Yet another Chinese Fairing question.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by ridnout, Jul 23, 2016.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Have found on eBay some fairings that I like, SORTA. The picture is obviously a copy of a member's bike. They stole the picture and a whole bunch more, so you can see my concern, ummm worry.

Here is a pic...

Ripoff_VFR800_6TH.jpg

What is do durn hard to swallow is that they have the nerve to watermark it, as if it is their own copyrighted images!

I like this members bike, OBVIOUSLY but would add my own touches like a powdercoated frame, sliders, and el-cheapo exhaust along with some luggage.

Thanks in advance guys-->I'd like to know about fitment, if any has purchased from this vendor, how the tank cover fits into the entire equation, as it's obvious that there is no cover on the bike. I have been reading some, but would like a gathered and recent opinion. I am going to keep my original fairings pristine (even though they need painting, probably will get done when the 5th is painted).

Thanks again. So full of questions and choices.

2. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Yeah reminds me of CBR954RR from that angle a bit, guess the paint scheme...

3. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I have had 2 bad experiences with these Chinese fairing kits on a 1998. I am certain if you are patient, that you could get used OEM stuff and paint them up. Not only was fitment atrocious, the plastic they were made of was nothing like OEM. I know the price and convenience are hard to stay away from...been the done that...twice.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe wait until you figure oot what it is you want to do exactly. What you've read aboot the Chinese fairings is true. The lack of copywright and trademarking respect by many mainland Chinese firms is well known. IOW, they don't give a shit because they don't have to.

I say vote for Donald Trump in November and he will nuke em by Xmas.

5. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Billy! I've been away for a while....good to see you're still at it. You really would have made my night had you worked in a jojo joke somehow. Cheers!

6. Badbilly

United States
    Welcome back! ;) I'll see what I can do Jo-jo wise. Do you guys up there in the great frozen North have poppers? They are battered deep fried stuffed Jalapenos.

The real name is chiles rellenos. Poppers is the gringo version..

7. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes to poppers in the GWN! I guess we'll let ridnout have his thread back...cheers!

Sent from using Tapatalk and not whilst riding!

8. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    LOL! I was actually referring to the 6TH Gen where I read where one fellow on this board got a set he which he was extremely happy. I will take it then that I will just wait MORE THAN LIKELY. On the 5TH Gen, I was not even entertaining an aftermarket set of fairings. Let the discussion continue...

9. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I got the 6th gen part. I can't see the 6G stuff being made of anything better than what my 2 98's had. The material was not ABS. It even had a headache inducing smell when I cut the box open. OEM all the way!

Sent using Tapatalk and not whilst riding!

10. Badbilly

United States
    Right! No texting at, above or below the ton. The penalty is life withoot Jo-jos and poppers made from Scotch Bonnet peppers three times a day. OUCH!

From the numbers of ads for the Chinese made replacement fairings. It looks as if there are several manufacturers. I don't think so.. Just different marketers.

Can the conversion be done. Yes.. The ads should be carefully read. Some give a base price w/o shipping. I have doubts about finding a North American distributor who stocks the advertised line.

From what I have seen the quality of the painted versions is not good at all and the term I would use for how substantial the pieces are is flimsy.

Just a ballpark tells me that by the time the replacement fairings arrive, teardown is accomplished, missing fitment hardware is replaced, the tank cover breaks and the tank gets painted to match (sort of), maybe best to look around for real OEM parts or go with fiberglass from scratch or the parts from the French or German suppliers.

11. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I just reminded myself that one set came with a bike I bought and the first set I actually purchased from an American outfit, likely in website only, called Nice Cycle. When they arrived I was disappointed that the came directly from China and were not the American quality the website espoused.

Sent using Tapatalk and not whilst riding!

12. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Yeah reminds me of CBR954RR from that angle a bit, guess the paint scheme...

Yeah, I get the 5th Gen stuff well and know to stay away, as they are more than likely not Injection Molded.
    The 6TH Gen are said to be injection molded. I too have heard of the tank cover crap-ups.

I guess that I was having wishful thinking. I've already consigned myself to get the 5TH painted. She is already undressed and prepped. It'll cost $750. I too want to get my 6TH painted as well but since the bikes are the same Italian Red, I'd like to have a change of clothes for it. I am looking into finding panels from eBay. I've already got front cowls for both from eBay. The one for the 5TH is pristine. The one for the 6TH is only missing one of those pressed in thread inserts that I will obtain from the original; however, it is pearl white; how beautiful!

Guess the search is back on. Guess I'll have to get a tank too. That's what I was hoping not to have to do. Even when I want a change of clothes, it would mean taking the tank off, definitely not as quick as snapping on a cover; plus the cover does offer some protection if it were implemented well.

Thanks gang.

But if any 6TH genners have had positive results, please let me know.

13. Badbilly

United States
    If your fairing parts are off the bike and prepped and ready for new paint, I suggest looking around for another painter. Much of the labor is in the prep. Spraying out a prepped fairing takes minutes. Paint depending on the color should be in the area of 100 pesos.

Think second opinion.

14. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    As far as the painter goes, he is top notch. As far as the price, prepped does not mean primed, just sanded and no cracks. Plus I've supplied him with some PPG paint codes supplied from one of these threads for the R-157 Italian Red. I believe it is expensive paint. He will outsource the mix I believe.

In addition, I have two front cowls for the 5TH, one de-dumboed, as I had to fix a tip over incident that happened before I got the bike. I also have stipulated extra paint so that I can paint matching accessories and have some for touch-ups if necessary. It is a package deal.

I do not want to pay cheap and not be satisfied one bit. I'd rather pay a couple hundred dollars more and get perfection than get something almost kinda sorta near.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  15. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Examples of Some Chinese I've found while perusing Claz.org...

Wow! While looking through Claz.org, http://www.reachoo.com/ads/73304063, I ran across this...

I knew immediately this wasn't a repaint or an original 50th Anniversary model, no ABS and non-black frame plus some more details; however, I could easily tell that it does have the tank cover. The colors suck of course, but fitment looks decent. As far as the windscreen, I've already purchased a new touring screen, as the stock one is scratched up. I will be looking to buff out the original if possible.

Here are some pictures from the ad.
    Tell me what you think as the discussion progresses...

00e0e_5BfxMNdTUgv_600x450_8.jpg
    00G0G_3jeWMuBOWZV_600x450_9.jpg
    00H0H_9sj8XmhXdQT_600x450_2.jpg
    00K0K_5GdClqiDt8D_600x450_11.jpg
    00L0L_bnwxh2Cwd89_600x450_13.jpg
    00O0O_8bVCvHIvpt0_600x450_4.jpg
    00P0P_fd4NAryrqg8_600x450_7.jpg
    00r0r_1oaDmhiFIhi_600x450_11.jpg
    00S0S_6pegVM2FoGo_600x450_14.jpg
    00s0s_iJCuCIFCgjC_600x450_12.jpg
    00V0V_icLKUzqGkC6_600x450_6.jpg
    00303_jm0umJ6BJCY_600x450_3.jpg
    00505_9A2uE2B2qXN_600x450_15.jpg
    01515_a1qZ2nf8Z5H_600x450_5.jpg

16. Badbilly

United States
    I am still trying to understand what it is you want to know.

The quality of the Chinese fairings has been discussed to death. They ain't all that great.

I'll take a shot at this again. When you figure out what it is you want to do other then discuss a shitload of general paint subjects, fire away.

My advice at this point is to buy or check out a current text or magazine on automotive type painting.

17. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Don't worry about it Badbilly. I've hung around more automotive paint shops/dealerships/mechanics shops than most. Most of the mechanics in my area wonder why I'm not selling vehicles or underneath one. I won't do painting, because it could easily slow walk one down and don't want to mess up learning; I wanna ride clean. Can I, you damn right, I'm blessed with reading, studying, and putting it into practice whether YOU know it or not.

I could easily just buy a larger compressor and the requisite guns and go to work. I repaired the front cowl by just reading and investigating. I am always told my explorations are over the top or unreal, something that the mundane cannot understand, but every time at the end, I produce a product of excellence and somewhat outside the box.

Here it is: I have a 5TH Gen that will be painted and have enough paint left over for another set of OEM fairings for which I've already begun to purchase. That's why the paint job is so expensive. Parts have been taken to the painter for the quote. I have been derailed by having to pursue EE internship which has sent me across the country without my bikes. It will have a good suspension, front and rear, plus keeping all the parts to return to stock.

The 6TH Gen will be painted as well with that same red with more investment. I was toying with adding a second set of fairings without having to buy another gas tank. Two Italian reds is a bit boring. I liked that set but didn't want to destroy the value of the bike to someone who value stock over innovation.

Hey, I've eyed RWB and may jump on it, paint the 6th, and sell it. Who knows.

What I do know is that I want the 5th, Jackie, to do some track days and pretty doin it.
    What I want for the 6th, Sybil, is be a darling of a looker and more of a tourer because of it's weight.

To put it like this, I'm no talker. I lost 42lbs in four months so that I could scream at 151 miles an hour, GPS verified (minus their sucky error) in a short amount of time.

I came back in the stormy rain and lightning in the middle of the night only to have my mom, girlfriend, and closest associates, say that you have nothing else to prove, that was some man shit right there...

Yeah, I'm taking it out on you. I'll get it done. I just wanted to see if someone had a good experience out of the box without too much work and if anyone had purchased a set that looked like the pic I first posted.

Maybe when you are in a mentally toxic environment, loosing sleep, ready to go home and see your kids, had your apartment attacked while you slept, you'd be kinda nuttz too all while having to perform at level indicative of what is required of Purdue!

One of the mechanics at the shop near my school thought I was just a poser. When I pulled up doing 200 miles a day on my bike as a beginner, the owner took his money. He said that he knew I was rider from the start and befriended me and knows at my heart, I'm a rider, period.

Even looking for the elusive RC51 so I can take it out.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I wanted to get one straight. If I gotta shut up and offer the pics at the end or with a build thread with so much going on in my life so be it.

By the way Badbilly, nice bike. Ummm wouldn't it look better with a sticker or two on the tank? Will you cut and buff the clear, add decals, and apply a couple of coats over the clear? Oh damn, I should have not known that. Ooops.

18. Badbilly

United States
    Other than being impressed beyond what words can convey, ain't no clearcoat on me bike.

Do you have any good pasta recipes?

19. Badbilly

United States
    For those who might not have reached the zenith of all things motorcycle paintwise, and have little or no access to a brick and mortar shop, these folks have a shitload of product knowledge and stuff:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive...RPH_pYRQc1NULKcPGOArBbWfXAv-gGyTrqhoCs8rw_wcB

Or, WalMart still sells their generic rattlecan paint in three colors for 99 centavos a pop. The tax is the problem of the purchaser and his or her locale.

I have a sneaking feeling that Uncle Wally has made a deal with Sherwin-Williams on those rattlecans.

20. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    I have access to several brick and mortar shops. I had one guy but it was month and he had just begun to sand it AND STOPPED. He was asking only $400 but was going to paint it using some left over paint from one of his cars/trucks or a customers. Would have been a year! I wasn't too keen on a Pearl Red with all THAT much pearl in the paint anyway. I want stock.

I have a friend who paints across from the other guy that wants $750, and he is also cheap. Nahh, I want a great paint job even if I wreck the thing later, or sooner.

As far as a recipe goes for some pasta, I have a sausage and almond mix that would just melt in your mouth BadWillie, not my recipe though. I can forward it to ya though podnuh. You would enjoy. Take care and let me know.

On the other side, I might have found yet another bike ten hours out that looks pretty good in the pics I can afford and may be able to get all the parts off I want including another set of wheels, fairings, and gas tank.

It would be so much cheaper to get the entire bike. I'd probably resell the rest. Just a thought, one that I'd have to give some quick thought.

Take care fanboys and the unlike.