Where in the West are SLOVFR and Reg71

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by reg71, Jul 25, 2008.

1. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Quarter Gallon Left!! Good thing you coasted down the hill. Glad you guys got home OK.
    Rest up, the BBQ is near.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all. I am awake and alive. First off, a hearty thatnks to all our hosts on this epic ride. It was great to meet you or see you again. We appreciate you taking the time out to lead us on some of your local twistys and we would of course love to do the same for you here in our neck of the woods. Some of you we'll see if a few weeks. WE had a great time. We survived, we thrived. I kept a sort of journal and will try to organize it into something and post up something for you guys who are literate (both of you) to peruse at your leisure. It's good to be home in CA where lane splitting is legal and the cops don't bat an eye at a bike doing 75 down the highway...

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Cool, everyone is Home, Ha SLO, nothing to worry, I see 230+ all the time. just for kicks. and would also like to know, I've gone 25+ miles on the low fuel light thinking Oh no, only to fill up and find I still have a 1/2 gallon left which is good for what another 20+ miles :wink:

Yep. Waiting and ready to read this epic adventurer.

4. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I awake at noon after telling myself several times this morning to stay in bed and rest. I arise to find a feeling of both relief and sadness, as I am home but the trip is over. I get up and shower and make some coffee. I feel a bit confined now in my own space and open the shades on all the windows (something I rarely do). This helps little but its something. Im off to recoup and drink the coffee in which I already know how it will taste. I will miss the search for the local restaurant to get our first cup then comment on its quality.....

5. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map

Well I hope you enjoyed RW's coffee quality, I always try to talk the wife into the cheap stuff at Costco since I don't drink it but she insists on the beans that cost $14.00 a pound :tsk:

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Central Coast ride in less than 3 weeks, you'll be all better then......quit your whinin' and post up some damn pics and video already......

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    we enjoyed the hell out of it... good thing we didn't ask you to make another pot like we wanted to. we didn't know it was so pricey. we drank our coffee like juan valdez was pointin a gun at us every mornin... I bet we drank a few gallons all totalled on this trip.

8. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    The start of it all :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    the start

boy we looked so chipper that first day. we should have had Terri take a pic of us at the mexican restaurant...

10. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Our trip through the smoke in Northern Cali and I had to pull Reg away from the LADIES at what I believe was our second gas stop ....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Let the fun began, Nice, this outa be good.

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    yo Reggie, did you know your right front running light is out?

13. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    It matches his right rear one being out too ...:thumbsup:

14. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well after the smoke cleared we made our way to weed with communications failing between us, at least electronically.

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

We gassed up and asked for a place to eat was was referred a few doors down to the HI-LO Cafe. We saw one bike parked out front with room for us but by the time we turned around to park a damn roach coach took our spot so we parked about 5 feet behind the infamous Nissan with no rear view mirrors. Our Prime Rib dinner arrived and we were told about motorcycles trying to get it on out on the street...

[​IMG]

After dinner we asked about how far to Crater lake and the type of roads. We were told the road to Klamath Falls were straight but Crater lake was really curvy. Its was getting Dark and we headed out to see how far we could make it. We stopped in a rest stop and thought about camping there but was not sure about the laws. We looked on the GPS and a few maps but was little help. I found a KOA on the GPS and we headed there. Once arriving at the KOA and its $28.00 for a spot we decided to venture north and try to find Klamath Fort Camp site. Going up 97 I spotted a sign that said "Halgenstien Park". We turned off and followed the signs that looked like a nice place with a big pond and a few other cars that appeared people were sleeping in. There wasn't any NO CAMPING signs so Reg got the tent up for us in a nice grassy spot next to the pond. Here is a short video so you can hear the train and freeway traffic. Good thing I had 2 sets of ear plugs! How you like those bugs!

[​IMG]

This was the morning I awoke Reg and never heard the end of it....crack of dawn he said he would be up but all I saw was crack of his ass :eek:

We packed up and had a choice to back track to town or push ahead and look for Coffee and Grub. We pulled out to continue to Crater Lake just before 7:00am. Every little cafe we passed was closed or abandon. And every one we ran across like this, we only grew more hungry and yearning for that first cup of Joe. We stopped and an over look and took some shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were close to Crater Lake so we headed further north and found the sign that said resturant and gift shop. What a relief it was to see the OPEN sign :whoo: Bring on the COFFEE! Turns out they have a Buffet Breakfast available, right up my alley! Ill pause here and hope Reg will chime in on his version of the buffet experience :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  15. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    It's like a GI JOE fashion show...
    "EES next, Svim Vear!!!"
    [​IMG]

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    So far so good, keep it coming.

17. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like Reg is leaving me High in Dry on the ride report here...Im sure he will chime in with his own colorful story.. I forgot to mention the two fawns and Doe that were in the road as I came around a tight corner...I got the deer in the headlight look and freeze from them before they scampered off to the side of the road as we passed. Well after Reg just about got us kicked out of the restaurant I headed for the gift shop for a Hat and Pin. We dumped our loads and headed to see the lake finally....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some slow Video but you can see there was still snow in the ground in places:

[​IMG]

18. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    We enjoyed Crater lake and drove north around the rim. Great scenery with the snow still on the side of the road at spots. We needed gas so we headed for the nearest station shown on the GPS about 18 miles away at the Hwy 97 connection. I was getting a bit lonely not being able to reply to Reg's comments coming over the communicator. I could hear him but I could not transmit. Thus I could not tell him to please quit singing, so I knew I had to do something!
    [​IMG]

After gas we headed for Bend Or. to find a motorcycle dealer or a place that had some kind of radios. I saw a motorcycle shop along the way and we stopped. Not much there unless you needed a spare head for your knuckle head or maybe a hard tail fender.....we quickly left....:bolt:

Arriving in Bend we first came across a Joes Sporting goods with a huge tent sale going on, just my place. We looked around inside and could not locate any radios, wtf??? We asked a nice young lady and she said they had some outside in the tent sale. Reg picked up some bungie cords and stated he needed to find the bathroom and ask me to hold on to them. I did and waited for awhile....no Reg. I wanted to get outside to the tent so I paid for the Bungies , I wonder if he planed that?, and went to search for the radios. Wow did they have alot of good stuff there at great prices! I found a small first aid kit, cell phone holder (disappeared somewhere on the trip before I could even use it!), beef jerky and a nice complete set of Midland GXT-850 Radios. Very nice set with 2 radios, 2 headsets with boom mic, Ac and DC charger! Perfect I thought and was only $58.00 with no tax !:whoo:
    [​IMG]

We opened up the package and did a quick test in the lot. Seemed ok but when we got on the road it was a different story and mostly static was heard when we tried to talk. Very bummed out at this point. We both were! :pout::pout:
    [​IMG]

We continued up Hwy 97 for The Dalles. I cant remember what stretch of road it was, maybe before bend but we escaped the law, once... We were cruising along and all of a sudden a girl on a Hog came by us and got behind the truck in front of us. We figured she knew them has she was giving them the hello wave and the truck had a Hog in the back as well. We followed for awhile bit got bored and passed her and the truck she rode up on :smile: :vtr2: Up the road we got behind some more traffic. I could see in my mirrors that the hot rod girl Hog was hot on our tail about 1/4 mile back. Just about then Johnny law goes by in the other direction. We were safely behind traffic at this time so keeping cool. However I did see brake lights as he passed Miss Hog. After the next down hill I did not see the Hogs headlight so I suppose the Pig got the Hog sorta speak :drums: Our time was soon to come....

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    My take

Ok, I have been letting Brian post up about the ride due to a grueling work schedule to make up for being gone. Next paycheck should be decent, though... I have only gotten about halfway through the pics trying to name them so I know when where they were before it's too late. I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get the whole journey typed up as the next couple weeks remain busy. I have my makeshift journal, though, and hopefully I won't forget too much. I hope to make it something worth reading with the occasional pic thrown in for those of you literacy challenged (you would know who you were if you were reading this right now instead of just staring at the squigglies!)

Anyway, stay tuned. I haven't forgotten and I will deliver your money's worth.

20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Good to know you're still with us, ya had me going there for a while. not like you to be so quiet.