Would a 2006 VFR 800 make a good first bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by baba ganoush, May 23, 2007.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I have to agree with Zonaman, Action & Chesthing:

Their advice on this issue is best IMO.

My first bike was a 1980 Kawasaki 440 in great condition. I bought it for $500 bucks...rode it for 2 years and sold it for $500 bucks. It was such a forgiving bike that it made learning to ride easier. So many people miss that logic. It's just like getting into competition shooting. Why do you think all the great shooters started with .22's or really nice pellet guns?

And yes, I dropped the 440 LOL!

BZ

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    And one more thing!

Not to harp on you baby ganouch, but if you are worried about how you may "look" on an older less flashy machine I got a story for ya!

I received more compliments on my 440 than both of the VFR's I have owned combined. It seems the 440 was very popular in the Waldorf, Maryland area becuase every type of rider came up to me and said "What a great bike, man I started out on a 440 too"! It came from all riders on all machines. Non-riders constantly came up and said what a nice little bike it was too! And women liked it also! I remember thinking "Man, everyone in motorcycling is really nice and women really do seem to like motorcycles". Then in August 2000, I purchased my first VFR, 1993 in Pearl White, and the compliments stopped LOL! Many Harley Riders quit waving, people quit talking to me and the few women it did attract...well lets just say they may be pretty but trouble was not far behind. Also, every punk kid in a four cylinder car wanted to race me?!

It was a very eye opening experience because I was naive to think there was motorcycling 'community', when in reality there was a 'image' community. And the real riders where rare. It was my first lesson in image and the world of motorcycling and you better be in it for your own enjoyment. In addition, I found it most interesting how I would be stereotyped in traffic by the cagers. They would always be looking in their mirrors like I was going to go roaring by them at warp speed. Ah...memories.

Sorry for rambling...Bubba Zanetti has had WAY TOO MUCH coffee this moring and random thoughts are invading my brain!

3. csb

csb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Go for it mate , life is to short to be making excuses not to buy it,with your experience on dirt bikes it will give you a good heads up,just take it steady for a while, the VFR is a great all rounder, hope this helps.

4. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

I have had my VFR since feb. it is my first motorcycle. Ive taken the MSF course, ridden harleys, and been on two wheels quite a bit. If you respect the bike, be CAREFUL where you ride it (like stone driveways, sandy streets) and be anal about your safety (cause it is one bitchin machine), you will do fine.
    To tell you the truth, I know someday I will probably lay the thing down, thats why i wear leather and a good helmet, but these days, I am more concerned with fighting the inner Squid. If you can win that fight, this bike will be fine for you.

5. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I personally see no reason why a VFR wouldn't be a suitable first bike given they have a respectable level of experience with motorcycle and motorcyle related machinery, ie. 4 wheelers with manual clutches, etc. As long as the owner allows themself to learn and RESPECT the bike, they should be fine.

As prevously mentioned, the chance of you "dropping" the bike is pretty high early on. Take extra care when the bike is not moving under it's own power. Parking lots, stop signs, traffic lights and slight upgrades at low speed are all the enemy to a new rider.

Have fun!

6. dcengineer

dcengineer New Member

I just recently bought an 06' VFR as my first bike. Other than putting around the parking lot in a 200cc nighthawk at the MSF course, I had no other riding experience. (I highly recommend reading through David Houghe's "Proficient Motorcycling" if your looking for some good advice and techniques about riding)

I drove aprox. 12 hours (one ride) back to MD from the dealership I bought it at in NC. I took it slow and hit the Shenandoah mountain roads slowly gaining confidence on the bike. After 10 hours, I was tired as hell and spent the rest of the ride home in the Granny lane on the interstate.

I still have alot to learn (especially on u-turns with this thing). I didn't have money to spend on a practice bike either, so I decided to go straight for the bike I knew I would enjoy. There is always the possibility that I will drop the bike, but I don't plan on it. Pontiacformula99 definitely has some good advice: "If you feel comfortable and know your limits, then that's what counts."

7. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    2005 VFR 800 was my first bike and never been on a bike before that. Did a riding school( a good one not just some get your licence in 5min type deal)

And it is fine, but as one of the first posters mentioned...you may drop it....I droped mine this winter and desirved to drop it.(Winter rinding got cought in ice and was over confident...like i said i desirved it and am actually glad i did....it tought me a lot of respect.)

But the VFR is the bike i wanted...i did not want another bike and then to wish i had gotten a vfr....i am happy with my choice.

8. MarkH

MarkH New Member

I got my VFR yesterday - only passed my test two weeks ago. It's a 99 VFR800. It's like anything - while you are still "learning" (if you ever actually stop) you need to apply some common sense and not push too hard. Learn how the bike feels and how it responds. I don't think there is any such thing as a bad first bike only bad riding which makes it unsuitable.

9. mochoajr

mochoajr New Member

First Ride

After logging 4800 miles on a Honda 599, I traded it for an '06 VFR on Saturday and just got back from a 125 mile ride on the VFR. I had gotten used to the light weight, size of the 599 and having to feather the throttle on it. The VFR is so different, longer, heavier, etc. I'm taking it much easier on the turns than the 599 and also more careful at low speed manuvers.

Even though I have the experience of the 599, it's like I'm having to relearn how to ride.

Marco

10. racercosmo

racercosmo New Member

Map
    I have ridden steet bikes before, but I was not a "rider." I wok at a race school (cars), and I do a lot of track driving. A lot of our driving instructors ride and based on their advice, I just bought a '90 VFR for my first street bike. I'm 6'4" 230, and most of the smaller bikes didn't fit me well. I love this thing.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Dude buy another smaller fun bike too as in have two bikes, Yes get the VFR man it'll keep ya going, I wanta ride but do get another like fun dual sport or something along those lines. One thing the MSF course doesn't teach and only time will, is street smarts. So go find a 250 endro or something and work into the Vfr. the Vfr is a great first bike but theres so much to learn, it'll take time, hate to see you have an opps moment on the VFR. you sound like a smart dude so play it out. you'll know whats best. good luck

12. renison0

renison0 New Member

mate i have done the same thing only ridden dirtbikes all my life am now 35 and weigh 92kg bought my 06 veefer 12 months ago they are an amazing bike and you will love and respect it they are simple to ride just be carfull pushing it around the shed they are heavy (quick buy it now before the wife changes her mind) safe riding.

13. vfarrr

vfarrr New Member

I just bought my 3rd VFR (only #2 was sold). My wife took the course last year at Central MA Motrocycle School and despite her relatively good riding (for a newbie) I woud not let her ride either of my VFR's until very recently, for the same reasons that other riders mentioned: too much expensive plastic. Plus you mentioned easy to maintain" - although not very difficult, do you know how to get the oil filter out of a sport bike? Your request sounds more like a 599 than a VFR to me!

14. Moby

Moby New Member

What I find interesting is that on this and other US forums I've been on the advice for newbies is often to start with a smaller bike and work up to soemthing like a VFR; but here in the UK - in my experience - that advice is rarely mentioned except in the case of 17 or 18 year old kids. For more mature riders (21+), even those who have never ridden before, the VFR is not regarded as a poor choice for a first bike.

Not sure if that means anything, just thought I'd throw it into the mix

15. 5891Jonathan

5891Jonathan New Member

Map
    That is interesting, Moby. I firmly believe that total beginners should avoid a street bike that weighs over 550 pounds and produces 100 horsepower. Maybe that's just me. My first two bikes (a Honda S90 and a Hodaka dirtbike) probably weighed about 320 pounds combined. They also produced only about 30 horsepower combined. I think I learned some good skills thrashing those bikes at the limit precisely because they forgave a lot of newbie errors. I didn't have to be all scared about throttle control because the throttle only had two basic positions anyway - closed and wide-open. My father took a different approach to his first bike. He bought a big Husky and ended up intimidated by its power. He never got comfortable on it and eventually quit riding altogether. I kept riding and progressing. I am not saying someone cannot learn good riding skills on a VFR, but I would never advise a newbie to buy that kind of bike as a first bike.

16. fuji1

fuji1 New Member

First street bike.

I'm going to chime in here. These posts are the best advice and most ignored.

Dirt bike riding is great for balance control. Does not prepare for the perils of the street!

Remember trees don't make left hand turns in front of you. MSF class is great and so is the ERC. All is forgotten if not practiced and just because you take the class doesn't mean bad things can't happen. It really increases your survival/fun rate.

Buy the best worst looking small bike that fits, you can. Feel comfortable in traffic and go from there. Cheap investment and easy to sell to the next newbie. You can start on a VFR but the first scare may put enough fear in you to stay on the dirt and miss the freedom of the street.

Look at it like this; scare = no fun. Fun=no scare.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Joe

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  17. Craig in Alabama

Craig in Alabama New Member

Statistics show that new riders are more likely to have a wreck during the first six months of ownership. So don't ride your new bike for at least seven months.
    You're welcome!
    Craig :smile:

(just kidding)

18. Moby

Moby New Member

That makes perfect sense and I more or less agree. I just thought it was interesting that little is made of the whole 'work your way up to a big heavy bike' thing over here. Mind you we have quite strict training requirements before you get a licence; not sure what the situation is elsewhere.

What I like about working your way up is that it allows you experience a lot of different bikes before you get to your 'ideal bike' and settle with it; let's face it most people's ideal bike will be either big or powerful or both.

I started with scooters (Vespas) and went through 125s and 500s to 600s (with the odd CBR400 and some old classic Triumphs and the like thrown in) and am now looking to buy a VFR, which I've long regarded as probably the best all round bike for me (though there don't seem to be many good ones for sale in my neck of the woods).

19. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map

Moby:

In the US there are virtually no training requirements a person has to attend before they purchase a bike. Florida is the only exception that I know of at the moment. So anyone who has the money or credit to purchase a bike can walk into a dealership and purchase whatever they choose. I live in Delaware and the only requirements to obtain a MC lisence is pass a very simply road test in a parking lot along with a 50 question multiple choice test or you can attend a Motorcycle Saftey Foundation course, which lasts 15-20 hours of classroom and riding and pass that and get your lisence. But the MSF class is not required, just "recommended".

When I got the "start with the small bike" advice the person who told me that also said that besides a smaller bike being easier to learn on, forgive mistakes, and cost less to maintain and insure, etc. He said"In two years somethings going to happen...you will either want to keep riding or you will realize that riding is not for you and it will be easier to unload a beginner bike for a fair price and you won't lose your ass becasue you bought a new bike and can't get the money back". In two years that is exactly what happened, I bought the Kawasaki 440 for 500 bucks and sold it for 500 bucks and those proceeds went to the first VFR. Also, this just happened with a good friend of mine. Jim wanted to learn to ride, I went bike shopping with him and asked him what type of riding he wanted to do. He said Country roads and city riding. We found a used Suzuki GS500E for sale, which I said would be perfect to learn on and fit the bill for what riding he'll be doing, Jim bought it outright and although he loved riding and picked it up well the two years has passed and he is no longer interested. And its not becasue of anything other than he has had fun, but wants to focus on playing music, his real passion.

I tell the same thing to students in the MSF class. Many do not want to listen about starting with a small bike, but as soon as I add the second part about some of you will lose interest and when you try and sell the gixxer 750 you bought new, and barely survived riding, how much do think you can get for it? How many gixxer 750's do you see on the road? The answer is alot and some have already had friends who went through this experience and have said they have a friend who still has to pay off 2000.00 dollars on a bike they don't own LOL!

Another thing too Moby is in the US most people buy motorcycles for fun and not as their sole piece of transportation. So I can see how a 30 year old person could buy a VFR as a first bike in England since it will be used the same as a car. Motorcycles are primarily treated as a toy in the US and that's why we have some of the problems we do. Look at the picture Durstuka posted about the custom Harley with the outrageous ape hangers! Does any motorcyclist do that in England??? I would think not, or at least it is a rareity.

BZ

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  20. Moby

Moby New Member

Blimey; no compulsory training? No wonder people have fears about new riders!

Here we have all sorts of rules and restrictions. Before you can even ride a bike on the rode you have to pass a Compulsory Basic Training course. This involves classroom and parking lot training and a short period on the road with an assessor. This usually takes about a day but can in fact take as long as necessary until the instructor thinks you're fit to be let on the road; there have been cases of people having to come back again and again (and having to pay extra for the privilege) until the assessor is satisfied (and cases where the assessor has never been satisfied and the applicant has just given up).

After this you have only two years in which to be trained and pass first a Theory Test and then a strict and quite comprehensive riding test or else you have to do another CBT and start all over again. The theory test isn't too hard as long as you memorise the questions in the 'guide' books, although the pass mark is high so just a few wrong answers can scupper you. The riding test IS hard and you can fail for single mistakes, like putting your foot down during a U-Turn or skidding slightly during an emergency stop.

Assuming you've passed, then unless you're over 21 you are still restricted to bikes with a maximum power output of 25 Kw (33 bhp) for two years! In fact those under 21-years-old aren't even allowed to take the main test; they have to take a 'lesser' test on a small (125cc) bike and wait two years before they can ride any bike they want (unless they become 21 during that two years, in which case they have the option to take yet another riding test, an Accelerated Test, to allow free access to all bikes.

Phew! But it doesn't stop there. Even once you've passed all tests you are STILL on probation for two years; if in that period you rack up just 6 points for riding offences (easily done as one minor speeding conviction will net 3 points) you lose your licence and have to do everything all over again! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And, of course, every single stage costs money, lots of money. :puke: In practice many 21+ riders take intensive bundled courses which include all the stages within a short time and can see you going from complete newbie to getting your licence within just a week or so. But they are very expensive and, of course, there's no guarantee you'll pass any or all stages.

Wish you were here? :frown: