VFR1200F - Motor Cycle News - Input Requested

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by michael, Oct 5, 2009.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    What's all this "US" business!

I wondered if you might be back when I saw it... It's still not gonna be a bmw. The BMW has a BIG headstart on that segment and style and they have found a good mix. Of course most BMW riders I have know have love/hate relations with their bikes. They love them when they are working, but man on man do they get mad when they have to pay to fix one...

2. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Something like these? (Already a dedicated thread to this over on vfrd. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

link: So We Don't All Like The Muffler... - VFR Discussion

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I am pretty sure this bike will be a playa. Not for me, but I bet it takes a chunk out of the power-GT market. Jeez, I just made that term up! I think it fits. Looks good with the black Moto-GP exhaust.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Tell tell one the truth I can't give an honest answer till I touch and ride one. Like Reg, I'm glad to see it's finally out, maybe we can put this behind us, like it or not, we should open our arms as it has been badged a VFR. This should be interesting to see how this one pans out. Definitely a whole new game.

5. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Just because Honda calls the 12 a VFR, and yes, they build the things so they have the right to name 'em, doesn't mean we or our wallets have to accept it. That said, honesty forces me to admit I'm open to the possibility of getting a 12, it all depends on when I see one at a dealer. Who knows, maybe the click will happen...

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I would like to point out for the record that almost exactly the same things were said when the 6th gen bikes came out and yet we have more 6th gen members than any others. Now when we start getting 7th gens are you guys gonna be dissin them cause they don't have VTEC? hmmm, hmmm? I remember all the complaining about tech that no one needed when linked brakes were added... How about FI who needs FI? Just ask RVFR... We can stick with our old VF or VFRs or we can move on. I think we all knew that they weren't gonna please all of us. Just look at that thread about who would buy a VFR 1000? We couldn't even come to a concensus on here. I think the new bike will have a strong following and will sell a bit. I don't think they are gonna see CBR numbers but I think we'll see them tooling around here and there. And if they are anywhere near as reliable as our bikes, it won't be long before we are seeing 100000 mile 7th gen bikes. And then the 8th gen will hit and whoah baby lookout... Hoverbike!

7. SteveF101

SteveF101 New Member

I'm starting to agree with you. My initial reaction was no freakin way, this bike is an abortion waiting to happen. The more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it. For me the dislikes were not so much the technology as the change of direction of the VFR from more sports to more touring. The more I look at the new VFR the more intrigued I am with it. The additional HP is going to be freakin awesome, and if (that's a HUGE if!!) the shaft drive performs as advertised (I am more than a little bit skeptical!!) it might actually be more sport than I had initially thought. I still don't think it will be comfortable enough for passengers to make long trips on, but I could be wrong on that.

I am also HIGHLY concerned about the realiabilty of it. From what I've heard among other riders, BMWs are great bikes - when they are running. And working on it yourself? I doubt very many people will be able to, just way to much stuff to get right. I also suspect the Honda mechanics are going to be able to do much better so I would be concerned about dropping it off in March for a valve adjust and not getting it back until August.

I still don't think it is the right direction for the VFR, too much new stuff for it all to work right without problems and still not near enough sport. I still can't believe that with all the new changes they made they didn't put a decent adjustable suspension on it. The single biggest change I wanted they completly ignored.

8. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    From Honda's press kit, note the adjustable forks:

[​IMG]

9. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map

Honestly I love the shaft on my magna and my dads valkyrie so I think it would be ok on the new VFR

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Wonder if the Gen 2 owners thought the same when the fatter softer Gen 3 came out ?

Point is the VFR750F/VFR800F has not been considered " a proper " Sports bike since the the Gen 2 so as long as it has the F at the end of VFR1200 and a smoking hot Sports varient of the VFR1200 has RR at the end what difference does it make?

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i dont like the added weight and power loss of the shaft drive or not having the ability to swap gear ratios rather easily(though with 170hp and 95ftlbs who needs too?)...
    but i do love the idea of:
    not having my back wheel and swing arm covered in shit all the time
    not having to tighten, lube, clean the chain every couple hundred miles
    not having to buy sprocket/chain kits every few years...
    i could definitely live with changing out the gear case oil every year or so.
    who knows, maybe fill it with synthetic and the power losses might not be that bad...
    (blah blah blah slick 50....)

12. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Candy,

I have to agree with you on most of your valid points.

However....WARNING....don't use Slick 50....in anything!

Because of the heavy moly it contains I lost an engine, tranny and differential

in my beloved '55 Chevy Nomad (used it to tow my race car).

Locally it use to be called Slip. Stay far away ~

Carry On ~

13. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
  14. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    According to honda the new vfr has a curb weight of 588 pounds.

15. vwklick

vwklick New Member

Totally agree. Make it the VF1200 and come back with a Real VFR Racing style!

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    And the Color blue has a wavelength of 440-490 nm but thats not important right now.

The fact is the original VFR was measured at 505lbs wet and the Gen 3 was about 536lbs wet the VFR has naturally grown in weight with maturity but is still supremely capable as a real world if a little soft for a sports bike capable of touring just like the Gens 4,5 & 6 following it.

Even at 588lbs wet would like to see if the VFR1200 continues to fill that role, very well I'm guessing and look forward test riding one before evaluating if it's too soft or can still supprise the odd R1 / Gixxer through the twisties like my Gen 5 can. :cool:

17. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Looks like for the most part we're down to waiting until they release the 12 NEXT FREAKING SPRING...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    damn, for real? i really wanted to put that in my bike. ive heard so many good things about slick50 on this forum! :rolleyes:

19. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Candy,

Actually I was wrong about the moly being in Slick. I was thinking of Slip.

However, here is a long but interesting article on Slick 50 and other oil additives . . .

The GSResources - Oil Additives: Snake Oil. Thanks to Motorcycle ConsumerNews

As an old geezer I have been known to use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in my bikes, cars, boat and even my lawn mower with great results.

Here is an interesting forum (Denny, 8th one down) on MMO . . .

Marvel Mystery Oil – Denny - RX7Club.com

I know this is going to open a can of worms on snake oil, etc., so flame away ~ (sorry about getting off track on the 1200)

20. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Bob, Come down

Slick 50 is one of VFRW joke.............:wink: