Who listens to music when they ride??

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by derstuka, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I use a Sony NWZ-A728, velcroed to my arm with the earbud wire running up my arm but am looking into bluetooth options. BTW, my current favorite "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have offically gone off the deep end" riding tunes are Bodies (Drowning Pool), Planet Hell (Nightwish) and What Planet is This! (Cowboy Bebop movie OST)...

2. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the molded ones too. Got 'em over 5 years ago at a Cycle Show at the Cow Palace when I used to live in San Jose. They are awesome. I don't use 'em on my very short ride to work, but DO on the longer rides. They keep out the fatigue-causing wind noise and allow the important noises in. A side benefit to them is the prevention of jet lag. I read once that jet lag is not caused by time changes, but by the sound of the jet engines wearing on us, and dehydration. So, when I fly now, I bring a very large bottle of water with me, and I use my molded ear plugs. I haven't had jet lag since I've been doing this. Granted, the longest distance I fly is coast-to-coast, no international flights, but I USED to get jet lag. The molded ones can also be fitted with speakers for your listening pleasure. When I got mine they asked if I'd be wearing them with a full-face helmet. If so, they make them flatter, so the helmet can go over with no problem... and I've never had a problem.

Heck, when I've done road trips and shared rooms with multiple guys, I wear my earplugs at night to keep out the sounds of them sawing wood!! They have many and various purposes and are well worth the money I spent for them.

Oh and no, I do not listen to music. I'm with BZ, I sing in my helmet thank you very much!! Hey BZ, Born to Be Wild was always my song too. When this band we used to go see would get people up to sing with them (before the days of Karaoke) I told them I would sing Born to Be Wild, even though it wasn't one of my choices. They looked at each other, raised their eyebrows, and commenced playing it for me!! After that the "regulars" would always request Born To Be Wild when I was there!! :smile:

3. Strider

Strider New Member

United States
    Map
    is there a website that i can goto, for purchasing info????

4. S14Daver

S14Daver New Member

Map
    Exactly, even on my loud RC i would just set it to where you could hear as background noise, but still hear the sounds of the road and not be distracted. I also went all out on some nice Bose in-ear headphones tho, so they dont have to be stupidly loud to hear, but you can also hear the bike running and all the other noises you might want to look out for.

5. Red99

Red99 New Member

I listen to music on long motorway trips (e.g. UK to Brno in Czech Rep), but not otherwise. I always wear earplugs, but can still hear GPS instructions from the Tomtom (via bluetooth) and music (via FM radio) from an MP3 player/FM xmitter using a Cardo headset.

Agree re favourite metal tracks though. Can seriously twist the throtle hand :)

Cheers, Chaz

6. Galo

Galo New Member

I received my Autocom Active-7 Smart motorcycle communication system in the mail today and hooked it up. Not too impressed yet. I put the iPod volume all the way up and the Autocom volume all the way up, and I don't think is gonna be enough to cancel the wind noice. Haven't taken it on a spin, it's been raining and is gonna keep raining for few more days due to hurricane Gustav.

gotta figure out a way to hook the cell phone tho.

7. 5280s

5280s New Member

i listen to music on longer rides that are on the freeway when i will be cruising, however when i am driving in traffic or going for a run ride in the twisties absolutely not i want all my senses working to hear the bike and my surroundings.

8. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Interesting!!!! Different strokes for different folks it seems. In Nigeria there is a proverb that says 'one mans meat is another man's poison'. This here appears to be a classical example of that.

Personally, for every ride over a kilometer I have my walkman with me. I have a special set of earplugs that are perfect in-the-ear fit and have no problem putting my helmet on. I find that it helps me focus and concentrate better. I have always played music when doing serious stuff. My riding buddy tried it and said it distracted him and so he stopped. The volume is never so loud that I am unaware of my sourroundings and for me it works just fine.

I guess we are all wired with slight difference and just because one guy can concentrate better with music than the other doesn't make him a less serious rider. It only makes him different from you.

I know of a world class brain surgeon who plays classical music during his procedures. So?? To each his own. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. Just pick the way that's best for you.

9. 750Kerk

750Kerk New Member

Map
    As a pending new rider this thread has been incredibly enlightening. I have considered wearing headphones at a low volume while riding. I'm still not sure which way to go but I imagine a little experience and some time will help figure it out. Thank you very much.

10. iwantmore316

iwantmore316 New Member

Map
    i ride all the time with my ipod on i think its so much better than listen to the wind. u dont have to turn it up to loud . i got some philips ear bubs that go into your ears . helps it from falling out

11. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

I tried earbud speakers once and hated it. It was distracting for me. On the other hand, I wear earplugs for any ride longer than five minutes. I hear much better with the earplugs in, especially the bike's motor. With them out, the wind is like someone constantly whispering in my ears. My awareness of everything is improved with the earplugs in: traffic noise, engine sounds, etc.

To each his own.

12. eightvalve

eightvalve New Member

I've read most of this thread and its extremes one way or the other. I listen everyday on the way to and from work. I use the Skullcandy earbuds that seal the ear and an MP3 player. If I didn't have my Opie & Anthony replay I'd lose it! I'm from the Ducati world where the bikes are loud, obnoxious, and have a horrendous clutch sound there really isn't any enjoyment in the ride. The music/talk breaks it up to make the ride go easier. Not a slam against Ducs (I still have 2) but they sound like lawn tractors. Ride like no other-sound like ass. I've never had a worry about hearing traffic. Earbuds aren't the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones, you still get ambient noise. I have my player in a strap on my backpack that I always wear to work so if I need to turn it down or off, its right there with out looking at it. Personal preference. I see it as no worse than the goofy white boys in the ricers with 50" subs vibrating their nuts off. Those are the tools I worry about when I ride but you can always hear em'!

13. navymed97

navymed97 New Member

kinda like speakers

I listen to music all the time unless I've got someone with me. otherwise I won't be able to hear them (like I really can anyways) I just stick my ipod headphones up into my helmet after I I put my cap on and before my gloves. It slips into a little fold right above my ear padding and like another post said it's like back round music at home. my helmet keeps out a lot of the wind. to block out some of the wind noise maybe you could try one of those covers that fit to the bottom of your helmet (never tried it) or those helmet speaker I've seen on ebay. they seem interesting but haven't tried them or know anyone that has tried them either.

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Looks as if most scenarios have been covered as far as who does and who doesn't do music while riding.

Does anyone listen to books on CD or nature sounds or Harleys doing the. mashed potato. Being a diverse group, it would not surprise me at all to find that some VFR afficianado is also listening to farts and could perhaps enlighten others about the variety of sounds one might listen to whilst riding.

15. navymed97

navymed97 New Member

I stick to music on my VFR. I listen to a lot of motovational stuff like how to be better at this and that in my car. donald trump, sales stuff but I pay attention to much. also a lot of books on tape. Grey's anatomy(not the tv show) is pretty interesting to listen to! I'm pretty good at multi-tasking but when it comes to that I might pay attention to much to what I'm listening to or not hear a thing Mr. Trump has to say. Either way it's going to be my loss....

16. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    drewilla says to be careful when listening to music when you ride

Attached Files:

17. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow. Bad Billy was talking about farts way back in October. Long before tiger tiger got started.

I cannot hear farts while riding, and I cannot see myself buying a recording of farts to listen to while riding.

18. camo

camo New Member

Map
    When I realized that some riders actually have music on their motorcycles in another thread I did a search and found this thread.

I guess there is strong division between those who want to listen to music and those who want to listen to their motorcycle engine and tires, the traffic around. For me there are enough distractions without have more noise.

19. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

on long solo trips I use foamy earbuds that cancel road noise as well as play music from my smartphone. I use the phones navigation/GPS as well and it will switch between the lady giving my directions and my music selection. When I do two up trips I take much shorter legs between stops so I have my wife put an Ipod in her jacket pocket and we both put in earbuds and listen/dance to the same music together! at red lights, she pops out the headphone jack so we can BS a little bit.
    -Drew

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

No need to buy. The net provides. ;)

Fart SoundBoard