Who listens to music when they ride??

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by derstuka, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    I started out with just the helmet, no plugs & no music. Of course I was on a CMX250 with a full windshield, so the wind noise was pretty null. After getting my VFR the wind noise increased and I tried a few foam plugs to reduce the noise. That worked, but the helmet was about 8 yrs old and the foam was pulling away from my face and allowing more air flow and more noise. I tried a few ear buds with my MP3 player just to get the extra noise out (too stubborn to get a new helmet) and after several tries I gave up - either they weren't loud enough, they'd fall out mid-ride, or my ears would get too sore from having them in so long with the helmet pressure on them.

Eventually I started shopping around for some hard-core plugs and stumbled on an online store that sold re-useable 32 db plugs and decided to try them out. Amazing to hear zero wind noise, but still be able to hear the purr of the engine, the whine of the cam gears and some noise makers within close proximity. I loved it, it put me more in one with the bike and I found myself not even looking down to check the rpms before shifting. SilentEar Reusable Ear Plugs, Orange body w/Clear Flange (NRR 32) - Consumer Reusable Ear Plugs

Granted, some are against plugs over 22 db reduction, but it's a personal preference and I liked it better.

I recently got a new GMax GM68s helmet, and the combination of the plugs with it is really super comfy. My girlfriend just ordered me a bluetooth setup for the hemlet so I can answer calls while riding... not sure how well that's gonna work out...

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Well I don't know about all that music stuff with earplugs, but I know if ya get to about 1200 rpm in first and fart it will be left in the dust or ya can just get the family size of Beano and share it.

3. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Yep, she's looking to tighten the leash...