What is your oil preferance?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by -Mac-, Jul 5, 2006.

1. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I really dont understand why they gots to be illiterate.........

2. TheSkeeter

TheSkeeter New Member

Map
    Castrol 10w40. Honda dealer here in TX recommended over the Honda HP oil. Said their mechanics like it better, use it for scheduled mainenance, and it's cheaper than the HP.

Filter is a Mobil 1 M1-110. If you own a newer model Nissan, especially a Titan, Frontier, or Xterra, it's the same exact filter.

3. TheSkeeter

TheSkeeter New Member

Map
    I'd say each side takes a lil over 2 quarts. See, they do that to you so you have to buy five instead of 4 or just a gallon jug! lol

4. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    My VFR and Gixxer have used Motul 300V 10W40 but recently i changed to Rotella T6 5W40 on the viffer, it works out nicely and much cheaper @ $19 a gallon at Walmart. My gixxer still uses Motul 300V until my stock runs out.

5. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    Amsoil in everything. 10w40 motorcycle oil in the bikes ('86 VFR700F and an NT650 HawkGT). Both really like it, and the shift quality is nice.

As for cost, it's gone up about 20% in the last year or so. I'm a "preferred customer", which can be had by purchasing a yearly membership from a dealer. It's worth it at like $10/year (less for multiple years in advance), and saves around %20 on the cost. And they deliver to your door. Which I like because I'm in the middle of f'ing nowhere. Nearest parts store I can buy decent oil at is 30 minutes away, and any place that seriously caters to motorcycles is more like 45-60 (for say, motul). I'm seeing $10/quart in the stores, but I can get it by the gallon for <75% of that. Shipping works out to either a wash with store prices, or rather less, depending on how the weight of the order hits the packing/shipping fees.

Frankly, the membership DOES keep me going back, along with the fact that every vehicle that I've put the right weight Amsoil in has responded well (it was amazing on my high-mileage Dodge Ram1500 and my wife's ancient 200K+ mile pathfinder, now both sold, but they ran with noticeably less engine noise with the amsoil).

The bikes love it, and it comes out looking as good as when it goes in, which is really all you can ask for. We ran Rotella in the NT650 after rebuilding it, to flush out all the moly from re-assembly (WAY more in there than the clutch was going to like). Between the moly and the breakdown of the oil, it was surprisingly thick/darker. Still not sure how much was moly (which was the blue honda60) or the breakdown of the Rotella. But the Amsoil looks like honey after a couple thousand miles and a year of use.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  7. betarace

betarace New Member

110% Slick 50

8. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I've used Castrol since day 1, which would have been in the early sixties. Used to be Castrol GTX 20W-50, but now I use Castrol Syntec 10W-40. I can't remember what kind of 2-stroke oil I used.

9. davyboy

davyboy New Member

Map
    me too,and a oe filter

10. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    My long winded and drawn out opinion on the matter.....

Being an ex OTR trucker driver and rackin up over 1.2 million miles in the last 12 years I've seen some amazing things with oil and the big rigs. I'm talkin 22-30k miles between oil changes in a Detroit 60 pushing 500 hp and hauling an average of 20 tons of cargo each load. When you're puttin that kind of strain on a rig's motor and still expecting the oil to give you enough service to allow you to get in enough mileage to make your profit margin before dumping $225 for an oil and filter change, it's got to be Rotella T 15W-40.

I spoke to a few mechanics at work and asked them out of curiosity what it was that they put in their personal vehicles. Every one of them said Rotella T 15W-40. I wondered if this was just because they could get it from the garage whenever they wanted to, and they told me that it was the best of the best when it comes to diesel and gas engine applications, hands down. I discussed this with several drivers over the course of a few years to get their opinions. Of course there were some that argued that it was designed for deisel engines and that it doesn't do what a gas engine oil can - yet according to BP these oils have a higher standard for service than conventional oils? Hmmmm

So, I put it in my 94 Cougar XR-7 (30K miles on it at the time) and it worked pretty damn good. At first I went 5k miles with a Fram filter and was pretty impressed that the oil wasn't super nasty at changing. Then my buddy suggested putting a K&N filter with it and extend the mileage. So I did. At 7,500 miles I changed the oil myself and was shocked to find the oil was still opaque! My buddy was there with me and had that "I told you so" look on his face. Next change I went 10K miles with the Rot T and K&N filter and it was like doing a normal oil change. Unbelievable. Although it cost more up front for the oil and filter, I was getting 3.5 x's the service out of it. The Cougar's tranny eventually gave out and after the 3rd rebuild on that stupid design flaw I gave it up. Engine had 185K miles on it and ran perfectly, no leaks, no knocks and plenty of power. Just a dead tranny.

Bought an '02 Windstar LX with 17K miles on it and the first thing I did was an oil change. Ran the same set up in it and had the same results. My ex-wife always caught shit from the mechanics when I sent her to the shop with 2 gals of Rot T and a K&N filter though. They tried to convince her I was going to kill the engine, but she saw how well it worked in the Cougar first hand and always argued back with them.

My ex kept the minivan and I bought a '98 Contour. Same story, except that the Contour came to me with an inherited leak on the right rear of the motor, so I can tell you all honestly that Rotella T is the nastiest friggin smell you'll ever put up your nose when it's burning on an exhaust pipe :( Must fix that soon! LOL

I also bought an '02 Rebel 250 several years ago and on the advice of Don at RideSmart in North Phoenix (the areas BEST motorcycle training center, by the way) I was told to run it in my bike as well. According to Don, he runs it in every machine that he owns which is over 20 some Rebels and Nighthawks, and a few Ninja 250's as well. He's got a Busa and runs it in it too (at least he HAD a Busa when I was last there). Anyways, 14K miles on the Rebel and a change at 7K miles each and the oil came out dark opaque, still able to see thru in bright light but obviously ready for a refresh. When I sold her she had 17K miles on it and purred like a kitten. Of course there was no filter on the Rebel, so that meant I couldn't push it as far as I was used to, but getting double service out of an oil is still pretty nice. Miss that bike!

When I get my '86 VFR cleaned up and get ready to put her on the road, I plan to run Rotella T 15W40 with a standard Honda oil filter (cause I already have one). It's my oil of choice, I run it in everything I own, and I recommend it to everyone no matter what they are driving. It's a great all around oil that meets or exceeds just about every consumer service application out there wether it's a Cummins diesel in a pickup, or a Hemi V8, a little Rebel 250 or a ZX-14.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it :blabla:

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There's a supplemental in the archives about oil by a member who is a petroleum engineer or some such. He discusses various oils and in closing says he uses Rotella in his VFR. That sold me. I was using Golden Spectro and the fucking strealership was robbing me blind. Last I looked they were getting ten bucks a quart. +/- 65K on my 91 and no problems.

This also proves that everything ya buy at Wally's is not made in China..

12. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Walmart here used to carry Castrol syn moto oil, but no more. They have Mobil 1 but its over priced. I've been using Honda syn, but the dealer here keeps going up on price. Luckly my bro has a guy that gives him a deal on Royal Purple so I'll be buying a case of that next time he goes sees the guy.

On the filter I use the Puralator One PLXXXXX.

13. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    RedLine 10/40 motorcycle oil. Anything else will blow your engine!

14. engraym

engraym New Member

United States
    Map
    What beats anything blessed by a Priest??? How about the blood of Christ!

For just 15 bucks you can purchase the blood of Christ at your local liquor store! It must be good because it in a bag,which is contained within a box, with a tap on the end to avoid any spillage!

[​IMG]

Seriously though, treating your motor right by letting it warm up and not revving the piss out of it when it's cold allowing unfiltered oil to pass through the bypass valve is in my eyes is more important that the approved motor oil you chose to use.

15. Dominator

Dominator New Member

You can't go wrong with most of the recomendations here.
    Just remember that Rotella T6 is actually slightly more expensive than Mobil 1 as it comes in a 4 litre jug and Mobil 1 is 1 US gal or 4.75 litres. Same with the Motul stuff.

16. darcy

darcy New Member

shell rotella t synthetic desiel oil,have used it for years in all my bikes,first time I have put motorcycle oil in my bike is in the latest 2001 I just bought (clutch was slipping when cold)have read that if bike sits for long periods of time car oil may cause this problem,bike was not rode much for almost 2 years and I was unsure of oil type previos owner used,problem is now solved but next oil change I will go back to rotella,the longest I have kept a bike was 127,000kms st1100 zero problems running on rotella.I also look for the largest oil filter i can fit on bike and only change it every second time,oil changes at 5000-6000kms.

17. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    Isn't a US gallon 3.78L and an Imperial gallon 4.5l?

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    1. Those Amsoil chicks look like Trannys.
    2. There is no way ever that Rotella T6 is more expensive than Mobil 1 T4 Motorcycle oil... both of which are JASO cert. Regular Mobil one no.
    3. Why oh why do we have another Oil Thread?

Can't we have a decent Filter thread....? just once .. .

19. Dominator

Dominator New Member

The Mobil 1 is a 5 US quart jug = 4.75l, so you are correct!

20. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    Mobil 1 synthetic and Honda filters, 20 years with no issues and my Blackbird has 40k and the engine mechanicals are silent, it's cheap at wally world so I change at 3k. Just be sure it's not energy conserving with friction modifiers, I run that in the cars. Before that I ran Castrol GTX and had main bearting failures in my GS1150ES roller bearing crank, could have been the engine design but I switched to better oil since I don't love rebuilds that much. Here's pics of a GS500F I bought after the guy was going up a mountain, hot day, 1 exhaust valve too tight putting more load on the other cyl, oil was below the oil add mark, whatever cheap oil the motorcycle shop put in, results new crank, 1 rod, bearings.

Attached Files: