Who Hates Harley Davidson?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Bubba Zanetti, Jan 31, 2008.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't know much about Harleys but the riders here do know and seem to like them, so what the fuk do I care, I don't ride them either. A Harley is way too heavy for my little garage- I have to push it around- can't stand heavy bikes- the vfr is almost too heavy too. I liked my 400 pound 600 but it rides to hard. Any way this is like :deadhorse:

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Most Harleys are air cooled. This makes them great for the same cooking technique some dude figured oot, by cooking some meat near the exhaust manifolds on a car before they started hiding them. Harleydoods picked up on this and use it for whipping up some roadkill sloppy Joes. This BTW is the official food of harleydoods in the US.

I bet that the same could be done with dressed oot cats as long as they were defrosted. Let us know how well this works oot for you.

3. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    So you are saying you really like Harley riders?

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I guess you live on road Kill at the Troll Bridge
    after the eagles get though with it.

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    "dirt-free beamer power rangers" I love it!! Just like all the big bad 4-wheel drive SUV's and pickups that never see even a gravel road.

6. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    This is not Harley specific but something happened that left me scratching my head. I want to start off by saying that when I leave the house on my bike I am dressed to ride. I have on boots, gloves, helmet, jacket and pants with armor. Every piece of clothing I wear, with possibly the exception of my T-shirt and my tighty-whiteies has a purpose designed to protect me in the event of an accident. Yesterday I was visiting a friend, at his shop, when a neighbor rolled up on his Harley Glide Bagger Something. It was black and shiny with lots of chrome. He was dressed to ride but as I got a chance to look him over at close range I noticed that he was dressed in a costume. The attire was not for protection as much as it was for the "look." First I noticed the absence of a helmet, instead there was the requisite dew-rag head gear. The dew-rag is so effective at reducing head injuries that all the MotoGP riders sport them (just kidding.) Next there was the leather vest. I am pretty sure that the biker vest is just a place holder for all the Sturgis patches and other badges of Harley accomplishment. It also proves your individuality because all the other Harley riders have one just like it. It also seems that the biker vest now must be closed with decorative chains instead of a button. I guess this is a way of closing the vest with an expanding waistline. The gloves, engineer boots and the chain wallet completed the costume. I have nothing against gloves, engineer boots or chain wallets for that matter but I would think if you were wearing these items for safety sake that a helmet might be a bigger priority.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Poser..........

8. Badbilly

United States
  9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
  10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I love the "fingerless gloves" the doodes favour. Far as wallets with chains atatched to them, I recall them being called a "truckers wallet" I have worn one for at least 20 years or so, maybe even wore one to my own wedding (no leather either) its a convenient thing where your not gona forget your wallet when you take it out of your pocket in your car/truck while your drive. Not gona get pick pocketed either. Vest I got, had for over ten years, no expanders on it :pound: Matter of fact, I have it on right now :loco: the garment might have seen 50 miles in total ownership out on the road. It was always worn with a helmet, no dew rag thank you very much. The same doode that made my road race suit; made the vest for me, its about 3 once leather and is heavey, btw it has a nice gun pocket which is functional :rambo: never know.

I have the misfortune of working for a HD owner with one of those poser bagger or what ever you wana call it. He is debating what kind of speakers to get for his scooter, it comes down to Ohm rating, I over heard him talking to some high-school friend of the family hire for the summer about them. Funny thing was this same kid caught me at the time clock when I was all suited up ready to fly the coope and he mentioned that there were blue-tooth helmets now, I told him I was aware of this and when I ride, I don't need to talk to anyone or listen to anything but the wind and my surroundings. Nice kid, even though he doesnt ride, has a nice beemer car though :loco:

Anyway, there is no HD that I would own short of some antique thing with suicide shift and white tyres that I could park in my house.

11. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I have nothing against vests or trucker wallets I just think it is funny when they are part of a requisite costume that shows your individuality. Come to think of it the dude with the bagger did have big speakers in the leg shields. To each his own I guess. I have a blue-tooth gizmo for my helmet and I have actually used the phone while riding. I don't use it all the time but it is really nice for trips.

The only Harley)s) I would wants to own would be the XR1200, and that probably wouldn't be for long, and I would like to have an old WL45. That was back when Harley made real transportation.

12. Badbilly

United States
  13. Badbilly

United States
    Another Harley that should really be brought back is the Silent Gray Fellow.

14. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, talk about showing your age. :courage: I've only seen pictures of them, not the real thing. But I'm not particularly fond of old bikes, i.e. pre 60's. Really old bikes are like old tractors: old.

15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    The WL45 didn't have enough power to get out of its own smoke but it was reliable as the Briggs and Stratton it resembled. I love the look of the old hard tail bikes from the 30s & 40s but too many modern cruisers try to replicate that look without understand how that look was achieved. The lack of rear suspension and front brake are not desirable traits in my mind.

16. SammichTheStout

SammichTheStout New Member

Harleyism and How The Rest Of Us Pay Its Bills

This entire thread has really touched a nerve of mine, so I am going to send this in to some motorcycle magazines to see if I can get picked up as a contributor.
    This is going to ruffle some feathers and rightly so. So I will make some specific distinctions right off the bat. If you...

1. Always wear a helmet and proper protective gear *the primary function of both of which is to protect you*
    2. Never drink and ride
    3. Are not decked out in non-functional leather, chrome, chains and equally non-functional patches
    4. You never ride in an intentionally reckless manner (eg. Weaving at 30 over the limit, wheelies, stoppies, or other two wheeled tom-foolery)

Then this piece is not about you.

Some people have quite rightly pointed out that there is a striking irony and an inherent contradiction in the manners and attitudes of most Harley Davidson lifestyle adherents. This is generally expressed in at least one of three ways. When you ask one of the "faithful", (I use the term because it seems that the general ability for skeptical free inquiry seems roughly equal between Harley "faithful" and people who consider themselves devoutly religious) 'So what's with all of the black leather, chains, chrome, and patches?' Generally, one will get an answer that is paraphrased in the following "An expression of individuality." Or even better, "Because we don't care what anyone else thinks... See the D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. patch?" And then there is the only place you see them for any length of time. (except at a dealership) Outside some downscale bar. Which ends up costing the rest of us riders an exorbitant amount of money in insurance premiums which will be invariably and falsely blamed and then disproportionately laid off on younger riders.

Please don't think this is one sided. Squids and Madd Stuntaz I'll be thoroughly eviscerating you too at the end.

Lets take these responses one at a time, first the expression of 'individuality'. Interesting! This must be a brand new strain of individuality with which I am wholly unfamiliar. Let us clarify the observable facts about people who would make such a statement of "individuality" First, each of these people ride extremely similar motorcycles, most of which are mass produced by the same manufacturer (the very antonym of custom), the differences between which are entirely pedantic. There is similarly very little variance in the exhaust note, the differences once again being entirely pedantic. Secondly, each of these people dresses by more or less the same code, with the requisite jeans, harley t-shirt (with or without sleeves), black leather trimmings, boots of the same and preferably a harley branded due rag and the conspicuous lack of a helmet. (except where prohibited by law and then only as a style statement, not as a piece of lifesaving gear) The differences within this dress code are... You guessed it, once again, pedantic. Tell me more about this verifiably canned and then mass marketed expression of individuality? No? On to the 'We don't care/D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.' response.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. (Do I Look Like I Give A Fuck?)... To answer the question... Yes. Yes in a big way. Anyone who says or wears that expression looks like they care with every fiber of their being what people think of them. If they really didn't care, what then, would be the need for such absurd displays? That being the case, what is the real reason of existence for such vehemently declared apathy? The only real explanation that holds any scientific or behavioral water is that of a crude form of contrarianism. Or perhaps better termed as harleyism. Here defined as the derivation of pleasure, levity, or satisfaction from the squeamishness, discomfort, or disturbance of a different social group.

If D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. was the answer to my original query, then it was given by a person who enjoys the fact that someone else might be annoyed by the loudness of his exhaust, or that someone else might be inconvenienced by their propensity to routinely break traffic laws when riding in groups. (i.e. the first person in formation is the only one to stop at the stop sign, the rest simply disobeying the posted traffic sign, instead rolling straight past it without stopping so that the formation remains unbroken) Or in the ultimate expression of self centered harleyism, the massive rallies such as "rolling thunder" which have an ostensible purpose, but in fact, it is more likely that the participants enjoy inconveniencing an entire city for a day, forcing the inhabitants to notice them, more than they do contributing to whatever charitable cause such events claim to support.

In short, Yes. He or she really is just an asshole, one who cares to his toenails that the rest of us recognize him or her individually as a distinguished and intrepid, macho asshole amongst a sea of other assholes, all of whom likely share similar aspirations. But please, do go on about your rugged, non-conformist individualism...

Then there is quite possibly the most stupid and suicidal aspect of the entire charade. What is the one place where you are most likely to see a group of harley styled motorcycles parked? (not including a dealership) There isn't any contest, its invariably going to be a dive bar. One where most women probably would not feel safe walking in, not because of its appearance, but because of its clientele. Anyone who has seen even one episode of Bar Rescue should be able to regurgitate the importance of female clientele to a bar's profitability. So these people aren't even doing the owners of these dive bars any favors by frequenting them. If that isn't enough, there are several inescapable facts concerning drinking and riding. Every motorcyclist who gets a license through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation is dutifully taught these four statistics,
    1. Having any alcohol in one’s body increases the chance of crashing by five times.
    2. Having a BAC greater than 0.05% increases the risk of crashing about forty-fold.
    3. 46 percent of all motorcyclists killed in crashes were using alcohol.
    4. One fourth of all fatal alcohol-related motorcycle crashes involve motorcyclists running off the road, overturning, or falling from the motorcycle rather than striking another object. (http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Alcohol_Awareness.pdf)

In view of these eye popping numbers, one would think that such educational content at the inception of one's street riding career would create a big change in behavior... Not so much evidently. Either this group of riders is ignorant of these facts despite MSF's best efforts, or they simply aren't smart enough to realize that these numbers describe them.

In either case, I prefer to take a Darwinian view of this problem. Until it starts hitting my wallet. Every motorcyclist has felt the burden of exorbitant insurance rates, especially when under 35 years of age. Most of the 'faithful' would be quick to blame squids on metric machinery for these prices. They're mostly, but not entirely wrong about this because... If the stated statistics are to be believed, and they are. Then the ubiquity of harleys and their metric imitators parked outside of bars should be bearing the brunt of responsibility for those sky high insurance rates, but they aren't. Those rates will get blamed on and then disproportionately laid off on young riders, regardless of their choice of ride, or how they operate their machinery. If you're reading this and are thinking, “That's very implausible, given the number of Squids who fly past me at stupid speed and do other stupid suicidal stuff.” Then lets conduct a little thought experiment and see if we can do for both of these forms of behavior with one small change.

Imagine for a moment that we are to make only one change in the motor vehicle code. That change would be to absolve insurance companies of any financial responsibility to pay medical, disability, and/or repair bills; “Incurred by any motorcycle incident in which it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that one or both of the responsible or at fault parties to the incident showed a blatant disregard for their own safety or well being; by not wearing a helmet, armored jacket, or gloves; Or having a blood alcohol content above 0.02%; Or operating the motorcycle at more than 30 mph over the posted speed limit, or other behavior which would constitute intentionally reckless operation.” What would the effects of making this one change to the vehicle code be?

Anyone who dies or is injured under these circumstances would not have their bills paid by motorcycle insurance, regardless of what coverage they paid for. Second, this would account for well over half the expenses of the industry being taken off the table. Because of the competitive nature of the insurance market, you would see your rates cut by a function of what the total net savings would be. Also, the 'blame it on the young riders and make them pay for it' attitude would be hard put to it to withstand even the most cursory of statistical merit tests once this one change became active for long enough to have a measurable effect. So, to the riders who are excluded by the caveats at the beginning of this piece: these devotees of harleyism and the madd stuntaz are costing you quite a bit of money.

As if we needed more reason for resentment and derision of harleyism and its adherents, these same adherents or, more accurately named dupes, have fallen for a corporate marketing ruse on an epic scale. What percentage of Harley-Davidson's net profits come from sources other than the sale and service of motorcycles? Well over two thirds. According to fortune.com and Bloomberg, somewhere between 67% and 74% of total net profit came from the sale of branded items (everything from dog clothing to zippo lighter cases) or use of brand imagery. (anytime someone who is not Harley-Davidson displays their logo, such as at a stadium)

Therefore, Harley-Davidson is not really a motorcycle company, its brand/lifestyle company. One that actively cultivates potential adherents with non-conformist marketing (which takes only a little bit of critical thought to see through) and then dupes said adherents into a homogeneous mass of money spending, bud/miller/coors swilling Harley-Davidson lifestyle conformists. Oh, the irony.

Not to be outdone in the field of stupidity, just as the adherents of harleyism come close to being suicidal by constantly drinking and riding, squids and madd stuntaz do much the same thing for much the same reason by operating their chosen machinery like suicidal maniacs. What reason could this possibly be? Its the same reason harleyists wear D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F patches and enjoy inconveniencing other people, the “Look at Me! Aren't I a special kind of asshole!” personality trait.

You're probably wondering, “What's the point of this?” Its simple, the solution to this problem is twofold. First we need to push through this one small change in statewide traffic code. Second, we need to do as characters in South Park did when confronted with gangs of asshole bikers by changing the meaning of the word 'fag' from a gay person to a harleyist, squid or madd stunta in the American lexicon, the latter two being lumped in for good measure. So shout as you so often wish to at these assholes, “Fags!” Let them know what assholes everyone else thinks they are by changing their terms of reference to something overtly derisive and insulting. Maybe one day, they will start paying the bills for their own stupidity instead of laying them off on the rest of us.

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Gee my eyes got tried, why so much effort? It not like someone killed your Pet Lion and cut its head off to hang on a wall like your Loco dentist does after charging you $5000 to remove a mouthful of good teeth.:laser

18. Badbilly

United States
    There are several examples still around and still running. One that was owned by Indian Jeff McGeary and now in the hands of another member of VME.. (Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts) based in Seattle. The club started the early 1980 and is still going strong. The club met for years in one of the neighborhood taverns in Seattle and a rough count of bikes one Summer evening was +/- 500 bikes. The club does the famous "Isle of Vashon TT" that sometimes attracts 1500 motorcyclists. This a reasonable accurate count since traven to an from Vashon Island is by ferry.

Start with "Indian Jeff" on Google and go from there.

The Silent Grey Fellow was produced for about fifteen years. Jeff can be seen in several Utube vids riding his. This may be the same bike he rode from Seattle to Sturgis that was made into an hour long PBS feature.

Jeff unfortunately was in a serious accident that later proved fatal. This also can be researched on Utube including a fund raiser to help with his medical bills. I think it raised about a quarter of a million dollars back in the pre-peso days.

I understand why you might not be fond of some of those older bikes. They are a bitch to ride when not being able to reach the pedals. Older bikes are not everyone's cuppa. It's interesting to watch and listen to some of the conversations on and about bikes and see who goes blank when someone who knows a bit aboot the history mentions one to illustrate a point of contrast and comparision. One of those silent "Dohs" which was not invented by Homer Simpson.

My fave old bike , (pre-1960) is the 1955 Moto-Guzzi 500cc V8 GP bike. Had a ride one year (got a ride is a racing term) on a KR. Good bike.. The bike was built in 1958.

If it makes you feel good, I have never been on, driven or wanted to own a tractor including one those sled pulling tractors that were popular with the shitkickers a few years back.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  19. NormK

NormK New Member

Billy you are right there, I have been riding my old Enfield Interceptor quite a bit lately VFR is stuck back too far in the shed and a lot of work to get it out, but riding the old Inter is a lot of hard work, just not as easy as the modern bikes

20. Badbilly

United States
    I sold the 1953 Velocette to a guy in my club. I have custody of a HD KRTT. It's not mine and way too hot for the street.. also no brakes.. Saving the BMW for special occasions. I do ride the SR. Took a short ride into town on it recently. (WalMart of course) Parked it in a slot next to a bigass HD. The harleydood was doing his best harleysneer at my "little" bike so instead of kicking it over, I did a run and bump start. GBless the "valve lifter lever" There are times on that one that I would like to run with an open megaphone just for a bit.

There's a guy just South of Seattle who has several Enfields and Square Fours, in a nice collection of bikes and cars. Rich dude.. Invented a wing thing for Lear Jets ect.. Did some work on his house.. He has a brand new (1955) Chrysler 300. Fuzzy.. A 1932 Lincoln coupe that is a one-off model. Coachbuilt I think by the same folks who did some of the Duesenbergs..

Sidebar: At our "IOV-TT" we have a version of a councours.. Ratbikes included. We are serious dudes here.. The current owner of the Silent Grey Fellow" is the main judge. The shit hit the fan when he took over and made a new rule that all bikes entered had to run. We have some deep pockets members who not only bring runners but ride them in the TT.. (It's really a poker run of 37.5 miles) including a Manx Norton and some of the local vintage race bikes.. The Islanders are used to us by now after 30+years of this event. The cops we buy off with Tshirts and organized chats with cops we have as members..

Oldest bike I ever rode was a 1924 Henderson. Lots to do on one of those.