what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I know, right? "It couldn't be our fault, we're professionals!" Someone didn't do their due diligence and it showed, own up to it, that's all I ask. I've been know to forget to connect a wire or other connection, it happens.

2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Right there with you! Unfortunately, taking responsibility seems to be in shorter supply with each passing generation...

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    got another one...figured that 11 was a better number than 10...lol

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I rode to Cycle Gear in the 107°+ furnace this place has been. I picked up a one price suit and exchanged my gloves.

Did this:
    20170901_153715.jpg

Yes, my bike is hot, but I was splitting lanes on the surface of the sun... It is completely unfazed by this.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    reluctantly posted in classifieds here to sell my well-maintained r/w/b '86 VFR 700.................

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Herman, ARE YOU INSANE?
    I even drove in today
    Already 85 at 7am wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lint and Samuel like this.
  7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    It's still 85 degrees F here right now at 10:51 PM. WTF!!!

duccmann likes this.
  8. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    raining here but at least I got etch primer onto my bike..

9. StubyDoo

StubyDoo New Member

United Kingdom
    Today I changed the oil and air filter then dropped it off the ramp. luckily the only damage is a broken mirror.

Attached Files:

jorgescar69 likes this.
  10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Bay area has been 108 too last couple of days, toooo hot for my old age!!

A.M and duccmann like this.
  11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well two things, glad the mirror was the only casualty and that you weren't on it. Second, go find Randy's "I dropped it" thread and add your name to the list ;)

Having just got my 6 Gen back after someone backed into it, I'll say the mirror was the cheapest part of the repair cost!

12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    InkedDead to me!_LI.jpg 2.JPG I had an almost catastrophic failure on my 8th gen today! I took a ride up Little Cottonwood Canyon (The same one that ending my riding season last year with a punctured rear!) all was great going to "October Fest" at Snowbird Ski Resort. I was really looking forward to a Killer Bratwurst! I get to a lookout point and take a minute with the bike idling sluggish and shitty. I look down and see that my temp gauge was set on outside temp and not engine temp and finally see the flashing temp warning light. I kill the engine and I switch over to engine temp and see that it was running at 267 degrees FUCK! I put it on its side stand and within 3 secs all of my coolants is spraying out of my engine. I was like a mini geyser hissing and spraying. I sat for about 45mins and let the engine cool and prayed that it did not seize! At 165 degrees I dared to start it and it ran fine. I got to the turn out point and coasted it all the way down the canyon. I got it to my folks home at the base of the canyon and looked into the engine oil window and no mix of coolant and oil thank god. THERE GOES MY LABOR DAY WEEKEND RIDE TOMORROW! I am so pissed right now! Honda is not bullet proof and I would not expect this on a newer bike with 5,235 miles on it! I'm so pissed that she will sit at my parents for a week until I get over the sight of seeing her bleed out on me! Bitch. It better be and I think it is a blown hose or something but fuck that for now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Well, shit looking at the service manual I think that my water pump shit the bed or something near it from what location at the rear of the engine. Spraying down from above to the right and left side at the transmission and kickstands.

14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Bubba that might be as simple/cheap as a failed radiator cap. If the cap can't hold pressure, the coolant boils and the steam blows through the expansion tank and pukes coolant out onto the road. I presume the 8G expansion tank is on the left side of the bike?

Bubba Utah likes this.
  15. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Thanks Terry, I will look into that! It did seam to be coming from the left side. I did not have my glasses and just stepped away being so pissed. To bad it is a holiday weekend and all shops closed but it is good to know for a cheap and hopefully true fix on Tuesday. I will have to look up my radiator cap and take off the cowling. My main concern is at 267 degrees what the engine suffered for maybe 12-23 miles and when it hit high temp. I'm so pissed that I put the indicator to surface air and not engine temp like I always have on. Oh well! Thanks again.

Mike D.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I did about 80-100 miles in the canyons today, a very very fun birthday ride and spent a good amount of time on The Snake, aka Mulholland. Knees down, figured out my body position and picked up quite a bit more confidence in the tight twisties.

Tire report:
    Bridgestone T30 EVO front tires aired down to 34 psi grip like mad, as in damn near sport tires. Loads of edge grip right to the end of the tread.
    20170904_161026.jpg

My rear tire wore out before my trip to Montana and so I replaced my T30 rear with a Pilot Road 4, because they last a long time and with riding through the super hot desert, I wanted a longer lasting tire. The downside to all that life is reduced edge grip. I did slide the rear of the bike a few times, but luckily, it is very progressive, so no Oh Shit! moments, just made mental notes to pick the bike up more than I have to with the Bridgestones. Those are definitely more sport than touring, the Michelin are more touring than sport. But, considering what they are, they do pretty good. As you can tell by the different amount of wear on the tire, my rear is a much harder compound.
    20170904_161048.jpg

Scraped knee pucks, pegs and boots today. I really need to invest money into my suspension. I've lost 35# so far, another 20-25 to go, but I'm compressing it pretty hard. I think I hit either the center stand or ground the peg pretty hard, as mid turn I felt the rear tire get lifted some by hard parts. The stock suspension just can't handle the forces of hard turning, unless I weighed like 150lbs I guess.

That said, my 1999 VFR has over 80,200 miles on it. It's running mixed sport touring tires, with an old stock suspension and it was easily keeping up with new R1s, CBRs, 636s and even surprised a guy on a Daytona 675. It's one hell of a bike, all 500+ lbs of it, just leans over and digs in and grabs. I've ridden a lot of new bikes, many Ducati's, basically all of the Panigale's, save for the 1199, I've ridden Aprilia RSV4 Factory, Tuono Factory and RR, BMW S1000RR and XR and the Yamaha R1S, even a Hayabusa. There's a lot of bikes I liked, some I loved, but let me tell you, the VFR is extremely capable. Yes, on a big track, I'd get smoked on the straights, but then I can ride a couple of hours to the track, ride the track, then ride home. Hard to do that on a hypersport bike.

And, how many of those bikes are gonna run this damn well at 80,000 plus miles and still be this comfortable?

Not a bad birthday so far. Blessed to live so close to these roads, let me tell you!

A.M and Samuel like this.
  18. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I want to add, shim your shock and raise your forks to 50mm. I've done this to both my old 6th gen and my current 5th gen and it makes a world of difference. It improves the cornering ability so much while it remains completely stable, regardless of speed. The nut on top of my fork is flush with the threaded top of the shock, and it's been that way since I shimmed it right after I got it. Never any slightest hint of instability. I got some used alignment shims for free from an auto alignment shop, so it shouldn't cost you anything.
    Free mod that really makes a huge difference!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Bubba Utah likes this.
  19. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Thank you wise one!

I went and bought a radiator cap from Pep Boys per a suggestion of another rider today (Stant 11233 $9 vs $35 and 16psi correct). Being that it is the holiday only Cyclegear was open and they did not carry caps only online. They also wanted $21 a liter for ICE coolant, the only one they had and passed on that. I read a lot about putting what kind and the difference of any coolant per say Bike vs. Car. I finally came to the conclusion that as long as it was for aluminum, and hade the right mix of additives and ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors per the manual I was good. $17 a gallon and had some. So a savings of $42 and the cap saved me another $28 so I am happy with a $10 fix plus my time.

I went to work at taking all of the shit of the bike to get to the cap. That was a bitch since my moto is "I hate Plastic and Plastic hates me!". I put coolant in ran it for a bit until it hit 221 and watched to see if it went any higher. I was worried about the thermostat being shot. Worked fine, and the fan kicked in and stayed under 223 idling and down to 218 when throttled so the pump, thermos and cap held so I went for a test ride. Temp stayed between 198-221 riding in 95 degree weather with no discharge or other issues of leaking so I think that I am good. I guess the good on this is that I did want to change the coolant and she did it literally for me and boiled out the radiators as well!;-)

Riding this bike over the last 2 years have given me two firsts in riding for 34yrs. and five different bikes. #1 a tire puncture- that was good to experience and use a patch kit for the first time and was prepared, though due to cash flow at the time killed my season at around this time last year. #2 radiator cap failure- and thankfully to the group and you saved me a trailer rental and three weeks out having it in a shop and costing my around $200 to let me know that the cap was the culprit. That would have pissed me off even more than the event at that time. Both instances where on the same canyon within a week to the day of each other. I will stay away from Big Cottonwood Canyon in the first of Sept every year for here on out!;-)

Samuel and Lint like this.
  20. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Happy Bday Lint! Glad you had a great time! :Cheer2:
    :Boob2:

Lint likes this.