Best tires for the bike

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Comicus, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

For this reason alone, I'll steer you away from the "premium" brands.

You are not likely to ride hard/aggressive enough to need the additional grip and warrant the additional expense of the "premium" tires.

My recommendation (& I've used almost everything out there) for your particular needs is the Shinko 009's.
    More grip than you'll need, and less money than you need to spend.

Mine cost me $180- installed (wheels off the bike) - A decent local shop should be able to roll you out for no more than $200- for both F&R (wheels on).

2. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Metzler Sportec M3s, my tire of choice. good grip,feedback in all weather.
    my .02

3. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Pilot Road 2's. Dual compound so they last and soft sides for plent of grip. I usually get around 4K from a rear tire, I've got a little over 4K on the rear now and expect to get another 2K.

Action

4. herbieflower

herbieflower New Member

Map
    :) tnx riders!

I checked for 006's @ motocycle-superstore.com. (around 220€)

Still don't know ... Metz or Shinko... or sth else...
    I must say, that I mostly ride w/ my girlfriend... & this year we're planning to go on Tour de Europe (around 3000 km) - 2 up (something like @ Edelweiss tours).

Any suggestions...

5. herbieflower

herbieflower New Member

Map
    Hi!

I bought Metzeler Z6 and I'm already getting 100% better filling than with BT020.

I like them, and riding across the Europe should be supreme fun!

6. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    just curious????????????????????????????????????????????????? why have I never seen a race bike ama world gp dirt baja etc.. with shinko's??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? does anyone know of a factory rider using shinkos for anything but fence post covers? myself chinshe:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:ng alll the way ...heard stoner going chen very soon................................................................:wink:

7. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    IMO best value and grip to me is the Bridgestone BattlAX BT016, they are relatively inexpensive and grip really well (enough to drag knee). I have a set on my GSXR750 and they worked great....i managed to get 6K miles out of them too with mixed canyon and commuting use. They run about $230 shipped for a set.

8. herbieflower

herbieflower New Member

Map
    Hei!

I'm very pleased with Z6. Now I have 3000+ km and still perfect grip.

I didn't go across the Europe tho. Lack of €€€.. :(

cya

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Michelin CT2's here.

10. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Michelin Power Pilots grip the road great. But, with only 500 miles on them I already have a flat spot forming down the center from my 45 mile round trip commute.

11. asfltdncr

asfltdncr New Member

I'm not a racer but the tires that came on mine Metzler m4 I believe slipped around a lot more than the Dunlop Roadsmarts I just installed.They are also supposed to last quite a long time.

12. NOLA VFR

NOLA VFR New Member

Map
    Pilot Power 2CTs. Love them. Based on reviews on the high lean angle they can take, they probabl out-perform my current riding abillity. So they stick like glue within my ability.

13. asfltdncr

asfltdncr New Member

That doesn't even make any sense.

14. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I can see a white line down the center of my rear tire that goes around the entire circumference. Do I need a new tire? If so, you mean I can only expect to get 12,000 miles out of a tire? (heeheehee)

15. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Loads of opinions and information - Really Great stuff. I am another person who rides year round and I have tried different brands and tires on my 2k VFR. I have come to like the Avon Storm ST tyres and the Dunlop RoadSmart tires. Funny thing is I do not like either company, but their product meets my needs for my style of riding. I like the Avon Storm ST tyres in the warmer months because the tire profile provides better flickability (really easy to lean the bike) then the Dunlop Roadsmart. The Dunlop Roadsmart tyres are my favorite for cold and winter riding (actually good for year round riding), because the tires has a flat profile with a softer ride - also better front feedback than the Avon Storm ST. I have a Yamaha YZF 600R that I use on the track and have recently put Dunlop Qualifiers on the bike. The Dunlop Qualifiers really run nice on the track (much better than the Avon Storm STs - they melt on the track and will slip) they warm up quickly, get excellent grip and again front wheel feedback is great (must be a Dunlop trait). I have used Metzlers on my old GoldWing but they did not wear very well, and at approx 6k miles I would get a high speed wiggle - maybe it was the suspension or just me and my imagination. The only tires I do not have confindence in but still respect the product is Bridgestone. I have friends that love Bridgestone tyres but they just don't work for me - Brigdestone is a very reputable company and they do tyres for MotoGP and other international racing series so they must know what they are doing. I also think the Michelin Pilot and Road tyres are great but wear too fast for me. I may consider Pirelli tyres next time around for the VFR.

16. ken98043

ken98043 New Member

I just broke in a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s over the weekend and now I love my bike even more. These tires are GREAT...

17. 05 silvervfr

05 silvervfr New Member

I run Michelin pilot power and love them.They stick great and last pretty good i got 6500 miles out of the rear and just installed another one.One thing i noticed not to many people mentioned how there preferance in tire was in the rain.I can say the pilot powers stick very well in the wet stuff ,but thats only my opinion.

18. grinder

grinder New Member

I also run the avon st's and am happy with them. I am not a knee dragger but do enjoy corners. Much more confidence inspiring than the dunlops. The dunlops always felt imprecise to me.

19. darepoman

darepoman New Member

I got your back I run Qualifiers to, and the bike corners like it's on rails. I only got 5700 miles on my last back tire but that was a lot of hard riding no burn outs thou.

20. scrumfle

scrumfle New Member

I think tires are somewhat like sneakers...if you are just going from point a to b, it doesn't matter who endorses what. Just because a pro racer/athlete isn't using them doesn't mean they are bad sneakers or tires. If you are more aggressive or ride in various conditions, it is probably best to go with what is proven to work...ie. the more expensive brands. I wish I had the money to try all the different recommended tires here to see what is best for me, but since I don't at the moment, I went with the recommendation for the Shinkos...just bought a set, shipped, from bikebandit for $179...shinko 009 Ravens. I am not an aggressive rider, don't ride much in the rain and if I do it is probably only for 5 miles back home. Living in northern NH rules out winter riding especially where I live. and even if they do suck, a cheap tire is better than a worn out good tire.

I did read this on their website:
    Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.