VFR1200F - Motor Cycle News - Input Requested

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by michael, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Swoop

Swoop New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The spec's on the brochure say the following:

VFR1200F
    Engine: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke UNICAM 76° V4
    Capacity: 1,237 cm³
    Max power: 127 kW / 10,000 min-1 (95/1/EC)
    Max torque: 129 Nm / 8,750 min-1 (95/1/EC)
    Fuel capacity: 18.5 litres
    Seat height: 815 mm
    Kerb weight: 267 kg
    Colours: Candy Prominence Red
    Seal Silver Metallic Pearl Sunbeam White

Hope that helps!

2. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I think Hond'OH should have a new designation for the 1200, my suggestion would be VFU (Very Fucking Ugly). What is up with the billboard sized fairinf sides and just WTF color is Seal Silver Metallic Pearl Sunbeam White?! If this thing's supposed to be a "worthy successor" to the VFR SOMEbody at Honda must be on Crack from God.

In short, if I buy one, it will be because everything else is worse.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. Capt. John

Capt. John New Member

Map
    1. NO - Honda have gone the opposite direction to what I wanted. This bike is not in the VFR tradition aside from some similar design features and being a tech leader for Honda. They may as well have just upgraded the ST1100.
    2. NO - looks like my next load of money will go to Europe.
    3. Not much excites me about this model - its the same stuff that each manufacturer keeps trying to trump the other with.

lets get back to something more simple and basic.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    108 hp and 56 lbs torque to 170 hp and 95 tq!
    62 more hp and 39 more ft lbs!!!
    lot more power for just an extra 51 lbs of weight... hmmm

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Regarding the weight complaints, remember this new VFR has shaft drive, which definitely adds more weight than a chain drive.

6. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

Yeah, the power to weight ratio looks pretty darn good. All in all, it wouldn't really be that bad EXCEPT for that darn shaft drive. The exhaust is butt ugly but that can be remedied by a aftermarket exhaust. It looks like they took the weight savings from a dual undertail exhaust and swapped it for the shaft drive. If they removed the shaft drive and went with chain drive that would save another 30lbs or so and it would move it back from the emphasis on what looks like uncomfortable short range touring to at least a much more sport oriented touring bike.

I still can't see what their market group is. Maybe new buyers? I don't see a lot of us with VFRs moving to it. If it's the ST crowd, it seems like they would be cannabalizing sales from the ST1300. If it was a new bike instead of a replacement for the VFR I would be more interested in it. I wonder if their strategy will be to eliminate the ST1300 as well and then perhaps offer a VFR version with a larger gas tank and other touring ammenities.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    :deadhorse:

In a communique direct from Honda that only I get, for every first through sixth generation Intercepter owner that doesn't like the new one when it comes out (ain't out quite yet) Honda will send ya'll home with a box of genuine Honda Kleenex.

8. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I kinda like it ...

... but not for the reason you might think.

For 25+ years, Honda has been doing relatively the same thing with the VFR - upgrade, update, improve, refine. The reality i$, the I-4 is a better platform for sportbikes, cheaper to build, maintain, modify, etc. Not that I like that (I'm actually NOT a fan of I-4's), but in business and racing sense, it is what it is. The 1200 is radical departure from the VFR of the past: Not intended to compete with the Tri ST's or Duc ST's, which, as a niche is great 'single rider' machines, less so for two up. You want two up ? ST13 or GW - double or triple pork weight. The XX got caught in a vortex - is it a sportbike ? a sporttourer? a superbike ? Honda couldn't grok with it, and didn't - and let it die. The ST could've been waaay more powerful, and lighter, but nope, it followed the VFR paradigm. The GW is all by itself, with a solid following - DFWT.
    So - They combine the VFR, the XX, and the ST13 into a ... wait for it ...

competitor for the BMW K12-13 series.

More power, shorter wheelbase (by 2"), latest engineering and new refined motor, lighter weight (don't complain about 588 lbs curb weight for a 1200cc 170HP bike - sheeesh), torque EVERYWHERE, and yes, possibly the world's ugliest muffler (as one friend said, 'the muffler aftermarket for that will be huge').

All that aside, Honda is chasing the BMW $$, because that's where the money is. And they're doing it with they're reputation of quality, handling, power, better ABS (C-ABS I guess), and other features that 'the BMW-like crowd' will like, and pay for, and be rewarded, presumably with better reliability (and probably lower entry cost).

I think the most intriguing part of the new bike is their claim that the shaft drive "...acts like a chain drive bike" - that alone could be huge in picking up new (read, affluent) or older riders. If it performs as advertised and doesn't have failures (google BMW rear drive failures), they will find new legions of fans - maybe not us here because that's not what *we* perceived as a VFR sportbike. I won't be selling my 2001 - ever.
    BUT - would I buy one for 2-up sporttouring ? vs. a BMW ? or <competitor>,
    absolutely. Not because it is, or isn't a VFR, but because it purports to have all the qualities of a great sport-tourer. Will it be more sport ? or more Tour ? Time and road tests will tell.

What bothers me initially about what I've read - and seen in pics - is that the front suspension, as listed in the specs, has no damping adjustments! just preload !! WTF. - YET - look at the pics somewhere around #89 or so, there's clearly a damping adjuster atop the fork tube, so again I ask - WTF?
    They couldn't lift the CBR1000 forks onto the bike ? <bites tongue> wait and see ...

This obviously doesn't answer what we've been waiting for; VFR1000 SPORTtour, GDC, lighter weight, more HP, reliable R/R :eek: , better cooling blahblahblah. I haven't heard yea or nay that they're *dropping* the VFR800, I wouldn't think it would make sense to do that, it's paid for itself several times over, but sales numbers make decisions, so someone go find out how many they've sold in the past 1-4 years.

Meanwhile, in my skunkworks shed, I'm working on a plan to up the HP of my 5G by 20+%. No details, cuz, well, I don't have any yet. I think there's some HP lurking in this motor ... :wink:

cheers to all,

9. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Commenting on the introduction of the VFR1200F into to UK market, General Manager of Honda (UK) Motorcycles, Steve Martindale, said,

"Although there has been much talk of this bike being a replacement for some Honda models, we don’t see the VRF1200F as a replacement for any bike and it doesn’t do this incredible new machine justice to view it in that way.

"It’s a totally new breed of machine in terms of performance, engineering and style, we’re confident motorcyclists who enjoy bikes with incredible looks, a sportier ride, larger-capacity and great touring capability will not be disappointed.”

In other words, customers of the BMW K bikes.

10. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

Unless they are also continuing the VFR800 they are essentially replacing it with the 1200, so it's pretty much goodbye to the VFR as we know it. I would think that most of the current VFR owners are not going to be pleased with the new incarnation of it so they would be losing that market just to compete with the BMW crowd. From what I've seen of the Beemer people, riding a BMW is as much a status symbol as anything else and I don't see very many of them switching to a Honda no matter how much cool stuff they put on.

It just doesn't seem to make sense, but I supose they know what they are doing. It almost seems like the SV650\Gladius, but at least I can understand that move, they are going after new and women riders, but it sure pissed off the SV650 owners! The VFRs market has always been riders who want somewhat comfortable SPORTS riding and this bike just doesn't seem like it is enough sport to justify it.

11. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

Wow, I sure hope the tree huggers don't find out. That's going to be a LOT of kleenex!!! :smile:

12. Swoop

Swoop New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have some bad news for his seeing-eye dog...:crazy:

:biggrin:

13. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    They must be customizing these communiques, mine says somethng different.

Mine says that extensive research shows that for every current VFR owner that does not buy a 2010 a kitten dies.

Jumping brands completely away from Honda results in unicorns commiting suicide, polar bear cubs dying of starvation and fishkills in farm ponds.

It also claims that, in comparison to other types of bikes, our entire market segment represents such a small niche in the bike world that Honda suspects we all probably know each other on a first name basis, and therefore do not warrant much in the way of consideration, hence their lack of incessant consumer surveys sent to VFR owners asking for opinions.

14. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    2010 Vfr1200

It looks like there are leaning more towards the "sport" & away from the "touring". :frown: At 6ft 3in I need a more upright position then that crotch rocket mode.

I don't really understand the reason behind the "Duel-Clutch" tranny.:confused::crazy:

Looks like it may be too pricey. I have an o6 that is fine by me but "IF" (GOD forbid) I totaled it, I would look at an 09 instead. :cool:

15. cfp5252

cfp5252 New Member

hi Andy,
    as a member of VFR Forum and on my second VFR now, a 2001 800Fi, believed to be the best so far, I would like to tell you how I feel about the new bike.

I suppose its a progression of the VFR name 750, 800, 1200 in keeping with the trend toward more power and the need of more mature bikers for a larger frame without going the Hyabusa, Blackbird, Kawasaki 1400 route just to get a bit of comfort, also large folk like South Africans, Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians and Americans need the bigger frames.

I have been wanting a roomier VFR for a while so this is good.
    I wanted the instant torque I found in the Sprint ST in a VFR and this I'm sure, will be good.
    I've always wanted a 1000cc VFR for that reason and take off 10% loss for the shaft drive and they're giving you generous 1100 cc performance.
    It must have braided hoses, heated grips are so cheap that I don't mind fitting those. A centre stand only becomes an issue if you want to replace a tyre on the road. I haven't yet.
    If the price was right I definitely would buy one, subject to test.

But Goodness it's Butt ugly.
    Fire whoever let his kid design the lights.
    This is the first VFR ever to need a tail tidy and replacement tail lights, hell this bike even needs replacement headlights. A first for Honda.
    Why must they spend so much money on an exhaust can that is just going to lie in the garage? Micron are probably rubbing their hands in glee. That's a given, if I can't afford a replacement can and a Power Commander to match it I won't buy the bike.

It looks like I can save a few bob on a replacement NRC screen as Honda have realised that we are not all 5'5'.
    Notice they've thrown that mock Vtec out the window? Silly bloody idea.
    I think I would remove that heavy front mudguard as well.
    And I'll be going round with a saw seeing what else I can cut off. It's back to the days of Bonnevilles in 1970, when you cut off what you could, chromed what was left and painted black what you couldn't chrome

Better still, they can come out with a VFR 1200R and save me the trouble. Really, I don't mind lubing the chain that much. Even better Honda could make an automatic chain lubricator that didn't mess like a Scott Oiler and give us the best of both worlds.
    Oh and a coloured frame, like the new R1, would be nice.

Be well, Go like Hell.
    Gideon from Velddrif

16. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    Corey VanBlarcom Henrietta NY

Can I ask these simple questions please?
    1 Is the new VFR1200F a worthy successor to the VFR name?

Not sure but I think it will be. The VFR has in the past been about new technology and great performance. In the last few years it has been badly in need of a make over. The last VFR is great but it is getting a bit stale and the 800cc engine could use some more power. The new VFR reminds me more of a V65 Sabre with the factory fairing and shaft drive but I think it will grow on me quite a bit.

2 If the price is right would you buy one?

Hell yes, already planning a trip to the dealer. Hopefully Honda will not price the VFR out of sales.

3 What excites you most about what you have seen and read about the new
    bike?

170 hp engine great ergos and a new 1200 cc V4. I am also happy Honda is doing something new again their motorcycle line up as of late have been a little rough.

I simply need a name and where they are from to go with any answers please. My email address is andy.downes@motorcyclenews.com

17. Rhino88

Rhino88 New Member

Map
    Mr Honda You Have Lost the Plot

The racing heritage of the VFR that first attracting all the discerning motorcycle who have purchased them over the years has been destroyed by this Battleship Galactica looking heap of ironmongery.
    Having owning a 5th Gen for 2 years now and everyday receiving a new and better thrill just in opening the garage door and looking at perfection on two wheels,I ask how many owners this new bike are likely to share that same experience?
    Honda has in one styling excercise in stupidity removed a whole large segment of its formerly devoted fans and owners.
    The VFR in my opinion was dealt a bacward step by the introduction of V-tec and ABS braking with the 6th Gen but at least retained all of the main ingredients of the mix to ensure discerning riders who knew the difference between excellence and mediocrity could enjoy perfection on two wheels.
    None of those experiences wait in store for buyers of this new behemoth.
    Our bikes just became worth much more by the introduction of this two wheeled monstrosity.
    Shaft drives are for purely touring bikes and auto gearboxes for little old ladies with zimmers frames the VFR legend does not deserve such treatment.
    Rise up and demand a rethink. Mr Honda Retract-Or Be Damned!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

18. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Motherfrakker! Don't you dare insult the Galactica like that again!

Agreed but I'm gonna hold off final decision until I can see one up close in a dealership...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  19. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    More stuff on the European site than the US one... kinda reinforces where Honda sees the market for this machine.

That looks about like what I'd expect after the V-4 showbike. It will never be as pretty as the 3rd-6th gen bikes are to my eyes, but it is not bad, esp. next to the Kawasucki cheese grater. The exhaust is not as bad as the B-King's (but close) - it will be interesting to see what the aftermarket ones look like. I'd like to see the bike with a tailectomy, and a nicer exhaust before I declare it ugly...

The headlamps are the biggest disappointment :frown:- esp. after riding home last night with all the light the 4 bulbs throw on the road. But, maybe they can easily become HID and throw as much candlepower.

Honda hasn't figure out how to get the V-4 past emissions without the VTEC-too bad for some, but I've had no problems with it on my 6th gen. :smile:

No chain? no chain lube contests. :thumbsup: I won't miss the chain mess if Honda's system work, I might ride the shaft...er, ride the shaft drive... er, enjoy not having a chain.

I don't think this 7th gen VFR is going back to the sporting roots of the marque, but it looks like a bike I'd consider. We'll have to see if my 30" inseam makes it over the seat at the Bike show this winter. :redface:

Peace.
    Noz

20. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

The VFR's only competitor (and worst enemy) in the market has been itself. Basically us die-hards who have been unwilling to give up the cam drives, complaining about VTEC, and expending them handle like they're 600RR's...

Honda had to make a change to get competitive. They're going directly after the K bikes (BMW K1200S/K1300S), which is damn smart. While it's not quite the hyper-bike the BMW is, it'll offer a super sport touring ride at a lower cost. They're finally going to bring the XX crowd back...

By the way. I like it.
    I'm done with chains, the VFR800 doesn't have the power for MY type of touring, and the extra size will bring it back into competition with the Busa, the 14 and the K13S.

If they price it right, I think they'll bring some people back to the Brand. Honda completely diluted the "Interceptor" lineage when they made a scooter that looked like the 6th gen. It's time for something new.