Wrong Exhaust?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by bandroidx, Jul 16, 2014.

1. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I have heard this before, i always thought K&N was hands down the best but I recall a youtube video where they proved it did nothing on a dyno.

I guess i am just brainwashed from dealers/service people, etc always saying to add a "High Flow Air Filter" when you add a "High Flow exhaust".

I am curious, what "high flow" air filter do you use then?

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Band - the debate about air filters, oil and tires will go on and on. You will find someone that swears by a product, and others that swear at them. There is a simple solution: until you get to the point that you are tuning/racing/modifying your bike for performance (not looks), something tells me the Honda engineers have a pretty good idea on what they were doing, and OEM oil and air filters will work just fine.

Slapping on an aftermarket exhaust is always a cool thing to do, but in no way have you modded the engine enough where you could really notice, other than sound.

That being said, K&N filters are the best, Use only Royal Purple, and anything but Michelin is shit. lol :potstir:

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    On raising the fuel tank, remove the seat first.

K&N filters Suck, Royal Purple & Michelins are overpriced garbage. ;)

Yes, I use K&N oil filters on both my bikes.

4. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    LMAO.

Well, I know its not much but i am trying to actually get some performance increase beyond just going for looks. Unlike my Vstrom, I want this to be my "performance" bike.... I am doing the exhaust, air filter, power commander v, pcv auto tune system all together hoping to get some extra HP out of the engine, even if its just 4 or 5hp (which may be wishful thinking i know)....

5. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    For engine protection it's hard to beat OEM paper filters (I use an Emgo copy). IMO, all aftermarket filters that tout increased airflow allow significantly more dirt through. I've done extensive research on oil & air filters.....I use the Purolator Pure One oil filter (top rated by bobistheoilguy.com) & stock paper filter on every vehicle I own.

rant over~

6. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    TBH I have very little experience with K&N filters. I ran one in my 1990 240SX in like 1999 and it was great, but that is my only experience and none on bikes. I have actually seen some info saying they are actually really bad for the engine in some cases due to the oil they use gumming shit up or something like that. i always chalked that up to not overdoing the oil....

7. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I forgot to ask in my original post, does anyone know if a step by step video on installing this exhaust on the bike? I always thought it was odd the manufacturer doesnt always make one since they have to install it on the bike at least once to take pictures LOL.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  9. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Got the exhaust installed!

The old one was amazingly easy to remove. Took only 20-30 min.

Ran into some issues getting the new one on, random stuff like the intructions being wrong (calls for 65mm bolt and 60mm bolt for wrong things). All in all it went well.

THis exhaust rocks! With the correct map, my autotune enabled, and my k&n, this exhaust makes a huge difference. All of that together def increases HP in the seat of the pants dyno.....

The only thing is, I want it a little louder. I think I am going to remove the power tips. Just a question about that, does this reduce power at all? Or can it actually increase it? I am used to the sound of my Vstrom vtwin with the akrapovic exhaust with no baffles, its damn loud lol.

10. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I've never read K&N lets more dirt through compared to paper, when properly oiled. Have some links so I can read up? I do know OEM filters run $50 each and K&N runs $60, and I've used the K&N over and over for probably 8+ years on my VFR and T100 - and it's smog legal on the T100. Sure cuts down on the costs. I'm pretty anal about cleaning it out every 10K+ though.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    get a pipercross air filter and Castrol 10-50 RT in summer, I M5 metzlers-the tires and a purculator extra large, l cost $7 a qt. I have the same exhaust with the pipercross it make's a powerful sound. I sure adds HP. I m a perfect Bean too! And eat recycled Food Is good for you.:saturn:

12. YBNORMAL

YBNORMAL New Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Map
    I have the alloy Stash can! I bought it with it on already so idk what the sound or performance was like before but I personally Love the sound and could not complain about my bike a bit! Also I can shove my whole light all weather jacket in this can witch is amazing!