Winter project or Sanity check - Resurrection of another neglected 83 VF750

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Pops, Jan 14, 2012.

1. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Looks great Pops. I agree, the side cover looks more factory with the non-chrome look. Lowering the frame onto the motor is SOOO much easier than trying to jack it up into a rolling chassis. I tell people it's worth taking the front and rear off to remove the motor cause it's a one man deal if you do the lift up rather than drop down method. From what I'm seeing so far, this is going to turn out really nice. :pop2:

2. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Looking really god Pops. It was also a good idea leaving the side cover off when you put the frame back over the motor. I never thought about that and left mine on which make it a little tight getting the motor into the frame without scratching anything, I ended up having to give the side cover a couple of more coats afte I put the motor in.:mmph: - also having your motor high enough on the crate so you could get the centre stand on again is handy!

3. gearheadesw

gearheadesw New Member

Nice, watching this, good job.

4. Pops

Pops New Member

Okay, the bathroom remodel is out of the way, so now I can get back to the important stuff....like getting back to wrenchin'! Over the last week I've been able to get the old girl back on her wheels, and reassembly is starting to pick up a little speed.
    [​IMG]
    Most of the bits that I've been able to derust, polish or paint have responded nicely to a little TLC. Let's just hope that the end product performs as well as it looks.
    [​IMG]
    Major motivation came yesterday when my buddy stopped by to show off his new Bonneville. Temps here in Virginia are starting to get up there and he came over crying "Come on, get that thing finished so we can ride together!" So next step is to reattach my freshly rebuilt carbs, get the wiring harness cleaned up and reinstalled, get fresh oil and a new filter.
    [​IMG]

5. hoganth

hoganth New Member

United States
    Map
    Way to go Pops, you're giving me the inspiration to get back to my 83 resurrection

6. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    How dare you let real world responsibilities get in the way of a bike build.

Looks fantastic Pops. Always nice to see them on their feet. Anything nagging or unable to locate items for the rest of the project?

7. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Wow you must be pleased with how its turning out Pops. You've got it spotless!! No photos of the bathroom that rudley disrupted your priorities!

No clues on your chosen paint job yet??

8. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Pops that's looking real gooood. I'm liking it. Except for the stock rear shock. Start looking for something better. You'll need it later when that goes south. You'll be glad you did.

9. Pops

Pops New Member

Thanks guys, as always I appreciate the kind words - keeps me motivated. This has always been a budget build, and it seems the finances get squeezed tighter with every passing week. I just keep running into more broken stuff... Hop, I need an airbox lid, sidestand, right muffler, rear caliper and a rear fender right now. I've got a PM in to Dutchwurx - he thinks he has them all on a parts bike. Somebody else got all the cherry bodywork!!!
    Paint? Who said anything about paint Rainman? I'm still planning to wrap the bike in vinyl - I just haven't decided on the color(s) yet. I've always been intrigued by the concept, and am excited about the prospect. I'll probably start a seperate thread to document the process if it goes well.
    Grey, I have Mr Daugherty's website bookmarked for just that reason. I'm sure as soon as I get 'er on the road the next phase will be to start making improvements, primarily suspension!

10. Pops

Pops New Member

Y'know, somedays it's just the little triumphs that mean so much. Work schedule has gotten crazy lately (thank you Lord!) so garage time has been pretty precious. I've been able to squeeze a couple hours in over the last week and just came in from another couple hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Was able to get the carb bank installed successfully without a lot of swearing and throwing of tools. I've read a lot of threads on multiple forums over the months and the common denominator seemed to be "new boots." So, with fresh "gen-u-wine Honda" carb boots, I was able to get everything mounted up first shot, with just a little silicone spray and a generous dose of patience.
    [​IMG]
    Even managed to get all the freshly lubed cables and linkages back in without breaking anything or skinning my knuckles (I know, what fun is that?!)
    [​IMG]

11. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Hi Pops,

Great thread, & the bike is lookin good. :bravo:

Sincerely,
    Paul

12. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Looks mint Pops, and the Vinyl is a great idea - I will follow that thread with much interest!! I'm still waiting on the Cherry body work to land on our distant Kiwi shores - Vinyl may be a good option next time round.

13. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Hello POPS, you still alive....I've just stopped by this post to get some inspiration and motivation to get cracking on my project...Any progress?