What and where would you like to live when you are ready for retirement?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Scubalong, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Any of you ever thought about your retirement? Where would you like to live and what would you do? I am still have a few years to go but would like to know some of your thought......I know I won't have a lot of money from SS so I want to be where I can live with about $2000 a month. I know this would be impossible in Ca so I am thinking of moving to Mexico, yes you read it right :rolleyes:I love riding and scuba diving so Cozumel Mexico would be my first choice. The reason why I pick Mexico because it is still close to the State and I can return in no time compare to Thailand or Vietnam. I can ride, dive all over Mexico and central America and it does not cost me an arm or leg :wink: So what do you think? Would love to hear from other perspective.

2. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm nowhere near retirement but my first choice as of now is somewhere in northern Michigan where I'd just ride (street and dirt), fish, and play guitar every day haha. Cost of living is pretty cheap up there too.

3. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    With my parents...hmmm wait... does that mean Im retired already???

:funky:

4. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    If it were up to me I would consider Mexico too, at least somewhere I can ride year round. My wife however, I can see never wanting to move. ......... I guess I could come up here in the summertime and visit her :)

5. Scubalong

United States
    Hahaha :rofl:
    I was suprise my wife agree with me and willing to move :party2:

6. Scubalong

United States
    Do they have a spare room for me too?:eyebrows:

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    One of my all time favorite places in this world in Cabo. I've been there several times, and I could see retiring there. Get a little villa with a nice view, and easy access to my 51' Hatteras or Viking. That would make me happy.

At the other end of the spectrum is this little dive of a town known as Pulaksi, NY. Sits on the Salmon River, and I love fishing up there year round. Winters can be harsh though. But the wife does not tolerate the cold, so I doubt that will ever happen. Although, I could pick up a place cheap enough to just have as a getaway.

There's a theme here in that I really enjoy fishing, and would like to spend my retirement being able to do that.

But in the end, my guess is wife won't want to leave her family, with most of them living here in NJ. So I suspect will end up staying in the general area, downsize on the house, maybe get a Goldwing to do some touring and long weekend type of trips. We've also talked about buying a camper and touring the US.

I'm 44. Self employed. Youngest kid will be a sophomore in college this September. My partner in the office is 53. We figure another 10 to 15 years, build the business up some more, then unload it (assuming the time/conditions etc. are right). So if I can retire by 55-60, I'd be OK with that.

8. Scubalong

United States
    I have a plan for you Pliskin, I will get a place in Cabo you bring in your boat so we both can fish and drink :drinkers:
    You and the wife can fly home and come back anytime...:senor:

9. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Deal.

Here is the villa that I was looking at.

Villa Stein : loscabosrealestate.com

The realtor sent me another listing, but its about 50% more than this one. However, that property does come with a brand new Viking 52C Open Bridge Convertible. Tempting, but to be honest, I'm a bit partial to Hatteras.

10. Scubalong

United States
    :hss: Pliskin I am not sure if I can even affort the guess house :jaw: I am a few dollars short on the price :pound:
    Ok change plan you buy the place and I will bring the boat :rofl:

11. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Friends of mine spend 2-3 months in Cozemel each winter and love it. Another 2 couples I know are in the process of selling and moving to Panama, sounds like $150K will get you a new bungalow with a pool in suburbia. Lots of Canadians their and in Costa Rica, even have affordable medical centers for those that break the ties back home to avoid our crazy taxes. Just not sure how safe it is off the beaten path where all the good riding would be.
    Think I might stick with chicken ranching in New Mexico when it's time to slow down. You're welcome to join me Long.

12. Scubalong

United States
    You are right Rob, while in Mexico I have met many snow birds, your people love the south for sure. Thanks for the offer I might look you up when they throw me out of Mexico :rofl:
    Question for you: Why are you choosing New Mexico?

13. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Was just kidding around about the chicken ranching although New Mexico has always interested me, has a bit of everything in the way of geography. Think it might be a place to enjoy the outdoors and have a little room to breath.

14. adamw412

adamw412 New Member

at 29, I haven't been a whole heck of a lot of places, but my favorite so far is Prescott, AZ. Beautiful riding in AZ almost all year round. Prescott has relatively mild temps in the summer, and gets decent snow fall in the winter. It's close to Sedona, Flagstaff, Gerome....I just love it up there in the mountains and the red rock.

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My wife wanted me to retire in Arizona. She was staying here! Actually I am retired but if I had my druthers, I would stay close to where I am, just away from all this cow shit in Chilliwack. Maybe I would move to Maple ridge area which is about 1 hour north west of here, but there is still land available that is not covered in chicken or dairy barns and accompanying smells.

16. Scubalong

United States
    Randy, you should listen to your wife......She is always right:rolleyes:
    I will visit Canada but it is too cold for me and there are no Nemo for me to find :wink:

17. Scubalong

United States