VFR1200F - Motor Cycle News - Input Requested

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by michael, Oct 5, 2009.

1. pgriff16

pgriff16 New Member

Actual info from hondanews.com dual tranny is optional

10/08/2009 - Torrance, Ca. -
    American Honda Motor Company's Powersports Division announced today the release of the much-anticipated 2010 VFR1200F.

"This is one of the most exciting motorcycles in Honda's history," said Powersports Press Manager Bill Savino. "The VFR1200F establishes a whole new definition of performance motorcycling, one that taps into Honda's rich V-4 VFR heritage and extends it into the future of Honda motorcycling. The new technology within this motorcycle is flat-out amazing and it all works together in a manner that takes the VFR1200F strides forward in how a high-end machine looks, works and feels. This is a sport motorcycle that will leave you smiling and ready for more even after you've been riding for hours on end."
    More detailed information and images of Honda's model line can be found on Honda Powersports - Motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters, Watercraft or see your local Honda powersports dealer.
    VFR1200F
    The 2010 VFR1200F embodies the next generation of new motorcycle technology, resulting in unsurpassed rider benefits for those in search of a sporting motorcycle that truly transcends common bounds. Honda's V-4 heritage has been re-invented in astonishingly innovative form through the fusion of advanced technology to craft a futuristic sport motorcycle created for the sheer joy of riding, custom tailored for experienced hands who ride hard, ride long, ride far and ride often.
    Just a few of the incredible features and benefits found in the VFR1200F include Honda MotoGP engine technology and architecture; a light and compact 1237cc liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 that pumps out amazing levels of power; Throttle By Wire for next-generation throttle response; lightweight and compact UnicamĀ® valvetrain allows for significantly smaller cylinder heads; optional Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission with manual mode and automatic mode with two D/S modes and paddle-style shifters; Honda slipper clutch in the manual-shift VFR1200F; GP technology layer-concept aero fairing for unrivaled air management and futuristic style; next-generation shaft drive system with offset pivot point and sliding constant-velocity joint for a new level of shaft-drive performance and control.
    The VFR1200F will be available at Honda dealers in Spring of 2010. For more information on the VFR1200F, go to Honda Powersports - Motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters, Watercraft.
    About Honda
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is the sole distributor of Honda motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and personal watercraft in the U.S. American Honda's Motorcycle Division conducts the sales, marketing, and operational activities for these products through authorized Honda dealers. For more information on Honda products, go to Honda Powersports - Motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters, Watercraft.

2. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Gonna need to see one up front but right now, I'm checking the Kawasaki site....

3. luvmesomVFR

luvmesomVFR New Member

Meow!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    There is a manual transmission option as well and it has a slipper clutch. :thumbsup:

5. tcarroll

tcarroll New Member

267kg...That's 588 lbs folks.
    No it's not for me.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I was afraid it was gonna be something like that...

7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    A quick check on the 6th gen places it at 536-540 lbs curb weight.

Can anyone confirm this?

8. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

can you pass me what you are smoking over there at Honda please:thumbsup:
    this bike just killed the VFR name.
    The V-5 version should have been the new VFR or at least a new 1000cc V-4 set up towards the SPORT end of it.

9. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

oh and tell me how your passenger will feel after 50 miles on that short moto gp tail.
    it is butt ugly and weighs a ton. pffffftttttttt

10. NWA_VFR700F

NWA_VFR700F New Member

Map
    I for one absolutely LOVE the bike! It's beautiful, powerful yet easy to manage, has more technology in the engine than my car has, and just seems to be the first of many modernized bikes...it was long time coming, and so glad it's finally here!

ok ok, so i'm full of chit :biggrin:

Looks wise, yes the bike is appealing. But here are my suggestions:

1. Drop the new engine crap and go back to a simplified V-4 engine with non-vtec true-time cams, a standard yet lightened 6-spd gearbox, and lightened kevlar clutch.

2. Cut some weight by removing unneccessary components such as the airbox (a uni-filter or k&n style lightened box would do fine), remove the undertail fender and go with a light-weight single-pass muffler (non-smog legal is always lighter :biggrin: ), simplify the rear subframe to save a cpl pounds, and i'd bet you could get this thing down to a really light, agile SPORT bike.

3. CHAIN DRIVE! nuff said! (once again, this would aide in reducing weight)

4. RWB color combo!! :thumbsup: along with a few other colors. Red, white, or silver just isn't a broad enough range.

5. drop it about 2" all around

11. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

Some of the features seem just plain silly. Why on earth would they put a slipper clutch on a shaft drive engine? I I really don't know what Honda is thinking, after looking at it more, it isn't sport, it isn't two up touring, it isn't ST, it is likely going to be WAAAY expensive, so I really can't tell who their target audience is. All the bells and whistles are way overkill for a commuting bike and with the shaft drive there is no way it can be considered any type of sports bike. I guess as always I just dont get it. :crazy:

12. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    They are looking to steal buyers of these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Good answer, this is the information age, good info cost money. I also have nothing further to add.

14. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

Agreed, but from the pics I've seen it doesn't look like the rear seat would be comfortable enough for the passenger on anything but short trips. I guess they are trying to create a new market for the solo ST crowd. :smile: Or as always they are planning on the seat being removed anyway and replaced with a decent one. Still seems very odd to say the least.

15. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I think the intent is that everyone get a tiny Japanese girlfriend or wife (or boyfriend/husband for the women.)

:rolleyes:

16. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

And just another quick thought on this, if this turns out to be as big of a flop as I think it will, it should help the resale value on previous models of the real VFRs :thumbsup:

17. wheelmanPEI

wheelmanPEI New Member

<My 2 cents>
    1. Is the bike a worthy vfr successor? It has a v4 engine, single sided swingarm and supposedly a decent riding position, which is a good start. However the weight has been beefed up a lot from my 5th gen and aside from switching to a shaft drive I do not see much reason for this. On top of that I noticed that they actually DECREASED the gas tank volume to 18.5L, this on top of the added weight and power will cut down on the range significantly. This is a strange choice to me considering the more touring-oriented changes they have made to the bike. The looks, while controversial, are starting to grow on me, and I actually find it quite beautiful in white as long as I don't stare too long at the exhaust.

2. Would I buy one if the price is right? I would definitely consider it, but the range is a big negative for me. It has a nice range of accessories available for touring though, and I'm sure several companies are busy designing aftermarket exhausts as I type this. I can see it being a big competitor to the C14, but I suspect the price will be a decent bit more.

3. What most excites me about what I have seen of the bike? For starters, just the fact that Honda is getting back on the V4 bandwagon makes me happy, along with the announcement by one of the senior staff that they want to get a whole range of V4 powered bikes. For this bike in particular, I like that they seem to have decided not to put vtec or cylinder deactivation on it, and the manual transmission with slipper clutch is very nice. I look forward to seeing and hearing these bikes in person, especially with some aftermarket exhaust cans.
    </My 2 cents>

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    +1 yup 540 lbs...
    mines weighing in at about 500 lbls right now :biggrin:

19. Swoop

Swoop New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Well, more info is now out.

First, I look forward to taking one for a test ride. Unfortunately the NZ Honda network doesn't really make that easy to do...:mad:

Good stuff: The engineering on the bike looks impressive. Reworked engine and transmission, FBW, slipper clutch.
    The back end looks "passable".

Downside: Smaller fuel capacity.
    The butt-ugly exhaust. Get rid of it!
    The final straw that may break the camel's back... that TERRIBLE looking front!
    :crazy:
    What lunatic designed that abomination?

After owning three generations of VFR, Yamaha, you may have gained a customer.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    carroll here are you getting that spec from? i havent seen that any where yet...
    all i saw was 1237 cc's and 77* cylinder angle bank... but no weight...

speaking of which... wtf did our 90* v4 go? not feelin it...