VFR800 5th gen no tach or multi panel

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jocko99, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jocko99

Jocko99 New Member

Hi everyone! First post on the forum cuz I have no tach or Digi-Dash. I just bought a 2000 VFR with ??? milage because the digital panel doesn't work. What ticks me off most is I have no gas gauge! I bought the bike running well and thinking it was a quick fix so someone please tell me it is. :frown: I have check the obvious - fuses OK. I put a multi-meter on the blue clip and I seem to have power to the tach wire. 7V which changes with revs. The clock appears on the dash but I can't set it and the rest is dead. I see this flakey printed circuit at the back of the panel/cluster. I undid all the screws and cleaned the connections to the printed circuit but no good. Any one see this before? (he asks knowingly) Ground some where???

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    make sure the blue and gray connectors at the back of the dash are plugged into the correct sockets. They can be connected opposite and the dash will not work.

Are any of the indicator lights working (neutral, oil, etc?). If the connectors are swapped, the dummy lights will not work either.

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    additionally, everything runs back to a common ground buss. I would have to consult the schematic again to verify the gauge set does as well. Anyway, could be worth your while to inspect and clean the ground buss under the seat. Orange block taped to the harness.

[​IMG]

4. Jocko99

Jocko99 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the clips and they are in the proper slot. I will check the common ground under the seat as suggested. The PO said it just quit from one minute to the next and never came back. The Speedo and Clock work which tell me the cluster is getting juice but the connections to the tach and multi panel are bad. If they share a common ground this would do it. I just have to find the ground wire for the cluster I think. Anyone run into a similar problem?

5. Jocko99

Jocko99 New Member

I checked the orange groundclip under the seat and its pristine so I just put it back and taped it back up.I try to set the clock and its a no go. I tried every variation on the 2 button depress and the clock will not change time.
    I get power to the wire at the blue clip so now I will just go down the ribbon to see if I can get the things to work and solder the wire. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Its a major PIA to not have a fuel gauge or trip meter.

6. Jocko99

Jocko99 New Member

OK I got her working. Here's the deal. I opened the panel after the stealer told me it was $900 for a new one (Ack!) I printed the wiring diagram and went to work. I had power to all of the screws except the IGN on the LED Panel. I took the power from the Speedo IGN screw and ran a wire to the LED panel screw and BINGO. Houston - we have ignition. The Tach draws power from the LED panel so it was out too but when I gave the LED juice both came back up. Here is one happy camper. I never figured out why I don't have power to that circuit but it doesn't matter because it just needed a power source. Tach, gas gauge, clock - everything works. NOW, I really like this bike.
    Cheers.