VFR1200 - Non haters thread

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by John451, Oct 17, 2009.

1. dublflush

dublflush New Member

The VFR where it belongs!

Attached Files:

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Just returned from a 1600-mile 4-day trip on my 2004 VFR. It was very fine. I refueled every 150 miles anyway because my butt started to hurt. The range of the 1200F doesn't bother me as it can go farther between fueling stops than I care to go on my current bike.

I KNOW the 1200F would be great through the sweepers (as on Hwy128 through Steamboat OR. Any Oregonians here? But I sure would like to test the 1200F through the tighter roads. Now I keep up 'jes fine with mu brother on his Ducati 748 (granted, my 2004 has aftermarket Ohlins/Race Tech suspension). But I wonder how the bigger, longer VFR 1200F goes through the tight stuff. Any opinions here based in real-world experience?

BTW, John451, NZ riding is VERY much in my future next year! NZ MC rentals lookout!!!

3. Captain Happy

Captain Happy New Member

You know you mentioned Hwy 128 and I can't recall being on that Hwy! I'll have to make sure I scratch that piece off assphalt off my list...and soon!

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Well, 128 was a typo! I meant 138 from Roseburg to Hwy 97. My error. If errors are allowed here.

5. Captain Happy

Captain Happy New Member

Heh. No worries, I still knew where you meant. I mean, how many Steamboats are there in Oregon? lol

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    For those not afraid of running out of gas, getting stuck and et by a bear, continue that 138 ride up to Bend and hook into 20. This will take you into the mountains and eventually back to the coast in Newport and 101.

7. dublflush

dublflush New Member

To me the 1200 doesn't feel long or heavy at all. I feel confident diving into tight corners with this bike. If you get off a 600cc sport bike and ride the 1200, you will notice the wieght when flicking through multiple s turns, but that should be expected of a 1200 sport tour. Just push a little harder on the bars mate.
    Also wanted to mention, i'm getting about 44 mpg from mine( at high altitude) while breaking it in! This bike does have a 200 mile range if you tour on it. (barely) . I think fuel milage tests done by the bike journos should be ignored, as there probably thrashing the nuts off new bikes in extreme conditions. Just my opinion.

8. mary1161

mary1161 New Member

Ouch! ........

9. CraigC

CraigC New Member

I just rode my VFR 1200 thru New Mexico to Colorado, then all over Colorado and back to 104 deg West Texas. I lived on it for 8 days and a little over 3000 miles, I now have a little over 3700 miles on mine. This bike is a weapon! I did some 450 to 500 mile days, rode all day in the rain one day on very curvy roads that were covered with mud and crap from offroaders. It was still fun in the rain. This bike handles extremely well.

I had people try to keep me from passing them (other bikes, and cars, and trucks), shift to 4th and twist the throttle and you just reappear 100 yards ahead of them, there is nothing they can do about it. This bike is FAST! The suspension is very good, well damped and perfectly controlled like a Porsche or BMW.

I had my Honda Hard bags loaded up and a Cortech tail bag, I decided not to take a tank bag. 8 days worth of clothes and gear fit into the 2 panniers with no problem, Ive never had so much room. I rode for hours in a frog drowning rain storm high in the rocky mountains with 38 deg temps and sleet/hail on the road. It was stable and true, never scared me one bit. One of my hardbags leaked a slight amount, although not much and this was the only time. I packed in spacesaver plastic bags so no issues with wet clothes.

This bike handles as good as any bike Ive ever ridden/owned, including a CBR 954, CBR 900, Superhawk, and my RC 51. Once moving the weight and size just dissapear and you may as well be on a new R 1 that is comfortable. I scraped my feet several times going up and down WolfCreek pass, chicken strips are gone. Tight and twisty Bear Creek Canyon road was no problem, this bike is good on tight twistys and sweepers, makes no difference. I am in love with it!

The only thing I will change is the seat, I have a severe case of Monkey Butt after 400 miles. I ordered an Airhawk seat cushion yesterday to use for the droning parts of any trip. I will probably order a Sargent seat when they come out with one. I averaged about 41 to 42 MPG and typically filled up at 150 miles when my butt couldnt take it anymore. I think it would go close 200 miles on a tank, but I wont.

I saw another VFR 1200 on Bear Creek Canyon road ridden by "Hispanic Slammer" from VFR Discussion. Nice guy! He says it doesnt handle as good as his previous gen VFR but has a lot more power. I dont know, Ive never ridden a previous gen bike, but Ive owned a few other sportbikes (still do) and it does as well as them and tours much better! I honestly dont think there is a bike that is better suited for SPORT touring than this one. I am very happy with it!

Craig

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010