Watch that side-stand bolt on the 6th gen!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Kevin_70, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Desmosabie

Desmosabie New Member

Yeaterday I thought two outa three wasn't bad, not today....50cent fixed it (nice guy)...I used a nylok, and a drip or three of that threadlocker stuff. It comes off again ima weld it on. Mother F'er. This problem reminded me of years ago towing a boat, saw it pass me on the road off into the grass, stupid $2.00 mistake, imagine something like that on motorbike...it happens, oui.

2. Firehand

Firehand New Member

Got home from work last night after midnight, put the stand down and leaned it over. And leaned, and- Happily I didn't say out loud what was going through my mind. Did catch it, and got it up on the centerstand. Pulled out the flashlight to see what the bleep, and found the bolt laying on the driveway, right next to the bike.

Bolt and hole got a serious degreasing and then a heavy dose of threadlocker when I put it back together.

3. 599hondaman

599hondaman New Member

Yet another side-stand bolt bites the dust! You'll be pleased to know that my my replacement bolt has remained firmly in place since July 2008, courtesy of loctite 242 (see my earlier post on this thread!). I still check it occasionally, but it's never loosened in all that time. The original remains somewhere in central France... :smile:

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I joined this thread WAY before buying my bike and this little 242 loctite thing was the first thing I did the very first day I owned my 2002.This is a bolt backing or falling out but kind of reminds me of that lame design that Ducati put on my 900SS, take alittle weight off the stand and its pops right up---spring loaded - thank gawd I caught it the first time it happened --- much lighter as well---------------stupid

5. jimwww

jimwww New Member

Geez. Scary thread. Gonna get some lochtite right away

6. 91talon

91talon New Member

I checked mine this weekend, and it looks nothing like the picture on page 1. there was a nice beefy nut and bolt in there. I'm guessing the original owner took care of the problem. LOL

7. Rich T

Rich T New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks to this thread, I went out yesterday with my neighbor's allen wrenches and by god, the thing was only finger tight!

8. Fantastic!

Fantastic! New Member

IMG_20130806_213641.jpg

Just got home and the bike kept leaning. It is actually stable on the sidestand but the bolt is missing. Odd for a bike with only 3k miles if you ask me. Will use the center stand for the night.

Temp fix for the night actually:
    IMG_20130806_222109.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. 2006 Interceptor

2006 Interceptor New Member

Replace that bolt quickly! My kickstand assembly rotated forward and the bracket narfed up the case where the shifter shaft comes out and it was a PITA to fix. Loc Tite is your friend.

10. Firehand

Firehand New Member

That's what I was afraid would happen if I left mine on it over night.

Another reason to be glad for the center stand