Wrong Exhaust?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by bandroidx, Jul 16, 2014.

1. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Hi guys, I bought a two brothers exhaust for my new to me 2003 VFR800. I think I bought the wrong one as I cant see how this exhaust kit will work. I bought the exhaust for the 2002-2009 VFR800Fi. I am guessing the VFR800Fi is not the same as what I have. I assumed the VFR800Fi just meant fuel injected which I have, but now I am starting to think its a different euro model or something? The pictures in the manual look exactly like my bike though :(

The problem is that the stock exhaust has one pipe coming from the headers, up to the mufflers, it then branches off to the 2nd left side muffler. All of this seems to be one piece. The exhaust kit I bought comes with just one pipe coming up from the headers which seems right, but then only comes with one other small pipe and no Y pipe to branch off to both mufflers....

Here is a picture of the kit I bought:

[​IMG]

I feel like a derp, but even in those pictures it looks EXACTLY like the bike I have (same color too! lol)

EDIT: Specifically I have the 005-650407V (the middle one in the picture, all that comes with the kit is in the picture, just those two pipes)

I am hoping this is the right exhaust and I am just missing something / not understanding something properly but I just cant see how this is correct....

Thanks for the help.

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    The Two Bro's system only uses 1 muffler. Look up "Stash Can" or search the forums on this site. Some perfer the Two Bros system because its very light compared to twin muffler systems.

3. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    WOW, really? I feel like I really should have done my homework better now! I never expected that because they send you two actual working mufflers LOL. Seems odd that they would waste the money of sending you two fully functional mufflers when only one is used. I am guessing this is just to keep it looking proper. I am going to search "stash can" but i am imagining that people convert the "fake" muffler into a stash compartment for tools, etc which is actually pretty cool.

I dont know how I feel about this, I guess my question is how does this affect performance? I am GUESSING that it does not affect performance at all since its only coming from a single pipe regardless? I guess what I am asking is if a single muffler provides high enough flow? Also if the other exhausts on the market that actually have two functioning mufflers perform better? If the two brothers only using a single of the mufflers performs as well as the rest then I guess I am ok with it. I am guessing that if it made a difference two brothers would have included a Y pipe to use both mufflers since it seems it wouldnt be hard or add that much money to the kit to do that...??..

Lastly, does two brothers or a 3rd party sell a Y pipe to make both mufflers functional?

4. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Two Bro's claims a single can improves both HP & torque over twin can designs. You can make your own conclusion about that. You would have to dyno both systems to find out. Resident 1/4 guru CandyredRC46 has some detailed info in some of his posts. If I remember correctly he's running a Two Bro's.

As far as running both cans, any good exhaust shop should be able to fab up a Y pipe.

5. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Interesting, well I imagine two bros has way more knowledge on the dynamics of exhausts than I do so I guess I will have to trust them LOL. I think I will stick with this system and give it a try. As long as it performs well and sounds great I have no problems with it being single can. If it works out I will investigate making the 2nd can a stash can as I sure could use more room on the bike for tools, etc!

Thanks for all your help Arnzinator!

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    That's what we're here for. Get that system bolted up & go make some noise! :)

7. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I cant wait, the engine sound of this bike is AWESOME but the stock system really muffles it down big time. I can tell once its less muffled and restricted its going to sound fantastic!

Any idea if most people run with the Power tips installed or not? My research says they reduce the noise level without restricting flow. On my akrapovic on my vstrom it was super quiet until I removed the baffle is why I ask.

8. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Personal preference, try it both ways. I'm running Leo Vince, no baffles. I think I had the baffles in for about min. I think the Two Bro's system is a bit louder than most of systems for 6th Gen VFR's. If your unfamiliar with V4 Honda, it definitely has it's own sound.

Your neighbors &/or local law enforcement may have some input about running w/wo power tips. ;)

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Just to clarify a tiny detail. The system you bought is a VAIL system, not "the stash". You system has a dummy pipe that mounts on the left and is basically just there for appearances. The "Stash" system takes this dummy pipe and turns it into a waterproof storage compartment with a cleverly concealed key lock.

This is my 07 with an alloy "Stash" system installed. You can see that the exhaust tips are very different compared to your VAIL system

[​IMG]

Oh and it also comes in carbon too!

[​IMG]

I think the VAIL system looks better as it is a bit shorter and the tips are sweet but it lacks the hidden storage which is also handy. I keep my chain lube and a few tools hidden in there.

10. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Ahhhh, I was thinking people converted my system to a stash system, I didnt realize at first there was an actual "Stash" product line. Well no big deal, perhaps I will look into converting my unused mufler to a stash system some how.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

11. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for clearing that up jethro911.

12. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Any tips for installation of the new system? Any gotchas to watch out for?

I am guessing I might need to run the bike for a bit to heat everything up in order to get the old exhaust off since its been on there for 11 years.

13. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty straight forward. The only real sticking point might the clamp on the pipe coming off the cat (rusted hardware). New pipe should have new clamp so don't worry breaking it. I took the tail piece off to get better access to the hanger. Not really sure if that's necessary. It's been a long time since I installed my Leo's but I don't remember it being very difficult.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  14. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Hey bandroidx, I have the same set up as you've purchased and IMO it looks and sounds great. Probably all after market exhaust sound good because they un-cork that awesome v4 engine. From what I gather our Two Bros pipe have a bit of a higher pitch exhaust note compared to others, maybe a little more urgent sounding while others have a deeper more mellow note. The latter might give a more relaxed sense on longer rides, that's just my guess. Good luck with your install.
    John

15. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I am actually happy to hear this because I get that deep mellow note with the akrapovic on my Vstrom DL650 (vtwin deep growl) and am looking for the more sport bike whine on my VFR :)

16. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I plan on adding a new K&N filter at the same time. The manual makes it sound like I can just "lift" the fuel tank and prop it up to change the air filter and not completely remove it? Is this correct?

I believe I need to "lift" the fuel tank to install the power commander so I guess it makes sense to do this all at the same time???

On the Vstrom accessing the airbox is a nightmare IMO, requires completely disconnecting and removing the fuel tank, a real PITA. Hoping on the VFR its not quite as bad.

17. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    K&N is a piece of cake, just undo two bolts at the front of tank, it will hinge at back exposing top of airbox. Follow their instructions. You need something to prop up tank safely.

18. jdmbird83

jdmbird83 New Member

United States
    Map
    When I added my K&N, I actually disconnected the leash cable that prevents the tank from being lifted too far up. Made it a lot easier to access the filter. Good purchase with the 2bros. I have run mine with and without the power tips. IMO, the bike sounds much better without, though I think it might run slightly smoother with. I personally run without. The sounds this bike makes without that power tip make me giggly every time I crack the throttle. It does get quite loud though, so much so that I worry about my neighbors when I come home late at night. I haven't had any complaints though. There's also a thread about possibly getting 2bros or another company to make a performance header for the bike again. If we get enough people that want one, 2bros will make them again, which gets rid of the Cat, and supposedly gives much better sound and performance.

19. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Personally, I'd never let ANY K&N product within 30 feet of my bike.....to each his own.....

20. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I park in a storage unit and my unit is like 2 units down from the property managers apartment, I may need to leave the tips in :)

(i ride A LOT between 12am and 6am) - 24 hour starbucks ftw!