Wheel conversions for 1986-1987

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by adam_in_48060, May 8, 2007.

1. XRayHound

XRayHound New Member

Yeah, FOX stopped making for street applications. Mine I got off eBay, it was listed for a CBR600F1 Hurricane. I made it fit, but Jamie converted it properly when he rebuilt it for me, it works perfect.

2. fox240

fox240 New Member

i've got a question for you. i hit a deer on thurs with my bike. frame and motor are good needs plastic and suspension. could u take the forks and rear swing arm assy off an early cbr and would it fit on a 86 vfr 750?

3. aus1000R

aus1000R New Member

...Jamie Daugherty is the man to talk to about VFR wheel conversions,he supplied the kits to fit f2 wheels to my 1000R,took me a bit over an hour to remove the old and fit the new wheels with no hassles. you can find him at daughertymotorsports.com

4. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

Thanks but no thanks

I was thinking about swaping front and rear wheels on my '83VFF but after reading this thread I'll just keep the stock wheels(which I really like anyway)and keep looking for tires

5. jamey2466

jamey2466 New Member

I put on a 2001 f4i rear rim on my 1986 vfr700f with a 180 not to much work.

6. VFRmeASAP

VFRmeASAP New Member

Tire Help

I bought a 86 700 I'm new at this VFR stuff could some one point me to a good replacement tire/ It has Bridgestone Batalx BT-17 RV 140/v80 18 in the back

What numbers should I go off of

7. Wrencher

Wrencher New Member

South Elgin, Illinois- about 35 miles west of Chic
    A little different..

Hey guys, I know this is off topic, so to speak, but heres my situation.

I have an '86 VF1000R with a complete front end off a '96 XZ-7R, but the front forks look like they'd be way too low. Any thoughts on using this?

I also have a rear rim from a 929RR that I'd consider swapping if possible.

Thanks for the info!

8. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Yeah, I saw your comments on this on the V4HondaBBS. The ZX forks are pretty short but with a custom offset triple clamp set you could make these work. Those parts are really expensive, keep in mind.

Also, the 929 rear wheel is pretty wide and I do not think it would fit in the swingarm. Normally it's the chain that limits things in the rear, but in the case of the wheel you mention I think the swingarm itself would also cause some problems. Again, figure on a handful of expensive custom machined parts to make that work.

Anything is possible!

9. Massimo

Massimo New Member

Hi, I bought a VFR700F2 (87) and it already had a 17x4.5 Rim (I think from '94 CBR600F2) with 6 spokes and only 4 holes for the rotor. It has a rotor but it's about 1" smaller.

I see that in your instructions you say Cut & re-weld, do you know of an after market solution? either bigger rotor or smaller caliper mounting bracket?

Thank you!

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The easiest way to deal with this is to use the CBR caliper mount, just a small trim of the mount and drill and tap for the VFR arm .

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
  12. Massimo

Massimo New Member

Thank you for the quick reply. Will the caliper from the VFR700F2 fit in the caliper mount from the CBR600 F2? I can deal with trim, drill and tap :)

Again, thank you!

13. Yonan

Yonan New Member

You will need a cbr caliper also and a small alum spacer made about 13mm thick. Here's another link to my post when I did mine.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-generation-1983-1989/29509-my-rear-f-conversion.html

Well worth it I love riding mine now even more and the looks speak for themselves.

14. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    love your bike! i'd like to know a little more about the exhaust.

15. crashtech

crashtech New Member

Disapointing but I just got an email from him and he ONLY sells rear spacer kits that is it??? If you have an 86 700/750 you wont get much....Calling cobalt today and see if they can help..

16. crashtech

crashtech New Member

Please help yonam...Who did you get the correct wheel stuff from to install your f2 wheels?? Just got an email from Daugerty and no go there..just a rear spacer..Might just be the caliper spacer..I am looking for more info then that...

The lead post on this thread says to turn down the front rotor mounts 11mm "he was told"..LOL Does anybody know the exact amount??? Done it before??

Thanks for any help....
    crash

17. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    There are some options that use the F2 caliper bracket, so let me know if you would like more information concerning that as anb option.

As for the front wheel, the F2 wheel requires machining to fit the VFR700. Typically it's easier for guys to just swap an entire front end. The most common are F2/F3 fronts, but YZF600's are also fairly common.

Have you checked out hondaVFR.org ?

18. crashtech

crashtech New Member

Well I have access to a machineist and build bikes so that is not an issue. I just want to be exact on the proceedure and measurments and cant seen to find any?? I am not affraid to spend money but like to do some work myself and help with costs...

I will call you this evening Jamie and maybe we can get a plan ironed out with a list of parts I need to gather..Thats all I wanted was info if I cant just buy turn key.....Got to have the F2 wheels....to many here to not have any rock solid measurments....Would hate to buy wheel and sent to machinist and be out a wheel...

19. Yonan

Yonan New Member

VFRCHUCK did my front wheel. Same guy who produces VFR body work. Dont go by that 11mm, more involved than just that. The spacer and speedo drive have to be machined too. I have his contact info at home, I'll post it up tonight. Just sent it to him a month later I bolted it right in. Jamie does both the wheel spacers and the caliper arm spacer just tell him if your using the f2 caliper. Its a little intimidating at first, but it really wasn't too hard to pull off.

20. crashtech

crashtech New Member

Thank you sir!!! That is the info I need. Just pm me or email at brettsbikeworks@gmail.com Thank you for that in advance!!! I am not affraid of doing it I just need the right people. Jamie on rear wheel and vfrchuck front. Its just easier to find a set of wheels then a complete front end...