Which other forks are compatable with 6th Gen?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ron47, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ron47

ron47 New Member

Guys, if this info is available, I apologize for not searching the right place to find it. Been through about 100-posts and have not gotten an answer yet. Is there a direct swap fork that will work on my 2002 (other than the other 6th gen forks)? At this stage, I have been unable to find any used forks that aren't completely toast (big crimp). I sure as he11 don't want another project that involves a requirement for mechanical expertise like relocating the calipers or replacing the triple clamp. :tongue:

2. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    AFAIK, 6th gen forks are unique and there is no other bike out there with forks that are a direct bolt on replacement. Which part of your forks did you mess up when installing the RaceTech parts? Perhaps it would be possible to find a damaged fork with good internals. Many times the internals will survive wrecks even though the fork tube and slider do not.

3. ron47

ron47 New Member

That's what I am hoping to find, internals that aren't damaged. Have inquiries to several salvage yards and on different forums seeking components. I was hoping that at least there might be drop-in internals from other Hondas I could use.

4. waldrm

waldrm New Member

If you also want to unlink the brakes you can use 43mm F4i forks which will also give you preload and damping adjustment

5. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I did a lot of searching on this at one point and time and from what I remember, F4i internals would drop in. The kicker was that the F4i internals had compression adjustment and you had to replace the fork caps as well. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of if going this route. I'm sure that the caps themselves would be able to be reused but you would have to replace at least the preload adjuster for one that did preload + compression.

6. ron47

ron47 New Member

Guys, I'm here to tell ya that the only thing F4i forks have in common with 6th gen forks is the tube diameter. The internals are entirely different in make up and length, the caliper mounts and fender mount is different.

Soon as I get some decent pics I'll have a set of F4i's in the classifieds section. :)