What you doin?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by drewl, Feb 9, 2008.

1. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Questions on partial trailer repairs

Is a semi-trailer like only half the trailer? :confused:
    (ie... you do the axles and wheels but not the bed)​

Is a semi-trailer like only scaled down versions of big 18 wheeler trailers? :confused:
    (ie... like the kind behind some Goldwings and other touring rigs)​

Is the semi-trailer just what kind of repair shop? :confused:
    (ie... you don't repair the entire trailer)
    (or... you just use duct tape to make repairs - I may have seen your work on the highway :rolleyes: )​

After a trailer has rolled down the side of mountain, does the trailer roll on wheels, or just side over side in a twisted heap?

Thanks for the education

2. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    Auto mechanic for over 25 years. I hate cars don't own one. I also work part time at an Aprilia dealer.

3. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Now I know why my wife, who also is a retired P.E. teacher, hears strange voices in her helmet.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  4. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    I am an Army Aeromedical Physician Assistant working for a Special Forces battalion based at Fort Bragg, NC. I maintain medical currency for all the "Green Berets" on HALO and Dive status, provide daily sick call, and take care of thier family members in the clinic. I ensure the unit's medical readiness for deployment, and provide advanced trauma management training to everyone assigned to the battalion prior to deploying. I am also a Master-Rated Jumpmaster, and perform duties as a Flight Surgeon as well. Been at it now for 10 years and have loved every minute of it. My last assignment was with the Air Cavalry in the 82d Airborne Division.

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, where my main role is to provide trauma management support to the boys and the "local nationals" when the unthinkable happens and train with my Special Forces Medical Sergeants at thier firebases to keep them sharp both clinically and with regard to trauma management.

I will be back in May 08, Lord willing.

chris

P.S...great thread, Drewl! I have often wondered what the boys on this site did for a living....seems there are a lot of Govt/military and aviation nugs out there like me...one more thing in common. Thats cool!

5. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    SFPA, thanks for your service. Please get back home safely.

6. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    SFPA, yes thank you for your service, stay safe and i will keep you in my prayers

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    SFPA , you rock. Thanks for your service. You have my dream job. The whole tactical side would (I think) fulfill my adrenaline deficiency. Thank you for helping make our boys whole.

8. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Awesome! [​IMG]

9. oss

oss New Member

ok i'll try this. i work for a gov. contractor, doing resets on ah-64's (at the moment) i really liked refurbishing the hueys going to other gov's. i just like hueys. while i was in i was a dcc on c-130's for the 1st. special operations wing,(tankers, talons,and gunships). we brought the rain,brought the gas,and did the search & rescue, got out aug. 91 (ANYTIME ANYPLACE)

10. Lifttruck

Lifttruck New Member

United States
    Heavy equipment mechanic! I'm currently an outside contractor maintaining leased equipment that handle finished speciality steel products for a large speciality steel manufacturer! Hence my sign-on "Lifttruck"!

11. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    It seems the Huey has earned a special place in the hearts of anyone who spent any time in them. My boss loved his so much, he brought it home. It is on a pole in front of the office.

12. oss

oss New Member

their like that best buddy that no matter how dumb your idea was they were there to help in any way they could,or an old truck that started everytime you turned the key.

13. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a software programmer for a non-profit company. It's all right and just pays the bills and the motorcycle.

14. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't stress the certs. Your only 18 remember. To get the most experience in the shortest amount of time, get a Help Desk job at a company that promotes internal growth, and at a company that has an IT budget. By the time you are 25, you should have a good 3 years of Network Administration under your belt, and be laughing.

Thats what I did anyway until I started consulting on my own time.

Now my time is spent PM'ing RVFR about bike fixing questions. I owe that guy a lifetime of free computer help.

15. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    I've heard similar suggestions before. But in all honesty, I still have NO clue what I want to do. I suppose if I wasn't just the friendly neighborhood geek and charged for all the work I've done, I'd have enough to retire already though.

I'm here under similar circumstances; I still can't figure out my bike problems I think I'm coming to my wits end and going to surrender myself to the hands of a mechanic; I looked in my service manual index for the directory of the recovery partition on the bike, but I guess you can't fix bike problems like computers. :biggrin:

16. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Semi-Trailer...as opposed to boat, camping, house, or horse. You know the BIG ONES.
    E-mail 1.jpg
    As for the condition of the trailers after a run-in with a mountain, sometimes they roll right down, and then...sometimes...not quite so lucky. It's really nice when they roll over while loaded with 45,000 pounds of HOT peppers!!! Yeah that is real nice. And the guys in the shop really like me after I tell them they have to work in that all day.
    You can see in the above picture, we put a new rear end on it, after the wrecker driver pulled it off trying to pull tractor, trailer and all up the side of a mountain.
    Hot.jpg
    Overheated brakes??
    ooops.jpg
    HELP!!! I've fallen, and I can't reach my beer!!!

17. maximus61

maximus61 New Member

Map
    I'm working with ROV's in the Norwegian offshore sector. 2 weeks on job, then 4 weeks home , very nice deal :)

18. grinder

grinder New Member

Structural Engineer and part owner of my company. I do a lot of seismic upgrade work on schools. That is making sure they don't fall down in earthquakes. I like the job, gives me a good feeling to know what I do may save some kids life one day and I get to see what I have done on a regular basis. It is pretty cool to drive by a building and say I helped build that. Only thing is, it tends to be the busiest in summer so it cuts into my riding time.

19. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Me? Sales...

20. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I'm a project manager, working for the government. I work on projects related to HAZMAT, bio-terrorism, emergency preparedness and environmental/public health. I'm also a registered investment advisor, but that's become more of a side hobby.