Winter Updates to My 2007 RWB

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by stewartj239, Nov 29, 2014.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    No problem.

Yes!

My OCD is a carryover from my work life. I am a software engineer by day and you don't half ass anything. My house and cars look the same. I could post some pictures of my 2014 Chevy SS, but I don't want to make the VFR look bad :)

2. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Oh, I don't know. I'm a software TEST engineer :potstir:, and sometimes you guys DO 1/2 ass things ... :lol: ...

ACE

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the write up Stew! My 07 is currently at 23k & still on the OE chain / sprockets. I was planning on doing them in the spring since every chain I've had seems to last about 25k +/-. I've always went with OE size sprockets when replacing. What should I expect from going +1 or +2 teeth on the rear?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Here's a link to a cool site that lets you see what gearing changes will do to RPM and speed. They don t have every bike listed but they did have the 5Gen and 2007 VFR in their list.
    http://www.gearingcommander.com

5. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

I've been running 17f (+1) and 45r (+2?) for over a year as a 520 conversion. Going up has made my ride a bit buzzier at higher speeds, and my mpg seems to have fallen a bit, but not much. Also, I do believe that our '07s are on gearingcommander, as I also use that site for guidance. Your top end may come down a bit, although I pulled a 145.4 at a mile LSR last year ...

Just FYI ...

ACE

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I just finished installing the PCV yesterday. I started by placing the unit under the seat toward the right rear. You then run the cable up along the right side of the bike. I crossed the main cable over to the center of the bike right behind the rear brake fluid reservoir.

[​IMG]

You then run the ground wire over to the battery and connect it to the negative post.

[​IMG]

Next you need to find the throttle body connector. It is on the right side of the bike and is wedged down between the airbox and the frame.

[​IMG]

The PCV harness then plugs in-line to the throttle body connector. Once done, just package it back up and put it back in place.

[​IMG]

Next you need to find the O2 sensor connectors. They are located on the left side of the bike down by the engine case. They are in front of the coolant overflow bottle (which I have removed in this photo). Unplug the O2 sensors from the connectors.

[​IMG]

The PCV comes with O2 Optimizers that need to be plugged in to the O2 sensor connectors. The O2 sensors are no longer needed.

[​IMG]

The O2 sensors are located on the left side of the bike down by the shifter and side stand. They can be left in, but I decided to take them out. The front sensor is easy to get out as you can easily get a wrench on it. There is no way you can get a wrench on the back sensor. I ended up having to buy an O2 sensor removal tool to get it out. Honda has a part number for that and when I looked it up, I was surprised to see that it costs $54. I just went to NAPA and bought one for $8.

[​IMG]

The last step was to find some bung plugs. I was lucky to find these at Pep Boys. They don’t sell them but once I explained what I needed, they pulled some out of the garbage can and gave them to me. All new converters and such that they install, come with the plugs. They remove them at installation and just throw them away.

[​IMG]

Since my bike has the stock exhaust, I just downloaded and installed the fuel map for that setup from DynoJet's website. Also, the PCV did come with the same map pre-installed by default, so I didn't really need to do that step. In the photo, notice the fueling differences that will be made on top of the stock map. The last thing I should note is that the PCV part number for the 6th Gen is 16-005.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Today I got the brake fluid changed along with getting the entire linked braking system bled. I do have the service manual and it is covered on pages 15-7 to 15-16, but it is not very clear when it comes to bleeding the second master cylinder and the proportional control valve. Luckily, I found an awesome thread on VFRD that had the details for the procedure. I could not have gotten it done without this thread. Here is the link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/...es-wabs-on-6th-generation-the-ultimate-guide/

A couple of other small items I got done this week was changing the radiator fluid as well as an oil change. The original owner had dealer receipts for oil changes done at 500, 1000 and 2000 miles. The bike has 3300 miles on it right now, so it has never gone more than 1300 miles on an oil change. Not a big deal, but it is great to have those receipts - it helps put your mind at ease regarding the bike's history.

8. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Good looking bike Stewart!!
    Please post pics when the wheels are installed.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome job Stewart.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9ie2J2690

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Shit. ..that was for you Highway Star.....
    Deep Purple. ..my first concert

12. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I have gotten the rims back from being powder coated and am pleased with the results regarding the removal of the raised lettering.

For reference, here is the rear rim before the lettering was removed:

[​IMG]

Here is the rear rim with the lettering removed and the powder coating completed. This will be much easier to keep clean:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I tried something new with the front rim when it was powder coated. I had them tape around the hub area on both sides so that it would remain black in color. Again, this is to make it easier to clean the rims. On my first bike, I did the whole rim in white and it took time to clean the area that is just behind the rotors. Leaving it black means you don't have to do it :)

[​IMG]

Once the rotors are on, the black area now blends in.

[​IMG]

Once on the bike, it looks better than I thought it would. It blends pretty nicely overall.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    On my first bike, I added a pinstripe to the windscreen and liked the way it looked. This time around, I wanted to do the same thing but went with a thinner stripe.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks good Stew! I see your going w/ white on the radiator screens again. Nice!

16. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Yes and good eye! I am hoping that I will have the bodywork all waxed and put back on the bike this weekend so that I can take some "after" pictures with the white screens. I did that on my first bike and also thought that they looked great.

17. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nooooooice :thumb:
    She is soooooo SEXY :love:

18. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    As Arnsinator already noticed, I painted the radiator screens white. I did this with my first bike and I personally think it looks fantastic on the RWB.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Here is another "after" shot that shows how the white rims came out. For me, the '07 should have come with them since it had the retro color scheme.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Previously I had Heli-Bars on my bike and I was not that crazy about them. I did not like the way they looked and they actually raised things higher than what I wanted. I noticed that when the 45T rear sprocket went on, when you adjust the chain to accommodate for it, it actually lowers the bike in the rear. Because of that I decided to drop the forks 1/10 of an inch and raise the stock clips to the top of the forks. In the pictures, you can see that the guides on the stock clips are now above the triple clamp and don't allow the clips to "lock" in place, but I don't think they are necessary as the Heli-Bars didn't have these at all. With this arrangement, the bars have been raised by about 1/2 an inch and is pretty noticeable when sitting on the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I finally got the hard cases pinstriped a couple of weeks ago and now have the bike ready to roll. I hate the plain looks of the OEM case. What I did was get a carbon fiber sticker and cut it to extend the Interceptor badge on the cases. I then pinstriped around it and then pinstriped the perimeter of the cases.

[​IMG]

Here they are on the bike from a few different angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: