Which Chain/Sprockets?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by OCLandspeeder, Jan 27, 2013.

1. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    My VFR's chain is stretched. I keep having to adjust it on every other ride or so and it looks to be near its service limit.

I'm either going to get JT Sprocket or Superlite but not sure. Those Renthal aluminum sprockets look really cool.

My thought is to get a black rear sprocket (to help it match my black wheels). The ones with those lightening holes, with a gold DID X-ring chain. Anybody put together something similar? Can anyone post up pictures of their aftermarket set on a 5th or 6th gen please? I would appreciate viewing what you have done and how it looks. I know....I'm a slave to fashion. I want my chain & sprocket to look good because I obsess over these things. Please don't ask me to explain....it just is. :wink:

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    We don't take pictures of our chain and sprocket......:rolleyes:
    Stash monster might have a few pictures :pound:
    Aluminum sprocket will not last
    I use DID X ring using steel sprockets
    Check out sprocket center.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    ++^ with the DID. BTW. The chain and sprockets wear. They do not stretch.

If you use a wax type chain lube and wipe the sides well after applications, they will shine up pretty good while still lubing the O rings. The links are lubed and sealed from the factory. I really like the DuPont Chain Saver. Nice and clean and no fling.

4. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    Yup. I'll stay away from the Aluminums. I put one of these in a prior motorcycle and it seemed to last over 20k miles. But I kept it well lubed. On my prior VFR I put on a steel sprocket and never had any issues. It did look bland. On this go around I wanted a bit more bling. I think I will go with either a JT sprocket, which is silver, or a Superlite, which is all black with a few "lightening" holes. They're not relaly lightening holes but extra set of mounting holes to fit other VFR generations per their website. Definitely will go for the latest DID "gold chain". :smile:

5. Valentino Robbie

Valentino Robbie New Member

I replaced mine last month. Went for JT and DID as that is the Honda OEM.
    Told my guy I didn't want weight saving or bling...just go for strength. And that he did. Saved a bit of dosh too so i'm double happy...compared to all this aluminium stuff that would last as long as tin foil of course.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Steel sprockets can be powdercoated. Chains too. The chains look cool but don't work worth a shit.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I had a pair of aluminum rear-sets on a small race bike, a pal commented that, "hell, if you wana save weight before a race, why dont you take a shit."

My scatalogical point is this, for a street bike like the VFR or even a race bike in some situations, why wouldnt you go with the more durable steel product?

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm waiting for chains with an LED on each link. I suppose now we will hear all the "shafties" whine because they can't get them.

9. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    JT sprockets and DID O-ring chain, -1 / +2 from factory, Dupont Chain Saver (wax lube) = Very happy and very clean. Adjusted chain once after break-in (only slightly) but have not had to adjust for past 2k miles.