Whats the best tyre choice?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Turkish rider, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Turkish rider

Turkish rider New Member

Turkey
    Map
    Thanks guys you gave me plenty to think about, as it happens mymchanic is fitting a pair of metzs on so will havee to see how I get on with them, will keep you all posted on that one hoping to be using my bike sometime this week, maybe tomorrow if the weather allows it! Going through a bit of a wet patch at the moment, I don't do rain!!

2. camaroguy72

camaroguy72 New Member

Map
    Michelin pilot road 4s are good for commuting. I used Pirelli Angel GT's on my hayabusa with good luck, even in the corners. Never got quite used to the Michelin profile, but they do work well in all weather.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Still liking the T30 Evo tires. 400ish on them now.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    *grumble*

Starting to think about new shoes for the Silver Surfer myself ... I've now owned 3 sets of Michelin PR2's between my two '02 VFRs. I like them, but I keep hearing great things about the PR3 and PR4 models. I've never had a problem with the PR2s in the rain, but then again, I haven't ridden the PR3 or PR4 in the rain for comparison.

My tires are starting to square off (my commute is really flat and very few curves) and I'm getting scalloping on the front (seems common with the PR2 front for me). Lots of tread on them still, though - but I hae a full 5 weeks of solid commuting before the trip (140 km / 87 miles round trip daily). I'd hate to have to replace the tires in the middle of a trip and not have control over cost / where I buy them from.

I will likely purchase a new set in the next 2 weeks, put them on the bike, and save the old tires for when these wear out while waiting for another set.

... decision decisions ...

5. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    You missing a 0 there bro? Because thats not a bragging number

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Been doing some research here this evening ... here's what I think I'm narrowing it down to:

Metzeler Roadtec 01
    Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact
    Bridgestone T-30 EVO

I can get the Metzeler Roadtec Z8's for almost the same price as a set of Michelin PR2s.

I can get the T-30 EVO less than both those tires, almost a $50 difference for a set vs. the others and they get stellar reviews.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01's are getting stellar reviews but are going to cost me some significant coin ... even more than a set of Michelin PR4's.

Any thoughts on these tires / experience comparison in terms of feel, grip, and longevity (if you've tried more than 1 of these)?

... or do I stick with the PR2s???

7. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    PR4's are awesome in the rain. Can't comment on other brands.

8. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Like you, I've been partial to the PR2s. When needing new tires recently, I looked outside of Michelin at new options. My gut kept telling me to go for another set of PR2s, but I figured I at least need to move on from that model to give myself a new experience. Plus, those aren't being manufactured anymore and I didn't want to risk being sent a pair that had been sitting in a warehouse for years. I wanted fairly fresh rubber.

In the end, I went with the PR4s which gave me the confidence of still owning a Michelin. (The reviews on the PR3s were not favorable).

I couldn't be happier with my choice!! I rode in the rain yesterday which was very heavy at times. With only just over 1,000 miles on the set so far, they were stellar in the rain here in flat DooDah. There is a ton of construction going on here and I felt completely confident on wet paint lines, pavement grooves, etc.

I may feel like a set of Metzelers in the future as I've done more research into the sets you mentioned. It would be fun to spend a pretty penny on an amazing set of tires when I finally switch brands.

But if you are wavering at all with still wondering if you should just get PR2s again, I don't think the PR4s would dissapoint.

Granted, I haven't put 12,000+ miles on these PR4s yet, but I expect I will without any glaring tire issues.

Good luck in your choice!! :) It will be fun to heat what you get and what you think of them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

9. A.M

I agree! Complete confidence in the rain on those PR4s.

10. A.M

You should try rain!! I rode in it he rain on purpose yesterday just to see how my newer PR4s would perform. ;) It's sucky at times, but a fun challenge. :)

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    @Anne Marie ... I've never had issue in the rain with the PR2. Never once did they make me concerned.

I'm really leaning towards trying a set of Bridgestone T-30 EVO's. I hear they are quicker turning and every bit as good in the rain.

12. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    My T30EVO are very confident in the rain.

13. A.M

Same here with PR2s in the rain. I LOVE those tires. In all ways I love those tires. Lol

If you end up going with the T-30 EVOs, I'll be excited to hear your reviews!!!!

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I love riding in the rain, ever since I got myself a good set of motorcycle rain gear.

Makes all the difference when you stay warm and dry. :)

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

On my 6 Gen (commuter/tourer) I never liked the PR2 front and when I went to a new set of tires after the PR2 set wore out, I went with a PP3 front, PR2 rear combo and surprisingly they wear pretty evenly front/rear. After that set wore out, I went with a PP3/PR4 combo and similarly, even wear front/rear. So far I am really happy with this combo and on my second PP3/PR4 combo and so far both mileage and grip are fine. As far as the turn in and yanking and banking, it's never disappointed. As with all things motorcycle related, YMMV (literally)

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks, OOTV!

I was considering the mix / match for tire options. How did the PP's perform in the rain though?

17. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Just an aside: I admittedly know zero about motorcycle tires but I see that the recommendations tend to match the relatively quality for car tires. For my car I am not a Michelin fan as they make hard rubber and high mileage tires, which is too large of a compromise against grip. (I'm sure for bikes it is a different story.) I see Jeff's recommendation for Bridgestone and think that for my car today I have Blizzaks for winter and Potenzas for summer. Both are the pinnacle of grip among the current tires available for my car.

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I didn't realize how well traveled some of our tire experts were until I read this whole thread. Riding in Turkey has been on my bucket list for years. Just thought I'd share that.

19. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I haven't recommended the Bridgestone's, but my research indicates that they're a highly regarded sport touring tire.

I love my Michelin Pilot Road 2's - but I want to try something different so I have a comparison. Right now, it's between the T30 EVO (Bridgestone) and the Roadtec Z08 Interact.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    "Knight;512340]Just an aside: I admittedly know zero about motorcycle tires...."

Ain't that the truth. E Plurbus Unum