What is the best SPORT-tour tire for the VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by reg71, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Best SPORT-tour tire in your opinion

1. Pirelli Diablo

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Bridgestone Battlaxe

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Michelin Pilot Road

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Continental Road Attack

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  5. Dunlop Roadsmart

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Metzeler M3

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  7. Pirelli Corsa III

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Michelin 2CT

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Pirelli Strada

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. Shinko (any)

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    The way I look at sport-touring tires is I put them into two different categories, the first category is the $250.00 a set range which includes tires like the Road Attack, Pilot Powers & the Diablo's, these three tires offer great traction with decent feel when really attacking the twistys.

The second category is the $350.00 a set range which includes tires like the 2CT's & Corsa 3's, now these tires offer great traction with exceptional feel when rocking the twistys. Now these are my tires of choice because the feedback they offer but the downside is they get very pricey over the course of a summer for someone who rides a lot of miles.

2. pritch

pritch New Member

I didn't like the BT020s that came as OE on the VFR, they slid around too much in the wet on our roads. They got the heave early and were replaced with Metzeler Z6s.
    The Z6s give me about 7,000 miles. I've run several pairs of the latter and have no complaints.

There was this itch I wanted to scratch though and I'm currently running Diablo Rosso. ST tyres are more appropriate to my riding, however, and I will revert to these next time.

BIKE magazine in the UK named the Dunlop Roadsmart their tyre of 2008.
    When next it's time for tyres it'll probably be the Roadsmarts or possibly the Angels. Hopefully I'm not in too much of a hurry...

3. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I'm liking the recommendations so far. I got to say I'm intriqued by the Pirellis. When my set of M3's wear out I might try some Pirellis. I see from looking around at online sources it's not that much more than the Road Attacks. The only thing keeping me from trying the Michelins and Dunlops is the price.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    maybe we should have 4 polls. one for bargain SPORTtour tires, one for pricey SPORTtour and one for bargain sportTOUR and pricey sportTOUR tires... I wish we had a prg for more involved polling but we just don't have it. Maybe someone has written an add-on that I haven't seen.

5. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Two CTs also last longer. I've put a couple grand on my PRII's and haven't even noticed any wear except for the sides, where some of the tread pattern is missing rubber.

Though, I think the 2CT's are better for people like me who commute daily, and make use of the meat on the sides on the weekends, so there's no swapping necessary, but long life and exceptional grip.

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Another idea, it would be nice to have a section on the home page say, FAQs that would list the polls, stickies, reviews, etc... The problem is that even if we all have separate poll threads it's gonna be tricky for the newbies to find it. If I enter tire review in the search engine I get 38 threads and this thread is nowhere in the search results.

VFRWorld has a lot of great info but you gotta really dig for them and I'm sure the newbies and veterans alike would benefit from some kind of list of immportant threads. Oh, and don't forget to list the hitler vfr video :lol:

7. Superceptor02

Superceptor02 New Member

Dunlop RoadSmart is a great tire I have over 5 thousand miles on mine with quite a bit of tire left over. Probably can get 2-3 thousand more. In fact the rear probably has a little more than the front for some reason. You may be saying he doesn't push them, but actually I ride the dragon once a week and take a couple 1000 mile tours a year. They grip extremely well no complaint. I also feel that turn in is pretty good. I will no doubt re-buy these tires

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, we have the wiki, but it really hasn't taken off much. I think I am the only one that has done much editing on it. mostly I cut and paste links to applicable messages in the wiki categories. not really the way wikipedia is, but it kind of works...

If we come up with a really great way of presenting the tire reviews and keep it cleaned up, it's no problem getting it stuck somewhere easy to find. All we have to do is put it in the FAQ that's on the front page. Along with the hitler video...

9. nunyadamnbiz

nunyadamnbiz New Member

Yeah I was running Mich. Pilot Power on rear, and Pilot power 2ct on front. I got around 3K on the rear and just replaced it with the Pilot Road 2. I love it so for, very sticky, great control, just curious what kind of life I see compared to the Power. Time will tell........JOEY whats up man, are we riding next weekend. K

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  11. Spectre

Spectre New Member

Michelin Road Pilot 2CT's. :thumbsup:

12. MIKECINDE

MIKECINDE New Member

Map
    I've been considering the Pirelli Diablos. What's your thoughts on the slower, in town speeds? I'm rarely out in wet weather so not too concerned with that. Thanks! Mike

13. jay956

jay956 New Member

i commute almost everyday on the stradas. ive had no problems, even in the rain. very stable on the highway.

14. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

These tire threads are like the oil ones............CONTI ROAD ATTACKS!!!

I've tried the Diablo Stradas too. I liked the Conti better and went back to them.
    They are inexpensive, stick like glue, and last longer than any super sport tire. I had rubber balled up and curling over the edges after a hot canyon run = confidence.

15. someguy

someguy New Member

Mike, i too commute on the Strada's and i'm very happy. Sounds like there's a strong following and some strong evidence the Corsa would be a fine choice as well....
    Good luck!

16. Hitandrun

Hitandrun New Member

Southwest Mototires

Southwest Mototires is a very good tire source with FREE SHIPPING. I think their prices are very competitive and actually lower than most of the other stores posted. I know several others who bought from them and were all very satisfied. http://www.swmototires.com/

17. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    ok great views on tires mines another one for mich pilot road my current set has 8.000miles on them with plenty left the previous ownedr wrote in the owners manual after changing them out after 13,630miles they were still good so im shooting for about at least 18,000 on this set

18. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I live in Tucson and have only gotten tires once from SWMT. I have ordered from Ride Direct - Motorcycle Tires, Parts, Accessories and more - www.ridedirect.com three times because they have free shipping and low prices. I will continue to use them until SWM values my local business by not acting like they are doing me a favor by selling tires. I have asked if they'll match prices and they declined. Their loss.

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I went back and added the poll pulling most of the tires that have been named so far. As this is all we have currently for polling oprions, it'll have to do. My specs when I chose were: Handling (grip, turn-in, feel, confidence), Wear (how many miles, flat spot from commute?, cupping), and cost (must be affordable to me), looks (do I like the way the tires look on the bike?)

In my opinion, and since I started the poll I get to choose if a tire costs $300 and grips phenominally, it is not as good as a $200 tire that grips almost as well. If I can corner on a set of $200 tires as well as I can on the $300 tires, then the $200 ones are BETTER. Price must be considered a factor to me.

Handling - I need to have confidence that the tires will hang in there as long as I do. If they heat up well, stick wel, turn in quickly, l and don't give me too many wiggles in a corner then we are golden.

Wear - If they can last 3000 miles, I am happy. I know some of you get many, many more miles than that, but I just don't. I don't know why I don't but I don't. Nuff said.

Looks - Dammit, call me crazy, but I think a tire should look good as well as all the other stuff. Is it a no sell if it's not a good looking tire? No, but if I like the looks on one that performs the same as the other and the cost is about the same, I'm going for the one that appeals to me.

Please consider these factors when you vote. For now, this is what we have on the tire poll. Maybe in the future we can all come up with something better.

20. jay956

jay956 New Member

i did about 2 hours in the rain today, about 40 minutes in really really heavy rain. and the stradas felt fantastic, i was only on the highway though.

ive got over 3000 miles on them now, very little wear so far.