86 vfr 750 G starting issues

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by shirmik, Sep 10, 2013.

1. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Hi All,
    New to this site so please bear with me.

I have a 1986 vfr 750 G which has been in the family for some years. It has been sitting in my shed for about 2 years without having a good run. I have started it in the past just to make sure it still runs ok, however, I have just tried to get it going for the first time in about 12 months and nothing! Turns over fine but no run. Checked fuel and fuel supply, spark and all the usual things with old motors, but still nothing. I resorted to a can of "start ya bugger" but still had no joy. Fuel pump seems to be working ok but do you have to bleed the fuel system?
    The other concern is because it has sat for so long without running, would the fuel in the carbs have gone off or even jellified? If so, is there a simple fix without pulling all 4 carbs apart. I dont really want to disturb them too much as last time bike ran, was going like a rocket.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike.

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
  3. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Ok.....got the yes, no bit and understand but below "cleaning carbs" is just bloody ads!!! I assume there was meant to be a link and thanks fir the quick reply.

4. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Opps...............cleaning carbs is the link, sorry.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It could be a really quick, simple job if all you need is to clean the crud out of the idle jets. For cleaning, the carbs almost never need to be separated from the airbox bottom or dunked in a solution. You'll also need to flush the petrol tank a few times to remove all traces of old, jellified fuel and debris.

You can get most of the directions you need from the link Kennyboy posted, but carbs are very fragile and won't tolerate heavy-handedness.......or being dropped !

6. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    All the above helped a lot and carbs are now clean. Probably cleaner than the factory put out!! Now have another issue, no spark at any of the plugs. Have gone through and done all the usual checks ie, broken or loose wiring, checked coils and plug leads for continuity, stator or altinator and all seems fine so its all pointing back to the CDI unit. There is one thing that could be an issue and not sure how to solve. The kill switch. Is there a way of bypassing it to take it out of the equation? Would certainly be a lot quicker and easier to fix than pulling bike apart to change a CDI unit. A lot cheaper as well.....

7. NormK

NormK New Member

You could pull the switch apart and test across the wires to see if you have continuity through the switch. Bit of a pain but that is fault finding.

8. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Also, sidestand switch, clutch switch, neutral switch/indicator, any of these could do the same as the run/stop switch.

9. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Ok, now its getting a little more complex. Bike starts and runs ok although a bit of a misfire every 30 seconds or so. Took it for a road test and is struggling to get past 5500rpm in any gear. Even trying to keep it at 110kph, is surging slightly, which to me indicates a fuel problem. Tank has been cleaned out and carbs removed and jets cleaned. Nothing else was disturbed while cleaning out carbs. All the electrical stuff has been checked and seems to be working ok, well, shows resistance. Fuel pump has been checked and flow is good, bike getting the required amount of fuel. The little misfire I mentioned before "could" be an issue. At high revs that misfire could be 10 fold and causing the problem but bike rides fine at low speeds. Im really bashing my head against a brick wall at the moment so any ideas would be much appreciated.

10. NormK

NormK New Member

Have you check the charge rate, what volts at the battery at idle and at revs? coil / plug leads? Where in Aus are you? Remove the tank and try with a fuel bottle direct into the carbs after the fuel pump and that will give you some idea. At least it removes the tank/pump from the situation and if the 30 second flutter is still there I would be thinking electrical.

11. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Im in the Goldfields WA. Coolgardie to be precise. Have checked the charge rate at idle and 14.2 volts but not checked at revs yet.
    You have me thinking now!! Have had to use the jump pack a couple of times when cold as battery does go down quick if it doesnt fire in the first couple of attempts. Please dont tell me it could be something that simple????
    Bit hard to road test it with a bottle feeding the carbs but will definately try it at idle to see if it still has that slight misfire.
    Thanks for the quick reply, will be back soon as I find out something different or new.

12. NormK

NormK New Member

Coolgardie is a bit far away from Melb to start swapping parts around to see what is bad :biggrin: ... Very long hose on the bottle should help,or could tape it to the top of the screen with duct tape :biggrin: ...

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Did that once to test ride a bike, fuel reservoir with syphon tube carried in a backpack.