Your Non-Moto Dream Toy

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by A.M, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
  2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Resisting zombies in ultimate luxury?! Yes please!!

These machines being posted are amazing! Drooooooooling....

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    My dream car would be the '69 Cougar XR7 vert equipped with the 428 Cobra Jet Ram-Air engine like the red one featured in the James Bond movie "On Her Magesty's Secret Service". I owned a blue '70 Cougar vert for many years that I added an OEM hood scoop to so it was essentially a 428 CJ Ram-Air clone, but mine was the non-XR7 base model and it only had the 351 Cleveland 2V engine.

Attached Files:

4. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
  5. Solarninja

Solarninja New Member

United States
    Map
  6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I have an Atom in my garage - in fact I just drove it to 1st place at Melbourne and Indy :beguiled:
    I'm not really a gamer but I do love me some Real Racing!

Attached Files:

7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I actually worked for a company that filmed exactly that. I was the AD in one of those helicopters you see flying in the background. 75 feet of of the water, flat out as fast as the bird would fly. It's a very cool way to see the San Francisco Bay.

8. A.M

GatorGreg, well look at you holding out this whole time!

Now that's how to make a dream virtual reality. :playful:

With the winnings I see there you have enough to ship one to Kansas...

9. A.M

Geeze, that must have been an amazing time. What a rush!! How'd you ever get a job like that?

10. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Those were beautiful planes, like the spitfires they just looked so mean and menacing.

11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    They are mean an menacing. The Germans thought so. I also want an original Cobra AC 427. I'd sell it, bank most of the money and build a nice kit Cobra.

12. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    My dive computer, Suunto Eon steel. Finally was able to justify buying it as my old eyes could no longer read my watch sized one.

fullsizeoutput_f41.jpg

12495161_10153584884032771_6637465247400915718_n.jpg

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Some great P51 footage here: Hoovers show P51 was stripped of all gun mounted and armor. A back seat was added. Much of the info on Hoover is about powered aircraft. He was also a great sailplane pilot. If you get one, be careful on takeoff using too much throttle. The torque from the engine can induce a roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mm6Ok0ZJY0&index=12&list=PLp4xCArLiDYRQFOd7HBNFILE4cndpMnlJ

The 50 cal guns can be tricky too. After firing the brass is ejected too. This loss in total weight can cause a nose up configuration that can make the bird a little hard to keep on target.

The many iterations of the P51 Mustang surpassed the Spitfires. All this data is on the net.

14. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Found this on the net.

"To be fair, you'd have to assume that the two aircraft were being flown by pilots of equal skill and experience. The two models that it is most fair to compare would be the Spitfire XIV and P-51D, which were the primary models in service with their respective services in mid-1944. The Spitfire XIV actually entered service in January 1944, five months before the P-51D.

The Spitfire XIV was faster than the Mustang, more maneuverable, had a higher service ceiling, could climb better, and even had a better rate of roll, which was formerly the Mustang's only performance advantage over the Spitfire. It was superior to the P-51D in EVERY combat category except initial dive speed and range, and the only way range came into play in a dogfight is if the P-51 could fly around long enough for the Spit to run out of fuel!

Some quotes:

William Dunn (US fighter ace who flew Spitfires, P-51s, Hurricanes, and P-47s): "Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others - one that I'd rather have tied to the seat of my pants in any tactical situation - it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."

Eric Brown (RN test pilot and holder of the world record for number of types of aircraft flown): "I have flown both for many hours, and would choose the Spitfire [over the Mustang] if given a choice in a fight to the death."

Writer Jerry Scutts, quoting German pilots in his book JG 54: "The Jagflieger had to keep a wary eye out for enemy fighters, particularly Spitfires, a type JG 54's pilots had developed a particular aversion to...Pilot reflections do not, surprisingly enough, reflect over-much respect for the Mustang or Lightning, both of which the Germans reckoned their Fockes were equal to - unless they were met in substantial numbers."

Gordon Levitt, Israeli fighter pilot, comparing the Spitfire, Mustang, and Avia S-199 (Jumo-engined Bf 109), all of which the Israelis flew: "Despite the pros and cons, the Spitfire was everyone's first choice."

Karl Stein, Luftwaffe Fw 190 pilot (who served mainly on the Eastern front): "English and American aircraft appeared on the scene in those closing days of the European war. Spitfires were the most feared, then Mustangs..."

USAAF 31st FG War Diary (when transferring from Spitfires to P-51s): "Although pilots think that the P-51 is the best American fighter, they think the Spitfire VIII is the best fighter in the air."

USAAF pilot Charles McCorkle (who flew both in combat), reporting on a mock combat between a Spitfire and Mustang in 1944: "Now we could see which was the better aircraft...a Mustang and a Spit took off for a scheduled 'combat', flown by two top young flight commanders. When the fighters returned, the pilots had to agree that the Spitfire had won the joust. The Spit could easily outclimb, outaccelerate, and outmaneuver its opponent..."

The Mustang was a great fighter, but it was great because it had the range the Spitfire lacked, enabling it to take the fight to the enemy.

But in a one-on-one dogfight, there's absolutely no comparison. The Spitfire would win decisively, 99 times out of 100..."

15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I have a thing for sail boats. Back in my college days I had a buddy with a 16 foot Hobie Cat. We used to take it out every weekend. I know it's not 350 hp but it's pretty exciting to get that rig trimmed just right and screaming across the lake. I would like to find an affordable day sailor like a Catalina 22 or an Gulf Coast 21. I keep my eye on the boat ads on Craigslist but I know that with my work and my parents I don't really have time to sail. It's like playing golf. It takes all day.

16. Badbilly

United States
    There you go:

"To be fair, you'd have to assume that the two aircraft were being flown by pilots of equal skill and experience. The two models that it is most fair to compare would be the Spitfire XIV and P-51D, which were the primary models in service with their respective services in mid-1944. The Spitfire XIV actually entered service in January 1944, five months before the P-51D.

To really be "fair" both pilots of "equal skill" would have to have flown both planes under the same conditions, hopefully not in actual combat.

To really be "fair" both aircraft would have to be compared. the Spitfire XIV ( that's number 14 for the numerically challenged) and the P51D both appearing on near the end of WWII

To really be "fair" the number of kills could be factored in.

To really be "fair" most of the pilots quoted have passed.

To really be "fair" this was the time of a world war and information and technology as was darn near everything else was shared.

To really be "fair" when two "flight commanders" engaged in a mock combat and since USAAF pilots are called by rank, we might assume that the flight commanders could have been just a bit biased as were the same corresponding ranks of Yank pilots. Keep in mind that the guys on all sides that flew fighters and light bombers were a young as 17, in some cases. This can influence the we have the best fish and chips vs we have the best apple pie.

17. Badbilly

United States
    First time I saw a Hobie Cat I was fishing the tetrapods on the Arco platform off the coast of Ventura. All I could see until the guy got more inshore was somebody hauling ass out on the blue. I though it was just a fast powered boat. Then I could make out the sail..

The Hobie Trimarans I am pretty sure are from a design of a larger trimaran designed and constructed by one of my nephews who lives on Kauai. The Hobie is a miniaturized version.

My last "board" was a Hobie built by his original shop and maybe even by Hobie Alter himself. Not much need for an 11' board these days and besides the water in my hood is too cold for me. My cowabungas freeze easily..

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I was always amazed at the feeling of acceleration that you got with the Hobie. It's amazing. It's like being motor powered but it's just the wind. There is nothing like getting the whole boat up on one pontoon and flying along using your body as ballast and keeping the mast out of the drink. Yes, the Hobie is a warm water sail. We always ended up in the water on every excursion.

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    My Dad ( God bless his soul) and I had a Catalina 30 for about 15 years in Chanel Islands--- talk about upkeep, but the power of the wind and silence was incredible. Plus being single it was 100% fer sure Luehr for young innocent women.
    Also had a Hobie 16 as well--- thanks
    BJ, haven't thought about those memories in a year and a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So, basically you are saying we can discount the opinions of those pilots?
    Who actually flew them in combat situations in the planes heyday?
    Obviously, anyone flying a mustang or spit now has a better understanding of their attributes.
    You made a comment saying the data was there, I refuted it with data.
    Your move.