Motorcycle won't start

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Warren H, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Warren H

Warren H New Member

United States
    I have been riding my vfr for a couple for months and one day when riding the bike just turned off. I have tried to get it to neutral but the light is not showing up whenever I hit it and it stays in gear. I got a new battery and starter installed but whenever I try to start it up the motor doesn't turn on. I am wondering if the problem is with the engine and if I need to take it to the mechanic. I wanted to see if anyone else has advice?

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Warren H and welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

It always sad to see a new forum member start out with an issue, but hopefully the folks on here will be able to help.

You may want to update your forum profile to include an approxiate location (City/State) so ita appears with all your posts and you may be lucky and find someone living nearby is willing to swing by and offer advice or pick up a wrench especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge :drink:.

Given your comment about it cutting out whilst riding - I suspect the precise cause of your failure may well be electrical - sadly 5th Gens have a long history of electrical gremlins - as this thread will reveal.

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

BUT before falling down that rabbit hole please can you do some basic checks and provide a bit more info. First check the battery is not totally dead - turn the lights on? Also inherently the starter is inhibited if the bike is in any gear and the side stand is down. So if it really is stuck in gear it won't want to start up unless you sit astride the bike, raise the side stand, pull the clutch and then try the starter. If the starter does not turn over the engine, then check your battery is not dead and probably check the charging system has not failed see post #9 in above link

Also if it really is stuck in gear then you should be able to confirm this by seeing if you can wheel the bike.

If the bike turns over and fires up you have eliminated a lot of things such as the starter from the equation, and can then check to see that with the engine running you can ease the bike into neutral. If it wont go into neutral then check the gear shift linkage is not missing, loose or damaged.

I hope that gives you some pointers - Please let us know how you get on - as your feedback may help others.

Good luck

SkiMad

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    As well, start checking the simple stuff first..... all the fuses, ground connection right side of frame, and ground block/spider on the left side taped into the main harness near the regulator.

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    You didn't happen to bump the kill switch did you?
    Did that once myself, and it took me a few minutes to figure it out.
    If the kill switch is in the "off" position, the fuel pump will not prime (if it has one) and no matter if it is in neutral or not, the motor will not turn over.

5. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Warren.
    Please check VFRD where you posted the same thing, think we need some better info from you regards the issue.