What's your helmet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RVFR, Dec 13, 2015.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Good info guys thanks. I didn't think looking at helmets would be such APITA, fun, yet WTF...... no one carries in stock what I want to try in my size for trying em on, shessh!!!!

2. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    That's the GT Air. I have it and love it. Its nice and quiet and really comfortable. The pinlock is excellent at completely getting rid of fogged up visors. The drop down sun visor eliminates the need to wear sunglasses in the helmet. Only down side is because of the two piece construction for the drop down sun shade the helmet isn't snell approved. No two piece helmets like that are snell approved I believe. I also put the Senna SMH 10 into mine and I can talk on the phone and ride and people don't know I'm on my bike. They think I'm just in a car or something. Overall I love my Shoei GT Air helmet. The ONLY thing I would change is the color. I got mine in matte black and would much rather have gotten gloss black. The matte is hard to take care of and keep clean looking.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have the GT-Air too and is a great helmet IMO but similarly I too have one small issue with it, the inner sun shade does fog up at times but as long as the chin vent is open or you open the face shield a crack, it doesn't stay fogged up. I suppose some anti-fog measures can be used to quell that too.

As far as comm systems go, I have the Cardo Packtalk system and found it quite excellent for rider to rider comms but also to be able to hear other sources while still in a comm connection. This comes in real handy one one or more riders has a Radar detector...ask me how I know. Prior to that I had the Cardo G9x setup and I believe that Cardo has a slim line version of their G9x comm system that is mean for the Shoei GT-Air and RF-1200 helmets. It's call the Cardo SHO-1. This too is also a great comm system.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I pulled the plug, only because they made it a deal +
    Normally I'm a Shoei guy, always have been since way back. I have had an Arai, just wasn't a helment that made me go cool. But they threw one in with the 96 vfr I got new, so figured what the hay, it ended up being the passenger helmet.
    Now today Arai has change it up so much It got me to look twice, they've changed there visor mechanism, and the venting and they have at this time better graphics IMO so.. then they made a deal for $40 over cost, thrown in a tinted visor too, just had to not pass that deal up. LOL, I think it goes with the VFR pretty good? no? ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Nice-looking lid. How is the fit? Usually Shoei is more of an oval shaped head and Arri is more of a round shape. But it seems both companies have differences in various models now.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Great fit, LOL once its on. SMH have to say it's a pop to get off and on. The Arai rep says they are that way for a while. He says to really pull outwards on the straps, then the chin guard below is almost in the way. Have to say after reading up on em it's a pretty well thought out helmet, sorta surprised me. and like you mention , I too thought they were more for round profiles, the new corsair X is designed for oval profiles, which is why the Shoei worked so well for me. When wearing it, I can actually say, Damn this is nice in here.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Excellent. ...how quiet is it? Love the graphics

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Don't know yet looking forward though in finding out, been a zoo here the last couple hours, putting out a BBQ fire any one say extra crispy steaks, chasing down grand kids getting into perplexed situation, looking for the dog, gee what else sheesh! and wouldn't ya know, the weather is getting nice, I need outa here asap.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, rough night......

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I just bought one of these. It was on special at the shop, it fits nice and is light weight.

[​IMG]

It has a built in sun shade, has a nifty chin strap lock and came in my color "yellow." We will see what it's like in the wind.

11. Solarninja

Solarninja New Member

United States
    Map
    I got an airframe pro...its nice...very light and well vented...whistles slightly with all the vents open but thats my only complaint about it so far.... 1481245917104-249191941.jpg
    1481245974464-410429764.jpg 14812461118461207375541.jpg

12. SML

SML New Member

Australia
    Arai Vector 2, the colour is Aluminium Silver - it's visible. It's super comfortable, has a wider view, great ventilation which is important in the subtropical climate, low wind noise. I remember when I was trying helmets on, when I picked up this Arai another customer commented, "the construction and style of those Arai are a work of art". :)

13. Ozz

Ozz New Member