Worst experience EVER!!!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Nutswithtwins, Apr 3, 2009.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Good to hear that it all worked out and that you didn't really miss any of the riding season. So has your faith in Honda been restored?

2. hotrodwolf

hotrodwolf New Member

Map
    Good to hear!!!!

3. cdv478

cdv478 New Member

I'm considering an Interceptor, and this example of customer service sways me more toward Honda. Right now I have an '07 Ducati Monster S2R800 with 11,700 miles. The engine immobilizer shorted out and it's been at the dealer for over a month because the part isn't in. It's still under warranty and Ducati is paying for it, but the wait is getting to be too long. If it was a rare, low production or old bike I could understand, but it's a two year old example of one of Ducati's best sellers, so parts should be abundant. Not being able to ride is irritating. Do parts delays happen often with Honda? Thanks for input anyone might have.

4. hotrodwolf

hotrodwolf New Member

Map
    I think what you've run into is common with any company. Parts backorders on warranty parts happens because they were not expecting the issue. The original order for parts would be based on basic sales of the part, not for 1000's of recall customers. Once they run out and place a new order, it's not up to them, but the supplier of the part to them. I've owned a 996 and run into a stator recall with the same affect. My shop has has a Honda backorder fo the blackbird, It still is not completely resolved!!! They dont even make that bike anymore!!!LOL. So don't be discouraged, youre not alone! Good luck!

5. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

You got me scared there,I just picked up the exact same bike on Saturday, and wierdly enough, Battery hold down was off and no rear grab rails. I also bought out of town and rode it home, it ran fine but I did suck a dove in between the headers about 4 km into the ride, couldn't get to it so PEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW... Poor bugger.
    Hope my battery holds up though.

6. mrbugfish

mrbugfish New Member

Map
    mmmmm a tasty post ride snack... I love wings! try the honey mustard! lol

7. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

Working at a Honda dealer (cars) I can tell you firsthand that American Honda will go to great lengths for customer satisfaction. Also, as far as the PDI goes, batteries that die from lot-rot get warrantied all the time, and even if there is some failure that can be traced to a bad PDI, Honda won't pay for it- but the dealer can't charge you either since you have a warranty- if anything the dealer you have the bike at can fix it and bill Honda and Honda will bill the dealer that effed up. Honda will take care of you, don't worry. glad it worked out

8. GILL

GILL New Member

IA few years back I owned a CBR F4i that used to shut off at random. Took it into the local Honda shop where they checked this and fiddled with that and came to the conclusion that is was a bad fuel pump relay, so they replaced it ($150.00). Got home that evening to go out for a ride and the bike wouldnt start. Tried it a little later and it started. Took it back in and they thought it might be the fuel pump, however they also thought it might be the kickstand switch, then the computer. One of the mechanics there had a CBR F41 and offered to put his CPU on overnight and take it home. It seemed to work fine with his installed so they priced me up a new computer and installed it. (2 weeks later and $900.00) . Picked up the bike and it seemed to be working fine. The next day, saddled up for a ride and 2 hours in the bike died. Being on the side of the waiting we decided to poke around with the wiring and noticed that if we turned the steering to the right all the way, the fuel pump would prime and the bike would start. Turned the wheel to the left and the bike died. So we decided to dig yet further. The wiring connectors under the fuel tank that run along the frame were the problem and when you turned the wheel, it would pull on the harness. One of the wired connectors had a short, but if you moved it the right way made the connection. So we took a plastic wire tie and held it in place for the ride home. Obviously it was not the computer or fuel relay or kickstand switch as Honda thought. We fixed the wires with solder and heat shrink and returned to Honda. They said nothing, not even sorry for mis-diagnoses, and being electrical parts couldnt refund the $$ . So needless to say, I have a spare fuel relay and CPU that were fine in the first place! I will never return to that Honda dealer for a headlight!

9. Big3

Big3 New Member

Fixed it for ya :)

10. VFR_Rod

VFR_Rod New Member

Fortunately for me, when I bought mine in January of 09, my local dealer put a fresh battery in it, instead of the one that was in the crate. Your experience with the battery is exactly the way my 06 F4i battery went south after two years. Fortunately for me, my 06 RR is still going strong, those two bikes take the same battery and it's well over a hundred bucks.

I understand your frustration about the roadside assistance, but that was the dealers fault for not cluing you in that it was no longer available. Mine did, no big deal, although for you I understand it would be not knowing this before hand.

11. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Hmmmm... you say you rode it four miles and it then just all died on you during an acceleration? I don't know about anyone else here, but once you start a bike and have: 1) spent the time to warm it up, and 2) rode it for four miles, the battery would have had nothing to do with killing your bike, unless your electrical system was causing the battery to discharge. It may have been near-dead and discharging when you were riding, but once the bike's alive a bad battery is not gonna kill it! It should have given you warning from the first time you cranked it over. It should have turned over reluctantly, slowy, as if there was not enough juice to accomplish ignition. I would assume if it was discharging, that your bike actually died at idle. That's when a bike relies mostly on the battery, and not in mid acceleration when the battery would be charging. Sounds to me like an electrical short in your ignition system somewhere. I hope I am wrong.

Hell, I bought my 2006 used with 735 miles on it from a Honda dealership selling it on consignment for a customer. I bought it towards the end of 2007. I still have the same stock battery in it and have drained it a good 4 times by leaving the damn key in the ignition and lights on while I went to work for 8 hours. I jump started it, using motorcycle battery cables. The last time I jump started it I took the cables off once it was running, and it died. I re-jumped it (both times off a Burgman that happened to pull into the parking lot), let it idle about 2 minutes with the cables still connected , and then it was fine.I shut the bike off after a 3 mile ride that got me home, then turned it on again no problem (this was during the winter cold snap here)! I have yet to use my battery tender on my bike. I ride it daily, rain or shine, and the bike sits outdoors at my apartment complex - fully exposed to the elements.

Even during the cold snap in Florida for this winter it turned over. A bit sluggish a couple times (probably half-froze the gel battery), but still it turned over and my bike started! We're talking cold enough to zero out your display. Clock and odometer readings were wiped out a good 3 times this winter.

If you say it was the battery I guess I have to believe that buying a new one fixed the problem. I just hope you don't have a short somewhere in your ignition system that's gonna rear its ugly head sooner or later.

Oh, and PLEASE no diatribes about the evils of jump starting your motorcycle! Mine runs fine. Nothing ever got burnt out by doing it.

12. residentg

residentg New Member

You want to hear something strange? I had a similar problem with my leftover '07 RWB. The battery would not hold a charge. I had to jump it with one of those portable batteries to start it. I waited until the 600mi check. I told the dealer what the probelm was. They said they would look at it. They told me that everything checked ok - I said are you sure - they said yes. I did not believe them, but when I brought it home, it started right up and I have not had the problem since - go figure...

13. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    My brother owns two motorcycles that are garage kept. He keeps both on battery tenders between rides. He probably only rides once a week at best. I ride everyday to work and for fun on weekends. My battery never has a chance to discharge anything of significance, but batteries do tend to go after about 3 years on average. I will probably replace mine just for piece of mind in a few months. Even though I have owned the bike for 2 1/2 years, the actual age of the bike is 4 years now.