Yet another new 07 owner

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Lux, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Lux

Lux New Member

Ok, so I bought a new 07 VFR. I was going to buy it out of state and ride it back but after all things considered, it wouldn’t have been a huge savings so I got one local to me.

So first, a little about my riding history, I’ve only been riding for about 5 years but I have and had a variety of bikes. The reason I chose the VFR is because I wanted something that I could ride for long distances yet was sporty enough to still have “sportbike” fun (I get tired if I ride the CBR more than 250-300 miles in a day) and I didn’t want anything bigger like the ST or FJR.

I got the RWB with ABS for $9,699 OTD which is a pretty good price for SoCal and it was still in the crate when I went to the dealer. I almost bought the non-ABS, but because I would be taking this bike on long trips (unfamiliar roads), I opted for the extra safety. So far, I only have 500 miles on it but I thought I’d share my thoughts so far.

The comfort is just what I was looking for. Sure there are more comfortable bikes out there like the ST and FJR but the VFR features a nice compromise between a relaxed riding position and a sport position. I’ve ridden bikes that are more upright and for me, it makes for an awkward feel when riding spiritedly. I’ve only done 300 miles in one day on the VFR but I wasn’t tired at all. Basically, I wanted a comfortable sport bike and I think I got what I wanted.

The engine is fairly smooth but the fueling could be better. It surges a bit below 5k RPM and there’s a flat spot around the 4K – 5k RPM range so I think I’ll get a PCV for it down the road. Power is decent considering the weight of the bike and the displacement. The suspension is weird; it’s feels too soft in low speed reaction but too stiff in high speed reaction. So it wallows a bit on undulating roads yet if you hit a bump (like a lane reflector), the forks send the shock though the whole bike. Turn in is a bit slow but once in a turn, the bike tracks nicely and requires very little bar input to hold a line (feels pretty neutral). I took it to a local canyon (Palomar Mountain) and it did pretty well in the tight turns but it did drag the pegs easier than I would have liked.

I don’t like the exhaust sound, not because it’s quiet but because it sounds a bit like a scooter. I guess I’m used to my CBR exhaust (Akrapovic). I’ve been reading about aftermarket exhaust as well as gutting the stock exhaust so I’ll definitely be doing one of those soon.

Overall, I’m very happy with the VFR. It’s delivering what I want out of it and the little things that I don’t like can be resolved pretty easily.
    BTW, anyone that lives in SoCal with a gutted exhaust? I’ve heard some on youtube but it’s just not the same as hearing it in person.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    a power commander and exhaust will TRANSFORM your bike!
    youll love it! as far as the suspension... i havent started tinkering with that yet but have heard that dollar for dollar its money well spent... i guess im a squid lol.
    anyways welcome aboard! good write up!

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Welcome aboard. I hate to tell you this but I've heard of people getting brand new 07 with ABS for $1500+ less than what you paid. That's not pocket change and would be worth the trip even if it was a few states away.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. Lux

Lux New Member

Yeah, I know I could have gotten it for less but after adding airfair (oneway) hotel, gas for the ride back and tax when I got to the DMV, it wasn't worth it to me.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    You could have bought it over the internet or phone and had it shipped. Anyways don't fret over it, just get out and ride the damn thing. Does it get cold where you are located or do you ride year round??

Regards,
    Rollin

7. Lux

Lux New Member

Here's some pics :smile:

Attached Files:

8. Lux

Lux New Member

I know, but it costs anywhere from $300-$500 to ship plus the $800 for California state tax. It does get a little cold but not too bad. Yesterday was really nice with temps around 65 - 70 deg. The pic of me riding was from yesterday at Palomar Mountain.

9. CoryUT

CoryUT New Member

Congrats on the new bike! I just did the same thing a month ago. Non-ABS model for $8699 OTD from LA Cyclesports. I did it for the same reasons you did (avoid other fees and hassle), and because my old Ducati ST4s kept giving me problems and was becoming a major inconvenience. Sure there are better deals, but we didn't exactly get ripped off.

As for the peg scraping, remove those feelers if you haven't already. I also don't notice any significant surging (only VERY slow speeds and even then it's minor), but that might because I'm coming from a moody V-Twin.

I've heard a lot about Palomar but I haven't made it down there yet. Enjoy the ride!

10. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    congrats on the new 07 RWB, great choice.

i like that action shot by rick clemson.:thumbsup:

11. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Congrats on your new VFR! Nice pix, too. :thumbsup:

Exhaust and suspension mods can cost some dough, but are worth it for many people - esp. if you're riding the bike hard. I'm running the stock cans still, but will mod my suspension over the winter/off-season.

12. sorka

sorka New Member

Um, how do you figure?

Lets run the numbers.

Cheapest new out of state 07s having been going on ebay for $6900 from several midwest and east coast dealers. This is pretty much the lowest price you see.

Add ABS, and this jumps to about $7900 on ebay. Add RWB and that adds another $400 or so leaving RWB ABS 07s on ebay for the lowest price I've seen yet at about $8300.

On top of that, those dealers are all adding a the setup fee of about $400 to $600. Let's take the lowest. Now you're up to $8700.

Now before considering transportation or shipping, how much is that once you register it in CA?

It's about $9600 after DMV sales tax, license, and title.

So assuming he could have gotten the brand new ABS RWB 07 into the state for no shipping costs, his deal would have been as good as the one he got out the door at a local dealer.

However, in his case, he save the shipping and a two way ticket or the one way ticket and having to drive it at least 1500 miles home as that is the closest dealer selling for those prices.

Now let's throw in some additional facts:

Every one of those dealers requires that you're there in person which means flying out. None of them would sell over the phone.

Secondly, even though all 07 VFRs have the same emissions, the out state ones don't actually have the CA sticker which means you have to put 7500 miles on the bike before you can register it.

Why do I know all of this? Because I've spent the last 2 months trying to buy the very same bike out of state and have finally given up and will do it in CA.

Given that the OP got it for only $9600 OTD, that says to me that CA dealers are coming down in price again. Two months ago when I called all of the southern CA dealers, I couldn't have touched that price. Remember, the OP got it for $9600 Out The Door. The price before setup and all the taxes was much lower.

13. nogoodpig

nogoodpig New Member

Map
    I purchased a 2007 RWB NON-ABS at Simi Valley Honda in SoCal, with bags, for $9727, $900 was for the bags, all in, tax, lic, setup, etc...
    I'll pick it up tomorrow.
    The dealership is family owned and operated, they seem like good people. My local dealer (in Ventura) wanted over $500 for setup, which I'm told takes about an hour.
    L Smith

14. Lux

Lux New Member

LOL, I was going to type something like that but I went for the lazy way and just said "it wasn't worth it" :smile:

15. Lux

Lux New Member

Congrats! I went to my dealer with the non-abs in mind but when I got there, I saw they had the (my) ABS RWB still in the crate.:thumbsup:

16. CoryUT

CoryUT New Member

Congrats to you as well :smile:

I'm in TO, so shoot me a PM if you want to ride. Looks like we have similar taste in bikes.

17. nogoodpig

nogoodpig New Member

Map
    I'm looking forward to the Honda, I have two Ducatis now, an ST2 and an ST4s, I'm hopeful that the Honda will be somewhere in the middle. The ST2 is my fav, the ST4s is a beast. If the Honda is what I hope for... well, Ducatis get under your skin. Maybe this Honda does have a soul.
    L Smith

18. CoryUT

CoryUT New Member

I like my ST4s when it's running, and when I don't have to deal with traffic. I've gotten pretty fed up with it though. I've really been enjoying the VFR.

19. nogoodpig

nogoodpig New Member

Map
    My experience with the ST4s is the same. It just flat fails to start three or four times a year. My ST2 is a rock, never fails.
    I'll keep all three for a while and figure it out. Winner takes most. The ST2 stays, no matter what.
    L Smith

20. MAKALUMA

MAKALUMA New Member

RWB very good choice. Enjoy BANZAI!