Welp, that didn't take long

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Rumblestrip, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    So was not in any hurry to find a Gen 5 as prices are all over the place.
    One fell into my lap last weekend and picked it up yesterday.
    Solid and clean 2000 with right under 29k miles. A bit neglected, dusty and dirty from sitting in P/O's carport.
    Will give it a nice warm bath then start the electrical checks and other servicing as it's at mile zero with me.

More pics after it gets a scrubby dub dubb.

20230204_152418.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Viffer J likes this.
  2. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Looks Clean
    I have a 1999 with 30,000 miles on it and progressing through the bike checking for issues
    There is no way to compare your 2000 to my 1999 and I suspect that mine was not maintained that well and here is what I have to go through so far

So far it will need new fork seals and dust boots, steering stem bearings, front wheel bearings, new front brake pads and probably rear as well
    pulled the fuel injection to install new thermostat, hoses and water joint o rings. The fuel injectors look ok but may send them out to be checked, found a mouse had a nest on top of the air filter and one of the throttle body butter fly valve screws are rusty, I guess mouse piss can cause rust, not impressed
    While I am in there this far I will check the valve clearances, plus if I can find a set of PAIR delete plates I will remove the PAIR system since the fuel injection system is out
    Both brake and clutch system will be purged of the old brake fluid and new installed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    34468 Randy and Rumblestrip like this.
  3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Certainly looks a worthwhile project to revive.

I am not sure if the Two Brothers logo on the fairing is just a sticker or it means it actually has a race can fitted. These sound amazing but in many states these are considered specifically for track circuits and will not be allowed for road use. You may want to do some research if you also plan riding your VFR on public roads.

Good luck - looking forward to progress updates :Pop2:

SkiMad

4. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    TBR sticker is on both sides and will be removed. Pretty certain they don't send me any checks, so I'll not advertise for them. Hahaha.
    Bike has the stock can but that said, the former owner said he had a high mount slipon "somewhere" and would let me know if he found it.

5. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    A bit of disassembly and discovered the air filter is new as of November 2022. But only 2 screws holding the airbox lid on.
    R/R is the stocker and ground as a bit loose on the right side. Will check the other known electrical pieces tonight, then will get with Jack on a proper R/R kit.
    Also found an apparent heated gear plug / port inside the steering stem with small flip cover on the top nut.
    Fluids replacement on tap for the weekend as well as a new battery.

6. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    And the "fun" begins.
    New oil and filter, fresh fuel in the tank, brand new charged battery.... chuga chuga chuga... nothing. Several times and never would start.
    I'm still smell-less from August 22 covid crap, but neighbor stated he smells fuel. Checked plugs and getting fire. Tried a couple more time and still nothing.
    Noticed FI light was flashing so checked codes... #7 and 19. So for 19, traced IPG wire and connector to under the airbox. removed the lid, filter and bottom to find a random "dead end hose and connector. Then noticed quite a bit of movement for the throttle body. Looked closer and the thing is sitting loose on top of the boots !!!
    Guessing the PO went monkeying around in the week from initial look to me getting it. He is contract construction worker and his daughter said out of town for 4-5 weeks. So can't ask him right away why.
    So will drain and pull the tank and inspect that area thoroughly to see what else whoever may have doinked with.

7. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    Deeper into the V of the motor. Seems during it's sitting time at the Po's place, wiring to the ECT sensor was chewed by a rodent.
    Replacement one ordered up and still waiting on Honda dealer for the thermostat and o'ring. All hoses and clamps look in good condition so will give those a go at this time.
    Lotsa gunk and stuff to clean from the valley, so will handle that while waiting on parts.

8. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    Yup, rodent chewing on wires and piles of nuts, leaves, pee and poo. Mask on then air compressor to get the majority out of the way.
    Then the shop vac and an old paint brush.
    Checked the other 2 orings when replacing the stuck open the thermostat & o-ring and also replace the smaller harness ( as the screw to one end of the wire is under the thermostat housing) and those orings are as flat as every one I've seen.
    So got those are on the way also.
    Fuel injectors are nasty as well as inside the throttle bodies. Injectors dropped off for cleaning and service while waiting on Honda o-rings to arrive later this week.
    Will work on cleaning up the blocks quite a bit more as I'm in there already. Removed the PAIR hoses and related bits too.

Steady on...

20230225_122506.jpg 20230225_122516.jpg 20230225_125014.jpg 20230225_122437.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  9. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    Injector cleaning guy called and has those ready to ship back. "Struggle Bus" was the term he used for all 4. After cleaning and whatever else he does, says are the best flow and spray of M/C injectors he's seen in a long while.

10. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    How many miles is on your VFR?
    Was the injector cleaning shop just for motorcycle or just a injector cleaning shop in general?
    Will you get a report on the injector cleaning?
    The one shop I have found up here charges $40 a unit, not sure if a report is part of it
    Are you going to use new Honda injector sealing rings or does the injector shop have them?

11. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    Right at 30k miles but it had sat for some time.
    Shop does all injectors but local guys that recommended them say they specialize in motorcycle and boats.
    Will get a report back with the injectors and the service includes new seals / o'rings.

12. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Great information, it will help me find the best shop for my cleaning, not many options around here so far

13. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip New Member

United States
    Map
    Give the local Honda store a chance and they mess it up. For the 2 water pipe o'rings, they ordered 91313 instead of 91331. So there is a wasted week.
    But the used small harness arrived so got in installed. Vee cleaned out and scubbed best it's gonna be.
    But did discover a secret cubby under the seat while lubing the seat latch. Not a fan so will look for a used stock battery tray / rear fender.

20230304_123040.jpg

14. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought PAIR block plates from mello dude two years ago. There are good quality and haven't given me any problems.
    https://vfrworld.com/threads/the-wa...-adding-cover-plates-warning-pic-heavy.54488/

I replaced the thermostat, coolant hosts & cleaned the fuel injectors on my 99vfr in 2021. Regretfully I did not replace the orings for the coolant caps. It took two months to get a new thermostat delivered (ie. pandemic) and I didn't want to wait even longer for the orings.