Yet another 6th Generation Leo Vince exhaust install thread

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by racerxlilbro, Jul 9, 2012.

1. racerxlilbro

racerxlilbro New Member

I knew I wanted some aftermarket pipes on my VFR since the day I got it. I'd heard these bikes with pipes on them, and knew that's what I wanted. But, I was also concerned about two things: 1) making the bike too loud; 2) losing the stainless heat shields and making the ride miserable for my pillion.

The Leo Vinces I got have carbon cans (cooler to the touch), and also come with the DB Killer inserts allowing me to tailor the sound to my needs. Perfect! Plus, I got a killer deal through Indy Superbikes - no tax and free shipping. Yay me!:biggrin:

When the box arrived, I tore it open to find the instructions. Ha! What a joke. Let me summarize what it said: "Remove factory exhaust. Install new exhaust." That's about it. So, I perused VFRWorld, and found a useful thread or two. But, really, there wasn't much. I decided to take a few snaps along the way in case anyone else came across these useless instructions!

First, remove the seat and unbolt the tail section. Carefully disconnect the wires leading to the lights. I removed the rear fender, but only after I'd unbolted the stock exhaust and realized it was going to be in the way. Save yourself the grief, and do this now.

VFR Leo Vince5.jpg

Next, I took all the new Leo pipes, and mocked them up off the bike. I figured out the S-bend, and short collector pipe were going to be the key parts of getting the 'fit' right. Incidentally, none of the pipes are 'indexed', so you really have to leave everything loose, and figure out what needs to move where to get the pipes the same length and height.

2. racerxlilbro

racerxlilbro New Member

Here I've got the pipes up to the silencers mocked up and loose:

VFR Leo Vince2.jpg

Next, I fitted the rubber insulation on the silencer clamps. I figured out that it was easiest to start in the middle and work your way out to the ends. I also found it was easier to use a small pair of vice grips to hold the clamps closed while I bolted everything together.

3. racerxlilbro

racerxlilbro New Member

Here it's all loose while I fiddled with the fit:

VFR Leo Vince3.jpg

Notice that I decided to try the "free fender eliminator" setup. And, I think it works great. Just remember to plug the holes in the bottom of the seat well storage area! I could imagine the tool kit, and any essential papers (I keep my registration in there) getting soaked).

Finally, when I had the cans even side to side, and front to back, I tightened everything down, installed the springs, heat shield and right side foot rest bracket:

VFR Leo Vince4.jpg

And, here's the finished product:

VFR Leo Vince.JPG

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Sweet looking set up! Now go and enjoy.

5. racerxlilbro

racerxlilbro New Member

Thanks! That's my next post: my sweet ride this past weekend. Did a nice 250 mile loop through Ojai, and Frazier Park...

6. EFritch1

EFritch1 New Member

Great Thread and thanks - they are going on my bike soon too!

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Good job for posting up the instruction, as Pliskin said go ride her. I am sure she would be happier if I ride her :tongue: