VFR's death greatly exaggerated...

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Echo3Niner, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    With the money and time you've invested, I have no doubt you've created a good trackbike. I hazard to guess that if you put that same money and effort into a Gixxer (or any other race-replica), you would be even faster.

I have not asked anyone to put a pipe or air filter on for me, though I may. You offering?

2. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

As a senior member here you have not seen or heard of this social group??
    I did not start the group but yes I am a proud member.

I must say I was racing and had a guy laugh at the fact that my helmet was pink, just as you seem to laugh, as he told me no way someone with a pink helmet is gonna beat him, ah the poor lad tried as hard as he could to keep my pace and was riding way over his head and threw it all away in turn 6 and ended up in the hospital.

maybe you can figure out the moral of the story.

3. aks801

aks801 New Member

I think the bike looks incredibly good, and is total bad-azz. Can't wait to see it in person and then grab a ride ASAP.

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it does have a understated yet solid quality about it but expect the looks too grow on me when I see a live version at our upcoming Sydney Motorcycle show.

From the .PDF brochure already love the new VFR1200 dash layout and seat and look forward to studing the many new design details in close up isolation then how well they work together as a complete entity from different angles. :cool:

Certainly don't have a problem calling it a VFR1200F/ST and if a VFR1200RR comes out later then yipee. :biggrin:

5. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I realize that "whining" is just a word choice, but every individual's assessment has merit, regardless of presentation.

Personally, I think all that was really necessary was 25-40 more horsepower, lose 50-70 pounds, and make the frikkin' suspension damping-adjustable on both ends. Not a complete makeover with a lot of techno-gadgetry. And still no adjustable suspension!!!

But that's just my opinion, whiney or otherwise.

6. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    I agree, I like all of it for the exception of the pudgy front end and tank. Those two areas however I'm not sure I will ever get used too. Honda's new mass centralization kick shouldn't have gone so far as to mess with the balance of styling.

I agree ^^^. Why go through all that they did and skip some of the most basic consumer loving features.

7. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    I think its drop dead gorgeous.... it still has a tiny wee little.....

8. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    .....tank....

9. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    Would not get a VFR 1200

I would not buy a VFR 1200.

My VFR 800 has more than sufficient power. The additional weight of the 1200 would be a disadvantage. Probably it would be fine on the highway, but it would be more difficult to deal with when parking, handling in garages, etc. My 800 can be difficult enough in some parking situations, and I certainly would not want even more weight. Surely it will also cost more to buy and to insure.

Recently I returned from a 5500 mile trip on my 2006 VFR 800, including riding the Tail of the Dragon. With luggage, I averaged > 44 mpg. The 1200, with its bigger engine and the losses caused by two sets of bevel gears associated with the shaft drive, would use more fuel. And, if it were dropped, it would be harder to pick it up.

There may be a demand for the 1200, but it should be made in addition to the 800, not instead of it.

10. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    My feelings exactly, and I wouldn't even require more power.

Also, how about incorporating frame sliders into the design, such as has been done with the ST 1300? That could reduce the cost of insurance.

A weight REDUCTION would be helpful; it would make the bike easier to handle in parking situations, especially on uneven pavement or when there is a bit of loose gravel.

11. MattB

MattB New Member

Funny you mention that b/c that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for... give me the looks of the RSV4, the typically v4 power delivery in a 1000cc package, chain drive, light weight, and some EXPANDABLE side luggage with a simple mounting system like the BMW K12/1300S... but with HONDA quility. :thumbsup:

I don't trust Aprillia for a long term bike. I have concerns over longevity, reliability, and parts availability particularly.

12. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

seems the weight keeps going up

It turns out that 588lbs weight is for European-spec bikes and that the US market version, we're guessing due to those stupid California evaporative emissions canisters, weighs in at 591lbs. More importantly, Honda US is also quoting a weight for the dual clutch-equipped model -- 278kg/613lbs. Assuming that option will carry a price premium and no performance benefit over the existing sequential six-speed, we predict poor sales for models

13. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    Although I would not want the VFR 1200 (it's getting too big, heavy, and expensive), the dual clutch transmission shouldn't reduce performance. The weight increase for the dual clutch is minimal, but it should be able to go from one gear to the next with NO interruption in power unlike the traditional transmission, and that should result in a slight increase in performance.

Probably the market for the VFR 1200 would be different from the market for the VFR 800. It could steal sales from the ST 1300 or from some BMWs.

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Well as much as I wanted something a little different us VFR fanatics got exactly what was coming and we shouldn’t be surprised.

The new VFR1200 isn’t my bag baby, but it is what it is.

Think about the most popular threads for mods on VFRW (and probably VFRD too).

There are, in no order:

1. Helibar or Genmar risers
    2. Luggage for the VFR
    3. Carrying passengers (or I should say owners complaining their wives/ girlfriends want more comfort.
    4. More power.
    5. GPS installs.
    6. What’s the biggest tire I can fit? (Now it’s a 190; we can all look like the cool squids).
    7. The “I hate VTEC you should too”, or “I LOVE VTEC and all bikes should have it” threads.

Just to name a few. And what does all this mean??? The VFR has morphed into what most VFR owners want.

A powerful commuter that firmly places the VFR in the ‘sport touring’ category!

My 2 cents.

BZ

15. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I think of this 1200 VFR as a replacement for the ST 1300. That means the VFR 800 is not "being replaced", just being dropped from the line up. If you want a Honda sports bike, get a CBR 600 or 1000.

I really like the looks of the 1200 VFR. I didn't like the looks of the ST 1300.

Ron

16. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Well it is good to see I am not the only who does not like the newly intorduced supposed to be 1200cc shaft driven VFR - BUTTTTT UGLY!!!!! OVERWEIGHT with stupid gadgets. The bike is a wanna be BMW ST1300 clone and not worthy of the VFR name. If honda wanted to improve the VFR they should have incorporated adjustable valves, more horses without a weight gain, upgrade the suspension and definately get rid of the VTEC crap. As far as I am concerned Honda has killed the VFR - the tank is even a little smaller - fugly bike and will be a flying truck on the road. I wanna upgrade my 2k VFR and will probably look for an 06 VFR and keep it til it falls apart.

17. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Amen to that Emon07! ^^^

18. betarace

betarace New Member

so what you are saying is that the new VFR has morphed from a girlfriend into a wife. sad.

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Where is the challenge in that? I could have easily gone that route, but how original would that be?, you'd just be another guy on a gixxer.....the trick is to demonstrate your technical aptitude and development skills. It takes skill and personal commitment to do what others say can't be done. There are reams and reams of available data and endless available parts for gixxers, but to take a stock vtec vfr and turn it into a superstock caliber machine requires a willingness to do something unique. I have seen soooo many people walk past 10-15 nice sportbikes to come look at what I have, those with any clue know exactly what it took to do what has been done. There is always somebody faster, but it is much tougher to be clever and resourceful. :wink:

The machine is more than just a bike, it is a demonstration of knowledge, ability and ingenuity...something that seems to have dissappeared from the american landscape.

20. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    All the motorcycle companies are doing the same thing. More plastic more comfort .Looks like a car with two wheels kind of thing. A man in a business suit can ride it. BMW style is right!!Can't even work on it anymore. Can't see the engine for all the starwars plastic crap.

What is needed....and it is coming is... REAL MOTORCYCLES built by MOTORCYCLE people!!

Get rid of all the plastic hiding too much wiring and plugs and get rid of the samsonite luggage!!! Just a frame engine and wheels PLEASE!!
    Get rid of all the safety switches. Cheeeesssshhhh!!!!
    Safety switches for the Kickstand,CLutch,gearbox on and on. Whats next a saftey lecture safety switch before each ride!!!!!

IT is NOT A CAR!!!

And for the people that think the stoppies are soooo neat. Try riding on the back wheel in second gear for a mile or two,-MUCH harder. Stoppies...big deal.